Digital Art Zone

2 of 9
Garibaldi vs. Look At My Hair - which is better overall/better for an amateur?
Posted: 16 May 2013 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  252
Joined  2012-10-05

*grumble* I wish I could make up my mind. What I really wish I could have is a couple of quick renders (with LAMH and Garibaldi) of the kind of hairstyle I want to create (i.e., late-Victorian/Edwardian “Gibson Girl” pompadour/hair roll) so that I could really get an idea of which would be better for what I want to do. :\

P.S. How long are the sales going to go on for? I don’t want to miss out because I was dithering for too long.

Posted: 16 May 2013 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1612
Joined  2005-02-25

I could do more for V4, i suppose. its just that a hair preset goes so much further on Genesis.. it may not fit all shapes perfectly but it can be used on most, usually!  I personally use Genesis almost exclusively now (i’ve converted all of Gen 4 and Gen 3 morphs and characters and textures over, as well as all their clothes… ) so no reason to use them anymore, really for me smile

However I can work on a few more V4 presets in the future.  Anything in particular you’d like, joea64?

edit: i googled gibson hair… wow what a hair challenge… how many hours did it take ladies to do their hair every day? and how many painful hairpins?? gosh!

Well as you saw my pictures earlier, i think I can do it, BUT it would probably, due to the amount of detail that would be needed for a hair of that complexity, be a fairly heavy load.  But definitely doable.

you can test LAMH, not so for GB.  I will say that i i watch the GB thread and havent’ seen anything at the same levels of complexity for styles if you want to make things lilke Gibson hair, LAMH is probably the best route.

Posted: 16 May 2013 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05
belovedalia - 16 May 2013 01:11 PM

I could do more for V4, i suppose. its just that a hair preset goes so much further on Genesis.. it may not fit all shapes perfectly but it can be used on most, usually!  I personally use Genesis almost exclusively now (i’ve converted all of Gen 4 and Gen 3 morphs and characters and textures over, as well as all their clothes… ) so no reason to use them anymore, really for me smile

However I can work on a few more V4 presets in the future.  Anything in particular you’d like, joea64?

As I said, at the very top of my list is late-Victorian/Edwardian-era hairstyles, particularly the so-called “Gibson Girl” type.  It looks like this (from, of course, a classic Charles Dana Gibson drawing):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Gibson_Girls_seaside_-cropped-_by_Charles_Dana_Gibson.jpg

I’ve been looking literally ever since I started using Daz Studio for hairstyles of this type, and though I’ve had a number of suggestions, none of them has ever been really satisfactory/authentic-looking. The closest I’ve ever found is Biscuits’ Vivian Hair, but that’s a prop rather than a proper hairstyle set and has very limited morphs.

Following that, I’d like to have/create classic piled-up curly hairstyles of the type worn during the Napoleonic/Regency era, and then 40’s/50’s-style movie-star/model/pinup hairstyles.

Posted: 16 May 2013 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-25
joea64 - 16 May 2013 01:20 PM

As I said, at the very top of my list is late-Victorian/Edwardian-era hairstyles, particularly the so-called “Gibson Girl” type.  It looks like this (from, of course, a classic Charles Dana Gibson drawing):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Gibson_Girls_seaside_-cropped-_by_Charles_Dana_Gibson.jpg

I’ve been looking literally ever since I started using Daz Studio for hairstyles of this type, and though I’ve had a number of suggestions, none of them has ever been really satisfactory/authentic-looking. The closest I’ve ever found is Biscuits’ Vivian Hair, but that’s a prop rather than a proper hairstyle set and has very limited morphs.

Following that, I’d like to have/create classic piled-up curly hairstyles of the type worn during the Napoleonic/Regency era, and then 40’s/50’s-style movie-star/model/pinup hairstyles.

I was updating my post when you posted a reply. smile

Are you looking to make your own hair, or for free hair? I mean the player is nice but once you get hooked you’ll want to make your own. raspberry I have wanted ever since i got into Daz, to make my own hair…. its blissful smile

Posted: 16 May 2013 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05
belovedalia - 16 May 2013 01:23 PM
joea64 - 16 May 2013 01:20 PM

I was updating my post when you posted a reply. smile

Are you looking to make your own hair, or for free hair? I mean the player is nice but once you get hooked you’ll want to make your own. raspberry I have wanted ever since i got into Daz, to make my own hair…. its blissful smile

Well, that’s why I’m looking to buy either LAMH or Garibaldi - like I said in my OP, I’ve gotten tired of not being able to find any hairstyle that meets my needs/wants/picky specifications, so I’m now at the point of wanting to try making my own hair.

The classic “Gibson girl” style is my favorite, of course, but there were lots of other hairstyles during the 1890’s and 1900’s, right up to 1914, that would do as well, be as authentic and probably be easier/‘simpler to make. If you’ve ever seen Downton Abbey or Mr. Selfridge, then you’ll have a pretty good idea of what I’m going for (the latter is set in the early 1900’s, the former - first season, specifically, during the 1912-1914 period, think “Titanic”).

Posted: 16 May 2013 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-25

HAH! watch out, that’s how it starts! “i just want to make a couple hair to meet MY requirements…”
Next thing you know, you’re staring dreamily at a stranger’s hair at a bus stop, planning your steps to recreate it in LAMH….

I tell you I have a massive list of hair styles on my to-do list. Just not the time to make them all when I want to smile

*sits back and waits for a new hair-making addict to join the club*

hee hee hee!

Posted: 16 May 2013 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05

Try this site:

http://www.fashion-era.com/hair_hats_187099.htm (basic silhouettes of representative hairstyles from 1870 to 1900)

http://www.fashion-era.com/hats-hair/hats_hair_6_hairstyles_fashion_history_1900_1920.htm (hairstyles and hats from 1900 to 1920)

http://www.fashion-era.com/la_belle_epoque_1890-1914_fashion.htm (overview of fashion during the Belle Epoque

A couple of other issues which, I admit, will be a bit tricky to overcome are (1) that any hairstyles made with LAMH would need to be able to fit/be fit by hats - fortunately there are several good models of picture hats which are adaptable, and (2) for evening-dress renders, the hairstyles would need to be adorned by feathers, plumes and other such decorations (see the second link).

Posted: 16 May 2013 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-25

you’d need the props and such for that… and textures and so forth. And a modeller I am not. :(

Posted: 16 May 2013 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05
belovedalia - 16 May 2013 01:37 PM

you’d need the props and such for that… and textures and so forth. And a modeller I am not. :(

Neither am I, really. I wish there were something like these two programs for clothes. I have difficulty even manipulating basic shapes in Hexagon, let alone the kind of detail work that’s necessary for clothing and props.

Posted: 16 May 2013 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05

What are the system requirements for LAMH? The product page doesn’t say.

Posted: 16 May 2013 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1792
Joined  2008-05-31
joea64 - 16 May 2013 01:08 PM

*grumble* I wish I could make up my mind. What I really wish I could have is a couple of quick renders (with LAMH and Garibaldi) of the kind of hairstyle I want to create (i.e., late-Victorian/Edwardian “Gibson Girl” pompadour/hair roll) so that I could really get an idea of which would be better for what I want to do. :\

P.S. How long are the sales going to go on for? I don’t want to miss out because I was dithering for too long.

You could buy and try out both, then keep the one you think is best and return the other.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 16 May 2013 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05
Taozen - 16 May 2013 03:03 PM

You could buy and try out both, then keep the one you think is best and return the other.

I might end up doing that, in fact.

Posted: 16 May 2013 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1870
Joined  2006-02-17
joea64 - 16 May 2013 03:35 PM

We test LAMH on a single core Windows XP machine with 1.5G of RAM.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 16 May 2013 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05
Kendall Sears - 16 May 2013 03:38 PM
joea64 - 16 May 2013 03:35 PM

We test LAMH on a single core Windows XP machine with 1.5G of RAM.

Kendall

That sounds all right - I have a Win 7 Home Premium SP 1 box with 8 GB RAM and an AMD FX-4100 CPU.

Posted: 16 May 2013 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05

I decided to go with Taozen’s suggestion, so I bought both LAMH and Garibaldi - on a trial basis, mind you! Whichever one I like better before the 30-day period runs out, I’ll keep; the other goes back for a refund. So I’m going to put them both to the acid test and see how well they do on a Gibson-girl hairstyle.

2 of 9