I’m impressed with all the amazing stuff people have been doing with these shaders. The sharing of info & settings has been very helpful. Thanks!
I finally got around to experimenting with these & produced a render I’m happy with. I used plastic for the body, gummy for the wings, & the toon eyes. I also found the toolbox useful for quick tweaks and visualizing. It took a lot of trial & error, tweaking the scale, rate, ID groups, diffuse/subsurface/ambient strength/color, contribution & lighting to get a result I was happy with. If anyone wants to know specific settings I will look them up but I don’t really feel like an expert with these shaders just yet.
For lighting I used DTs Skies of Economy for a base: UE2 (ambient), Distant Light (key) & skydome (for reflections). I modified the intensity, color & the image maps (hue / saturation) to get the purple tint. I added a distant spec only light at a low intensity from the camera angle just to bring out the shape a little more. I also did a little post work for minor adjustments and worked with a depth map using the Atmospheric Effects Cameras.
A full list of the content used is provided on dA: http://swawa3d.deviantart.com/art/Beata-Aves-Midnight-Flight-3679-378255028
I had a few questions that came up as I went through this forum & experimented:
1. Generally which figure surfaces should have the same ID. Looking at the Toon shaders it looks like everything but the inner mouth parts have the same ID and the eyes don’t use the subsurface shader? I’m wondering if the nails should use a separate ID, maybe if they have nail polish?
2. Surfaces with the same ID must have the same rate, scale & IOR. Does IOR include “Reflection IOR” or can that vary?
3. One thing I still struggle with is that the plastic & gummy shaders often cause fingers and toes to be dark. I know I can fix that by lowering the scale but then a lot of the effect seems to decrease. I guess messing with the other settings like diffuse, subsurface & ambient might help with this?
4. Has anyone tried using image maps for subsurface? I heard they might not be needed as much but I’m still curious of the results.
5. I know the subsurface color will depend on many variables but are there any general guidelines for what types of color to use when?
6. I’ve seen a lot of skin settings but I would love to see settings for teeth, inner mouth, eyes, etc.
Thanks a lot if anyone can help with any of these questions.
Click thumbnail to see full-size image