33 of 43
Subsurface Shaders… WOW!
Posted: 14 June 2013 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 481 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2003-10-09
HeraldOfFire - 14 June 2013 09:57 AM
Strixowl - 14 June 2013 09:29 AM

Geometry Shell. What is it and how do I do it ?

Think of a geometry shell as a coating over your 3D model. It shares the same surfaces but is offset slightly, so you can use it for many different effects. To add one, you can either use the Create -> New Geometry Shell option, or find the shortcut icon for it which looks like a filled-in cube. Geometry shells cannot be created without a parent, so select the object you want to create a shell for before adding the geometry shell.

Thanks for this great reply.  I too was wondering about this, but was too busy to ask.  Figured I’d ask when I actually had time to play around with it.  lol

Posted: 14 June 2013 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 482 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  119
Joined  2003-10-09
MAB - 14 June 2013 11:35 AM
HeraldOfFire - 14 June 2013 09:57 AM
Strixowl - 14 June 2013 09:29 AM

Geometry Shell. What is it and how do I do it ?

Think of a geometry shell as a coating over your 3D model. It shares the same surfaces but is offset slightly, so you can use it for many different effects. To add one, you can either use the Create -> New Geometry Shell option, or find the shortcut icon for it which looks like a filled-in cube. Geometry shells cannot be created without a parent, so select the object you want to create a shell for before adding the geometry shell.

Thanks for this great reply.  I too was wondering about this, but was too busy to ask.  Figured I’d ask when I actually had time to play around with it.  lol

Yes thank you great reply. Very clear analogy and concise how to. grin

Posted: 14 June 2013 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 483 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12491
Joined  2007-11-06
Richard Haseltine - 14 June 2013 07:58 AM
Kyoto Kid - 14 June 2013 12:31 AM

...been running into an odd “striping” issue along the neck and arms when applying the Toon or SSS toolbox skin shaders. 

It seems to occur only on some characters like Nata and my Leela Teen.

There was some discussion of this - I think the fix was lowering the Shading rate, or possibly adjusting the Sub surface scale.

...I’ll try that.  Seems to happen only with some third party skin shaders like the ones I use for Leela (JW’s Tindra Thompson maps).

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 14 June 2013 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 484 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  283
Joined  2007-04-05
Kyoto Kid - 14 June 2013 05:53 PM
Richard Haseltine - 14 June 2013 07:58 AM
Kyoto Kid - 14 June 2013 12:31 AM

...been running into an odd “striping” issue along the neck and arms when applying the Toon or SSS toolbox skin shaders. 

It seems to occur only on some characters like Nata and my Leela Teen.

There was some discussion of this - I think the fix was lowering the Shading rate, or possibly adjusting the Sub surface scale.

...I’ll try that.  Seems to happen only with some third party skin shaders like the ones I use for Leela (JW’s Tindra Thompson maps).

The best thing would be to adjust your Shading Rate or render larger.
Adjusting the SubSurface Scale will effect the initial SSS effect ( mainly noticeable around the ears )

Signature 

http://laticis.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 14 June 2013 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 485 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...on the one pic with Leela where this happened I was already at 900 x 1200 for the scene.  Restored the original shaders so I could complete the pic and will experiment with single figures for the time being.

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2013 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 486 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  283
Joined  2007-04-05
Kyoto Kid - 14 June 2013 06:17 PM

...on the one pic with Leela where this happened I was already at 900 x 1200 for the scene.  Restored the original shaders so I could complete the pic and will experiment with single figures for the time being.

Lowering the SSS Shading Rate will fix that and is probably the best step to make.
If you had render at 1800 x 2400 you would find that should also fix that.
Both choices lead to an increase in render times.

Signature 

http://laticis.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 14 June 2013 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 487 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
Laticis - 14 June 2013 06:32 PM
Kyoto Kid - 14 June 2013 06:17 PM

Lowering the SSS Shading Rate will fix that and is probably the best step to make.
If you had render at 1800 x 2400 you would find that should also fix that.
Both choices lead to an increase in render times.

...I’ll try the SSS shading rate first as I don’t like to render in such huge sizes since I tend to use older props and sets (commercial and freebie) that don’t always include large texture maps.

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2013 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 488 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2012-07-26

I’m impressed with all the amazing stuff people have been doing with these shaders.  The sharing of info & settings has been very helpful. Thanks!

I finally got around to experimenting with these & produced a render I’m happy with.  I used plastic for the body, gummy for the wings, & the toon eyes.  I also found the toolbox useful for quick tweaks and visualizing.  It took a lot of trial & error, tweaking the scale, rate, ID groups, diffuse/subsurface/ambient strength/color, contribution & lighting to get a result I was happy with.  If anyone wants to know specific settings I will look them up but I don’t really feel like an expert with these shaders just yet.

For lighting I used DTs Skies of Economy for a base: UE2 (ambient), Distant Light (key) & skydome (for reflections).  I modified the intensity, color & the image maps (hue / saturation) to get the purple tint.  I added a distant spec only light at a low intensity from the camera angle just to bring out the shape a little more.  I also did a little post work for minor adjustments and worked with a depth map using the Atmospheric Effects Cameras. 

A full list of the content used is provided on dA: http://swawa3d.deviantart.com/art/Beata-Aves-Midnight-Flight-3679-378255028

I had a few questions that came up as I went through this forum & experimented:

1. Generally which figure surfaces should have the same ID.  Looking at the Toon shaders it looks like everything but the inner mouth parts have the same ID and the eyes don’t use the subsurface shader? I’m wondering if the nails should use a separate ID, maybe if they have nail polish?

2. Surfaces with the same ID must have the same rate, scale & IOR.  Does IOR include “Reflection IOR” or can that vary?

3. One thing I still struggle with is that the plastic & gummy shaders often cause fingers and toes to be dark.  I know I can fix that by lowering the scale but then a lot of the effect seems to decrease.  I guess messing with the other settings like diffuse, subsurface & ambient might help with this?

4. Has anyone tried using image maps for subsurface? I heard they might not be needed as much but I’m still curious of the results.

5. I know the subsurface color will depend on many variables but are there any general guidelines for what types of color to use when?

6. I’ve seen a lot of skin settings but I would love to see settings for teeth, inner mouth, eyes, etc.

Thanks a lot if anyone can help with any of these questions.

Image Attachments
beata-aves-midnight-flight-3679-by-swawa3d.jpg
 Signature 

Swawa3D.com | email | twitter | YouTube animations
Galleries:  deviantART | facebook | Google+ | DAZ Gallery

Posted: 15 June 2013 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 489 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4991
Joined  2005-08-03

^ I love that! Nice touch matching the bot details to the color on the buildings.

Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis (DS)
Free Script: Bulk convert V4/M4 mats for Genesis2 (DS/Poser)

Posted: 16 June 2013 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 490 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-26
Vaskania - 15 June 2013 11:21 PM

^ I love that! Nice touch matching the bot details to the color on the buildings.

Thanks!

Signature 

Posted: 16 June 2013 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 491 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2696
Joined  2012-02-04

Swawa3D, the is exceptionally creative! Very nice use of the shaders, too.

Signature 

New member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 16 June 2013 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 492 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-26
barbult - 16 June 2013 12:41 AM

Swawa3D, the is exceptionally creative! Very nice use of the shaders, too.

Thanks.  It started out as just an experiment to learn the shaders but I really liked how it was turning out so I worked it into a full render.  I love the versatility of genesis, it really helps with experimentation.

Signature 

Posted: 18 June 2013 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 493 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1677
Joined  2006-09-09

DIM is showing the base shader as updated - anyone know what the update was?

Posted: 18 June 2013 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 494 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2696
Joined  2012-02-04
jakiblue - 18 June 2013 03:54 AM

DIM is showing the base shader as updated - anyone know what the update was?

The read me was not updated, but from looking at the downloaded files, it looks like files were moved from Shaders to Shader Presets.

Signature 

New member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 18 June 2013 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 495 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3519
Joined  2009-08-05

Yes. The update just moved the location from Shaders to Shader Presets I think.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

33 of 43