Digital Art Zone

21 of 42
Subsurface Shaders… WOW!
Posted: 26 May 2013 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 301 ]
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2003-10-09
HeraldOfFire - 25 May 2013 03:15 PM

My pet peeve is bump maps which are just desaturated diffuse textures. It’s especially odd when the texture in question has freckles and every little freckle now appears as an indentation in the face, as if someone had fired rock salt at their head. This is actually the case with a recent purchase I got from Rendo…

Still, I’m diverting the conversation away from its intended purpose which is to showcase the awesome shaders. I’ll post some more works once I’ve figured out where I’m going wrong.

If you know a better way to make bump and spec ( and normal maps ) I think you could profit from it by selling a tutorial to the rest of us.

I am constantly trying to find ‘the right way’ to make a bump map for my creations, and usually it requires starting with the texture as a base and doing a bunch of filters / layer modes / painting to get it “acceptable” - i use that term loosely because I’m never 100% satisfied.

Posted: 26 May 2013 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 302 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2704
Joined  2009-02-24
Vexiphne - 26 May 2013 03:19 PM
HeraldOfFire - 25 May 2013 03:15 PM

My pet peeve is bump maps which are just desaturated diffuse textures. It’s especially odd when the texture in question has freckles and every little freckle now appears as an indentation in the face, as if someone had fired rock salt at their head. This is actually the case with a recent purchase I got from Rendo…

Still, I’m diverting the conversation away from its intended purpose which is to showcase the awesome shaders. I’ll post some more works once I’ve figured out where I’m going wrong.

If you know a better way to make bump and spec ( and normal maps ) I think you could profit from it by selling a tutorial to the rest of us.

I am constantly trying to find ‘the right way’ to make a bump map for my creations, and usually it requires starting with the texture as a base and doing a bunch of filters / layer modes / painting to get it “acceptable” - i use that term loosely because I’m never 100% satisfied.

I think it will always be a mystery to me how some artists can seem to make pixel-perfect bump maps. Goodness knows I lack the artistic knowledge to pull it off believably, so I can only imagine how others might tackle it. In lieu of a good bump map for many of my figures, I’ve simply taken them from other similar figures. Pure desaturation simply doesn’t work though, since darker areas of the skin, and indeed dark skin such as African, becomes indented. For distance shots bump maps aren’t too noticeable, but in the close ups they can make a big difference. The better the map, the better the results.

Anyway, I feel I’ve hijacked this thread enough so this will be my last word on the matter here. I’m sure there are plenty more cool renders these shaders are helping to create, so let’s see those arts! Speaking of which, does anyone know any good surface settings for younger looking skin? I’ve mostly been trying to copy verbatim what AoA used for the older man, with reasonable results it has to be said, but it’s still a ways off.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 26 May 2013 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 303 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1519
Joined  2009-08-08

I’ll do another render and post the result unpostworked. Right now they are all in red. I’ll have to go hunting through the manual about where to assign a different ID to each .obj.

These aren’t UV mapped models, just raw .obj, imported, and the shader applied.

Posted: 26 May 2013 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 304 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  714
Joined  2005-11-21

Each object should have a default surface in the shader tab

Signature 

I am the hope of the omniverse, I am the light bulb in the darkness,
I am the bacon in the fridge for all living things that cry out in hunger,
I am the alpha and the amega, I am the terror that flaps in the night!

-Goku (Team 4 Star)

Posted: 26 May 2013 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 305 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2006-01-26

100% SSS real people exists!!! tongue rolleye

Image Attachments
tumblr_ml8fvkp0XY1qju716o3_500.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1312/
http://zilvergrafix.deviantart.com/

Posted: 26 May 2013 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 306 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-08
Fisty - 26 May 2013 06:34 PM

Each object should have a default surface in the shader tab

Er, well, they are all a flat grey. I haven’t assigned any matt zones.

Okay one where they are all red is the render I worked from before. The three on the left with the black cores are the ones where I didn’t change the ambient color. The other four I changed the ambient to a darker version of the shader color.

There are some other adjustments as well. The ambient SSS Contribution is at 250%, the Ambient strength is at 100% and the diffuse strenght is at 30%.

The rest was postwork.

The other one, where each is a different color I left the one red one alone and just applied the shader in different colors to the others. No adjustments.

Same lighting. One UE light and one distant light.

Image Attachments
BG1.jpgBG2.jpg

Posted: 26 May 2013 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 307 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1398
Joined  2009-09-11

Basic SSS applied to character which was rendered & Ps’ed with the water pics still really like the results!

Warning nudity http://fav.me/d66ijud  http://fav.me/d66ijtx

Signature 

http://bobvan.deviantart.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37909888@N05/sets/

Posted: 26 May 2013 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 308 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2005-08-26
Kaputcha - 16 May 2013 03:58 PM

Awesome shaders, having fun with the gummies!

I love the floor in that render. It’s somewhat unrelated, but how do ppl create reflective floors like that to put their figures on? I’ve been trying to do one myself but mine always come out looking like mirrors… With no texture visible, OR the texture is there but no reflections. lol.

Signature 

My Renders: My DeviantArt Gallery
Revenger is always looking to meet 3d artists of all levels. FB me if you want to share, or just hangout in the background: http://www.facebook.com/revenger681

Posted: 27 May 2013 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 309 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  750
Joined  2006-06-12

tried out the toon skin shaders on good old apollo maximus

Image Attachments
subsurfacesinestro.jpg
 Signature 

My Daz Store
ShareCG Freebies

Posted: 27 May 2013 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 310 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2007-04-05
Vexiphne - 26 May 2013 02:46 PM

What settings are you using for the eyes? The refs are gorgeous… can’t tell if its RT or mapped…

Hi Vexiphne smile

The reflections are maps:

Cornea - Raiya’s Eye Ref / Iris - Bree / Lacrimal - Raiya’s Erin / Pupil - Bree / Sclera - Bree

Signature 

http://laticis.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 27 May 2013 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 311 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2008-10-07

edited

Posted: 27 May 2013 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 312 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  426
Joined  2007-05-27

Hi JOdel,

Is that figure available someplace for download or sale? I’m wondering so maybe I can pick it up and see if I can give some tips on how you an get that effect without postwork or adding ambient.

100% SSS real people exists!!!

Great find zilvergrafix! I actually spent all afternoon yesterday looking for a stock image on deviantArt showing someone with super scatter skin in the hopes of maybe trying to recreate the photograph.

revenger681 - 26 May 2013 10:39 PM
Kaputcha - 16 May 2013 03:58 PM

Awesome shaders, having fun with the gummies!

I love the floor in that render. It’s somewhat unrelated, but how do ppl create reflective floors like that to put their figures on? I’ve been trying to do one myself but mine always come out looking like mirrors… With no texture visible, OR the texture is there but no reflections. lol.

Using the DS Default shader, set up your plane with the texture and bump as you want it then turn reflection color to white, reflection strength to 100% then set the index of refraction to something like 1.4. That will give reflections which are stronger with steeper angles. If the reflection is not strong enough then increase the index of refraction. Conversely, lower the IOR for weaker reflection but stay above 1.0.

Great work everyone. I’m so pleased to see everyone putting the shader to use.

Signature 

My DAZ Products
My 3d freebies
My YouTube Page

Posted: 27 May 2013 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 313 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-08

No. It’s a figure that I built in my 3D modeling class following Adam Watkins’s ‘Getting Started in 3D with Maya’ textbook. I’ve sent a PM if you want to deal with it. It isn’t like I’m likely to use it for anything much.

Posted: 27 May 2013 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 314 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  628
Joined  2012-09-24

I have been trying the Tori (http://www.daz3d.com/tori-for-v5) skin in various SSS shaders.

First a little rant. different shaders do seem to put out different amounts of light with similar settings. I have seen some discussion that you need to adjust your lights for the shader. I think that is completely wrong. You are going to be rendering the character skin along with hair, clothes, jewelry, other characters, props and sets. Your character skin needs to render correctly in a scene where everything else renders correctly. I think you need a standard set of lights, perhaps several, and you adjust the character well in those standard lighting conditions.

My standard lights are a 3 point UberArea Light planes. The key like is at 100%. The fill and back light are at 50%. There is a specular only spot light at 30% in the key light.  I don’t use the UberEnviroment2 light at all.

Edit: seems to have reversed the order i attached the images, but they are labeled.

Tori comes with DAZ material that use the default shader. The material has an ambient color of 198,165,154 with a strength of 20%. This is glow in the dark material. The pinkish skin color you see in the promo renders comes from this ambient setting. With my standard light the Tori skin in blown out (over exposed in places). The first image below shows the default skin render with my standard lights turned down to 80%. Frankly it looks like she has a sunburn or something. I am not trying to match this result.

The second image is a WIP using the UberSurface 2 shader. The following settings were used:

Diffuse Color: 250,255,255 (Lips: 255,245,245)
Diffuse Strength: 80%
Fresnel: Off
Specular Color: 222,255,247
Specular Strength: 20% with strength texture (100% on lips)
Glossiness: 35% (90% on lips)
Specular Sharpness: 0%
Ambient: Off
Reflection: Off
Velvet: Off
Subsurface Color: 255,255,255
Subsurface Strength: 20%
Subsurface Refraction: 1.4
Subsurface Scale: 0.1
Backscatter Boost: 2.00
Subsurface Group: 1
Subsurface Shading Rate: 1.00
Subsurface Scatter Color: 100,60,0
Subsurface Scatter Strength: 1.79
Subsurface Absorption Color: 232,180,0
Subsurface Absorption Strength: 0.14
Translucency: Off
Specular2 Color: 222,255,247
Specular2 Strength: 8% (20% on lips)
Specular2 Roughness: 20% (10% on lips)
Specular2 Sharpness: 0%

The thrid image is with the Age of Armour Subsurface Shader base with the following settings:

Ambient: Off
Diffuse Color: 245,255,252 (Lips 255,245,245)
Pre SSS - Post SSS 1.0
Diffuse Strength: 70%
Reflection: Off
Specular Color: 255,255,255
Glossiness: 35% (90% on lips)
Specular Strength: 20% with strength texture (50% on lips)
Specular2 Color: 255,255,255
Spec2 Glossiness: 35% (90% on lips)
Specular2 Strength: 8% (10% on lips)
Index of Refraction: 1.4
Shading Rate: 16 (default)
Shading Scale: 0.1 (default)
Subsurface Color: 255,255,255
Subsurface Off-On: 1.0
Subsurface Strength: 20%
Absorb Blue: 0.10
Absorb Green: 0.05
Absorb Red: 0.009
Scatter Blue: 1.79
Scatter Green: 1.40
Scatter Red: 1.00
Velvet: Off

The AoA shader seems to produce more light. I need to turn the diffusion strength down to 70% and it may still be a little to bright.

Both the USS2 and AoA results are WIP.

Would be interested in any feedback on how to improve the results.

Image Attachments
post_aoa.jpgpost_uss2.jpgpost_80.jpg
 Signature 

DAZ Gallery

Renderosity Gallery

Deviant Art Gallery

My Art Studio Thread

Posted: 28 May 2013 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 315 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2010-09-19

Thought I’d mix some Aiko shapes and give them a blast with the V5 Nichole skin and the base Subsurface Shader.  The eyes are a preset from Project EYEris…

Image Attachments
Aikoolala.jpg
 Signature 

My deviantART page
My ShareCG freebies
Some of my music

21 of 42