Digital Art Zone

3 of 43
Subsurface Shaders… WOW!
Posted: 16 May 2013 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8046
Joined  2012-09-10

Hellboy is a pro at so many things, it makes my jaw drop every time I visit his links. smile
And HeraldOfFire, absolutely ADORE your Candy Girl and the surfaces. Congrats!

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #5   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 16 May 2013 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  314
Joined  2007-12-18

I’m glad this has finally been released, I’ve been having fun playing with it and I’ve been eager to see other people putting it to use!  AoA really did a good job of making this shader fully featured, there’s plenty here to play with.

Posted: 16 May 2013 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  639
Joined  2006-10-01

Thank you!

I am impressed. Only thing I have to find out is why I’m getting a heavy noisy pattern over the figures. It must be the render settings maybe, but I have to try more.

Signature 

Simplified guide to Genesis content creation.

My gallery.

Posted: 16 May 2013 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  243
Joined  2003-10-09
Hellboy - 16 May 2013 05:39 PM

Thank you!

I am impressed. Only thing I have to find out is why I’m getting a heavy noisy pattern over the figures. It must be the render settings maybe, but I have to try more.

I too had this first, I thought I found out it has something to do with the shading rate of the SSS, set it lower, to 1 or less and you get rid of it, but I’m not sure about this. There’s unfortunately no explanation of this in the PDF, maybe AoA knows exactly what to do.

Posted: 17 May 2013 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1125
Joined  2010-09-19

O yeah, can’t wait to see what some of you experts come up with… in the meantime, here’s another one I tried - been having fun just seeing what it might do to some textures I already have.

Here’s the Benjamin M5 texture with ss toon applied and tweaked a little - it can the buffed sheen ‘pampered’ boxers often have that get massages and ointment treatments all the time.

Image Attachments
M5_Benjamin_Tooned.jpg
 Signature 

My deviantART page
My ShareCG freebies
Some of my music

Posted: 17 May 2013 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3103
Joined  2009-02-24

A minor miscalculation on my part meant that my earlier candy girl image was using the same subsurface group for all of the gummies. This is what caused the heavy colour bleeding. It’s a great effect, and will be very useful for certain styles, but I rendered the image again this morning with unique groups and the results are in…

Image Attachments
Candy_Girl_Redux.png
 Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 17 May 2013 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2320
Joined  2005-09-05

Instant buy…went straight into the cart. I haven’t had chance to download them yet but can’t wait to play!

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 17 May 2013 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6536
Joined  2003-10-09

Here’s something I tweaked with the SS Base. Surface white, Subsurface green, used the Marble setting, trying to simulate jade on the Buddha. I like how it turned out. Having a ball with this new shader.

Image Attachments
Buddah.jpg
 Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
We’ve all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Posted: 17 May 2013 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1125
Joined  2010-09-19

Getting a bit better, and I also love the shiny plastic on fibermesh hair…
(ss toon skin with Marisol V4 texture, plastic & gummy bikini, and plastic fibermesh hair)

Image Attachments
Plastic_Hair.jpg
 Signature 

My deviantART page
My ShareCG freebies
Some of my music

Posted: 17 May 2013 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2003-10-09

I was very excited to see these shaders, and that they were from Age of Armour (I use the cameras all the time).  The depth of the shader and the documentation are excellent.  Initial tests are very promising (sorry, nothing to show).

I do have one disappointment: specular.  Please, please, please, reconsider redoing the specular and allowing the user to choose what specular model is employed in EITHER channel.  Human skin requires two specular layers, and I’m sorry but a second layer phong is not going to cut it.

Please don’t take offense, and don’t assume this is just another forum troll griping.

I adore your work, and the simple fact that someone else has braved the waters of custom shaders: I applaud you! Far better than I could have ever done!

Food for thought, that’s all.

I’ll be grabbing the add-ons, probably today.  Hope to have some time real soon to really see what the shader can do.

Posted: 17 May 2013 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-01-04
evilded777 - 17 May 2013 06:02 AM

I do have one disappointment: specular.  Please, please, please, reconsider redoing the specular and allowing the user to choose what specular model is employed in EITHER channel.  Human skin requires two specular layers, and I’m sorry but a second layer phong is not going to cut it.

Limitation of the Shader Mixer, all of the “buttons” at the bottom of a brick are internal SM code only and never appear in the Surfaces tab, so the only way to change them is in the Shader Mixer.

Signature 

**shuffles of with a new headache** tongue wink

Posted: 17 May 2013 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
Bejaymac - 17 May 2013 07:30 AM

Limitation of the Shader Mixer, all of the “buttons” at the bottom of a brick are internal SM code only and never appear in the Surfaces tab, so the only way to change them is in the Shader Mixer.

Um, pwSurface allows us to choose a specular model.

Posted: 17 May 2013 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Hot damn.

I’d still like that specular flexibility, but… testing is beyond good.

D5, Morris’s Gunner shape and maps.  Only the broadest strokes of tuning the skin, no eyes or anything.  Simplest lights: 1 distant, 1 UE

Color me impressed and quite pleased.

Image Attachments
d5AoAshader.jpg

Posted: 17 May 2013 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15775
Joined  2003-10-09
evilded777 - 17 May 2013 07:50 AM
Bejaymac - 17 May 2013 07:30 AM

Um, pwSurface allows us to choose a specular model.

pwSurface isn’t a Shader Mixer shader, it’s written in RSL and compiled. That’s why it can have real On/Off switches instead of a 0 to 1 slider too.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 17 May 2013 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12572
Joined  2007-11-06

...and don’t you need pwSurface2 to work with it in ver. 3.x and above?  I only have the original version.

Looks like it’s time to learn how to use the shader mixer (though I have a tutorial file floating around somewhere for it).

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

3 of 43