Digital Art Zone

1 of 42
Subsurface Shaders… WOW!
Posted: 16 May 2013 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1080
Joined  2010-09-19

Age Of Armour does it again - just when I thought I’d bought enough this week, along comes these new Subsurface shader packs… oh well, back on the beans, but oh so worth it!

This might actually divert me from my usual approach for a while, these are crying out to get used a lot.  Obviously, anything subsurface will increase render times, so don’t automatically max everything out until you can see what you need and/or what your machine can handle.

For the attached image, I used gummy on the hair, plastic on the swimsuit, and toon on Genesis (started with default grey Genesis, this is not using other textures)... it looks this good just using the presets, but with a bit of tweaking, this could give some seriously cool results.

I’m pretty gobsmacked, this opens up a completely new look to DAZ Studio renders… wow Wow WOW (OK, I’ll sit in a darkened room until I settle down!)

Image Attachments
SSS_Toon_Test.jpg
 Signature 

My deviantART page
My ShareCG freebies
Some of my music

Posted: 16 May 2013 04:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6586
Joined  2012-09-10

I can see why you’re so excited- looks like you had some real fun!

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #4   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 16 May 2013 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7610
Joined  2009-05-14

and it has a great pdf explaining the channels in more detail than Uber Surface has.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 16 May 2013 04:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1656
Joined  2013-04-23

Now I badly want my money to arrive earlier than usual… as I’m sure I would like to buy some shaders.

Have to ask though, is it jsut hte single base, and nothing else that comes with the upgrade for 4.6? Or does it come with any colors or any other kind of preset? Haven’t been able to check myself yet as my DIM is still installing the Genesis Starter Essentials, so I have to wait to go into Daz and look smile

When I did take a fast look in Daz before starting the DIM I only saw a single base, but I guess that IF (which I don’t expect, but still partly hope for) there is any presets/material colors or such it will come with Dim. Hence why I’m asking, my curiosity is killing me smile

Signature 

My Art Thread  **  My Gallery  **  My Deviant Art  (includes mature content)

Playful Ferret, Proud Wizard Companion of BWC

Posted: 16 May 2013 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13598
Joined  2003-10-09

The update is still downloading for me, but the product page mentions only the one .duf file so I doubt there are any additional presets. No doubt people will soon be sharing their custom settings, at least for things that aren’t covered in the expansion sets.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 16 May 2013 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  803
Joined  2007-01-08

No nothing extra included. There are actually a dsf and a couple of other things that I wasn’t expecting. It’s a sprawling Shader Mixer network (I saw a brick number 98 o_O), pretty interesting, and it explains why I never got anything really translucent out of the SSS brick.

Posted: 16 May 2013 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1656
Joined  2013-04-23

Thought it would be like that, was worth to ask atleast *smiles* I think I need to go rob a bank soon *laughs* too much that I want to buy, and all at the same time smile Thanks for the answers guys *hugs*

Signature 

My Art Thread  **  My Gallery  **  My Deviant Art  (includes mature content)

Playful Ferret, Proud Wizard Companion of BWC

Posted: 16 May 2013 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1574
Joined  2008-02-14

wow only begins to describe it.  look at the gummy and plastic.  Can’t wait to try them out.  Excellent job AoA

Image Attachments
gummypromo3.jpg
 Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 16 May 2013 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3106
Joined  2007-06-22

Could someone please post information or images of the ‘12 Expression and Shaping Morphs’ that come with the Toon Shader presets,
thank you

Posted: 16 May 2013 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-19

Oh, I haven’t even looked for that yet Scorpio - I’ve been too busy playing around (I’m supposed to be working on something, but having too much fun with these!), although these ones are simply using default settings…

Image Attachments
Cute_Drossel.jpgToon_Behemoth.jpg
 Signature 

My deviantART page
My ShareCG freebies
Some of my music

Posted: 16 May 2013 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-19
scorpio64dragon - 16 May 2013 07:52 AM

Could someone please post information or images of the ‘12 Expression and Shaping Morphs’ that come with the Toon Shader presets,
thank you

Aha, the poses relate to the toon eyebrows that come with the shaders

Image Attachments
Capture.JPG
 Signature 

My deviantART page
My ShareCG freebies
Some of my music

Posted: 16 May 2013 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  384
Joined  2011-05-27

I nabbed all three of the new shaders.  Can’t wait to see what they do.

Not to derail this thread but does anyone know what hair is in this shader?  I think it’s Jazlyn’s hair but I am not sure.

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/subsurface-toon-shaders

Signature 

DAZ Studio 4 Pro user, Poser Pro 2012 user, Bryce 7 Pro user, Vue 8 Complete user, Photoshop CS4 user.

Posted: 16 May 2013 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-19

Yeah mate, looks like Jazlyn Hair to me too

Signature 

My deviantART page
My ShareCG freebies
Some of my music

Posted: 16 May 2013 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  270
Joined  2012-06-11

I look forward to playing with these new shaders! After I back up all of my DAZ files. And install the new version. And perform a ritual sacrifice in order to insure that everything I cared about in the old version still works in the new.

Posted: 16 May 2013 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  384
Joined  2011-05-27
Jabba101 - 16 May 2013 09:36 AM

Yeah mate, looks like Jazlyn Hair to me too

Thanks!

Signature 

DAZ Studio 4 Pro user, Poser Pro 2012 user, Bryce 7 Pro user, Vue 8 Complete user, Photoshop CS4 user.

Posted: 16 May 2013 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  428
Joined  2007-05-27

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I really hope you enjoy the shader and presets.

I wasn’t expecting these to be released today or I would have replied earlier. Last I heard from DAZ was “Soon” so I was expecting some time next year haha. I joke… DAZ has really improved about getting things done.

Thanks for starting the thread and sharing your renders Jabba101. I love those bot renders!

Muon Quark - 16 May 2013 09:11 AM

I nabbed all three of the new shaders.  Can’t wait to see what they do.

Not to derail this thread but does anyone know what hair is in this shader?  I think it’s Jazlyn’s hair but I am not sure.

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/subsurface-toon-shaders

Yep, that it Jazlyn’s hair. The various hair figures from 3d Universe’s latest releases really work well with the SSS because many of them have volume. You can use the shader on things without volume but you might need to use the flip normals switch.

[quote author=“scorpio64dragon”]Could someone please post information or images of the ‘12 Expression and Shaping Morphs’ that come with the Toon Shader presets,
thank you

Those are the eyebrow expression presets and some eye and eyelash morphs. Nothing too exciting really. I hope the product page didn’t come off as making too much out of the morphs.

My sincerest thanks to everyone for your support,

William

Signature 

My DAZ Products
My 3d freebies
My YouTube Page

1 of 42