Digital Art Zone

3 of 5
Tlaloc For M4 (Update : DS-Specific MATS Now Available)
Posted: 21 May 2013 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  0

Is he based on the Aztec Rain God?

Posted: 21 May 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  157
Joined  0

Actually, no, he’s not. The name is, however, a Nahautl name that means “of the Earth,” and it was one of the names that the Aztec Rain god was called, yes. In this case it is actually his surname.

He is a roleplaying character of mine, and his name is actually Nathan Falling Eagle Tlaloc. I chose the name for him because of it’s meaning. Story-wise he is a mixed-blood Hitchiti native. The Hitchiti indians are generally believed to have Mayan and possibly Aztec Ancestors in the far distant past, and if one looks at older examples of their art, there are many style similarities.  The same can be said of their older forms of housing and other traditional architecture as well. (I am actually working on a model of an older pre-1800’s hut as well, and will probably do one of the mounds to go with it.

They are part of the Creek nation in Florida and Georgia, and fall under the Muscogee group of indians. His name was chosen because as a character, he is very outdoorsy and Earth-centered.

Does that help explain it?

Signature 

“It is small and broken, but still good. Still good.”
—Lilo & Stitch—

My Content Paradise Store
My Freebies

Posted: 21 May 2013 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  206
Joined  2006-09-05

I’d be willing to test for you, but don’t know how good I am at testing the Material Files.

Posted: 22 May 2013 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Joined  0
frodi - 21 May 2013 11:16 PM

I’d be willing to test for you, but don’t know how good I am at testing the Material Files.

Sure. I’d appreciate it. I wouldn’t ask you to make the Studio mats - it’s nothing like that. I just would need you to load up an M4 and try applying all of the files. And then do a render or two (does NOT have to be anything complicated, even just the figure on an empty scene), and check the way he looks. What I’m looking for is things like.. too high of a bump (does the skin look like dried and cracked leather?), things like that, inside of Studio.

Poser’s version of bump and displacement needs lower values on the dial than Studio does. (I have learned this after using characters who were initially made with Studio settings - Unicornst’s “Nicholas” for one, I have to dial the bump value down a bit or the skin renders up looking like sandpaper.)

IF I am able to make Studio-specific MATs, then I would just need you to apply all the files and make sure everything applies correctly, and then check how he looks on render.

If I am NOT able to figure out how to make Studio-specific MATs, then what I would need in a Studio tester is someone to load him up, apply the texture settings, and render him, and then let me know if his skin looks like it has too much bump or too little, or if anything fails to apply to him inside of Studio.

I will be doing my own QA check of him on my system, but.. I am not very Studio-fluent yet (lol), and it never hurts to have one or two folks check something over before I throw him up for general release.

When I have him zipped up enough for the quick test (*sigh* Still fighting with the hand seam issue), I’ll send you a private-message with a download link in it.

Thanks!

Signature 

—Lilo & Stitch—

My Freebies

Posted: 22 May 2013 01:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  206
Joined  2006-09-05

Yes, I can do that. I have done some testing before and I’m happy to do this one for you Seliah.

Posted: 22 May 2013 02:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  0

Thanks Seliah for giving the back ground on the character. I find him very intriguing. I am always excited to Aztec inspired characters.

Posted: 22 May 2013 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Joined  0

Frodi - thank you very much! I will let you know via PM when I have him ready to test.
‘Chelle - same for you as well. I’ll get a download link to you through one of our ways. Probably the DevArt notes, though. LOL

Paris - I’m glad the explanation helped. The character is interesting to play and write for. He’s still fairly new to us, which is why this package happened in the first place. I was setting out to do his first image, and I just wasn’t happy with anything I was finding in the way of scars, as Nathan is quite scarred, and has a couple of rather distinct ones on his face especially. Lack of acceptable (for this character) male textures, combined with a severe lack of M4 freebie skins, and, well… as I started making his texture, I just decided to stick my head in here and see if anyone would be interested in him when he’s done.

And for the rest of ya’ll, here’s one more test render. No wounds. Just the scars… better lighting, and a little better camera angle as far as showing things, I think. Still fighting with the hand seams on the wounded texture. I really wanted at least a little something on his hands, but the seams are not cooperating. I really, REALLY hate the way the blasted texture templates were laid out for the Gen4’s.

Anyway - little test/preview here with the scars. The shirt is from the Cold Life set. The holster and pistol are from the M4 Bad Guy set. Jeans are from the Midnight Hunter set. Watch is from the WatchesForMen (Rendo). Headband and choker are from the M4 Cheyenne set. (I set the feathers/etc invisible on the headdress, leaving just the headband itself.) I think the wristband on his right wrist is from Vince Bagna… I think.

Image Attachments
Tlaloc07.png
 Signature 

—Lilo & Stitch—

My Freebies

Posted: 23 May 2013 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Rank
Joined  0

I just wanted to post an update. I finally have the seam issue fixed, and am making the morph INJ/REM files now. =) It shouldn’t be much longer.

Signature 

—Lilo & Stitch—

My Freebies

Posted: 24 May 2013 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  398
Joined  2011-04-18

A very nice character! I’ll grab him as soon as he’s released.

Posted: 28 May 2013 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Joined  0

I wanted to post an update here to explain why it’s taking so long.  I am running into difficulty with the morph files. They work on a first application, but applying an REM file,  then attempting to re-apply one of the INJ files fails to work. I do not know why yet. If I apply the Elite INJ, then the REM, it works. But attempting to apply the Morphs++ INJ will fail to apply correctly afterwards, as well as trying to re-apply the Elite INJ. Same thing happens in the reverse. It happens in both Studio and Poser.

I have no idea what’s causing this, and I’ve tried re-making the morph files as well. I get the same wonky behavior. At this point that is the only thing holding all of this up. Texture MATs are made, textures are finalized, thumbnails for those are made. It’s just the INJ/REM files misbehaving. I can’t release it until they are functional. I’ve never run into this sort of issue before, so I really am at a loss on this.

Once I can get the morphs sorted, I can pack him up and send him on his way.

Texture-wise, what I’m noticing in Studio is that D/S seems to have a much higher specular effect on the skin when rendered. I have not used any displacement or Poser procedural settings on him. But Studio definitely renders with more specularity on the skin.

Anyway - that’s where this is at. I’m just fighting with the INJ/REM files here…

Signature 

—Lilo & Stitch—

My Freebies

Posted: 28 May 2013 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2008-01-23

Good to hear you’re still working on it,  as for the morph issue, sorry I’m of no help there :(

Posted: 28 May 2013 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Joined  0

Well, I’m still trying to get it sorted. Maybe I should release it as separate packages, one for the Elite/H4 morphs, and one for the Morphs++, and list a disclaimer about the wonky behavior between the two. I dunno! I’m going to try a post in Nuts and Bolts first, and see if any of the techie wizards over there can help.

Signature 

—Lilo & Stitch—

My Freebies

Posted: 02 June 2013 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Joined  0

Alright. I’m giving up on the morphs issue. For the life of me I can’t figure this out. I do not normally do this as I am by nature something of a perfectionist when it comes to my work. But I am going to zip up what I have here with the disclaimer that if you apply one set of morphs and want to use the other set…be aware that you will need to delete the M4 and load a new one into your scene in order to do so. *sighs*

This really irritates me. I do NOT like releasing a product that does not work exactly as it should. But I have tried everything I can, including a post to nuts-n-bolts which also has garnered absolutely no solution. So in the interest of getting him out, I will zip him up as is. Just please be aware that if you need to switch between the Elite/H4 and the Morphs++ versions, you will need two M4’s to do it, or you will need to delete one M4 and load a new one in.

If I can ever get the INJ/REM file issue sorted out, I will certainly update his file and announce it. I do apologize for the wonky morph behavior. But I just cannot figure out what the heck the problem is, and no one else seems to be able to either.

I’ll be zipping him up today and tomorrow and getting him uploaded ASAP.

Signature 

—Lilo & Stitch—

My Freebies

Posted: 02 June 2013 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  398
Joined  2011-04-18

Most important for me is the skin. I don’t care much about morphs as I prefer to do my own.

Posted: 06 June 2013 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Rank
Joined  0

Update:
Almost done packing him up! If all goes well, he should be up tonight or tomorrow!

No DS specific mats yet, nor warpaint. Will release them as add-ons as I get them done.

DS Users Note:
You will need to adjust his specularity. I find that DS applies a maxed specularity value to his skin.

Signature 

—Lilo & Stitch—

My Freebies

3 of 5