Digital Art Zone

22 of 40
DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.0.18 General Release, Now Available!
Posted: 20 May 2013 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 316 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8425
Joined  2007-11-06
Mage 13X13 - 20 May 2013 09:50 AM

It took about an hour and a half just to download DS 4.6 for me. That is really slow, and I think unacceptable. The Genesis Starter Essentials is about three times the size of the app itself and I plan to use the DIM to get the update. My problem is that even with the DIM I am seeing slow download times for large files.

I am also due to update the DIM as well, but for some reason when I tried to update the first time, the website could not be accessed. Any thoughts concerning this?

I would like to know if I need to download all the other included products as well to update them? I have already downloaded the SSS Base, but the PhotoShop Bridge Plug-in, the Content Creator Toolkit, the Texture Atlas, and so on are showing in my DIM.

Something else I am concerned about is some news that came to me at another site I am a member of. Supposedly, there is a virus that has attached itself to the DS 4.6 download. What I would like to know is whether this is true, or is it a false positive returned to the user by their own protection software? Mine has not alerted me to any such thing as of yet, but I am holding off the installation of the new build until I get some good answers. If no answers are forthcoming, I will scan the downloaded file to see if it is OK or not. I do understand that for some apps you must tell your protection software to allow it to run and/or install.

DAZ 3D is seeing its highest traffic in years—they’ve done some optimization but they’re still a good bit over the rated capacity of their firewall, so download speeds are very slow.

I sometimes get the “unable to download” message on DIM updates—if I close and restart DIM it works.

SSS Base is the only new thing—the previous versions of the bridges, decimator, will still work, as will the old GSE.  CCT and Texture Atlas are built into DS 4.6, so you don’t need to download them.

The usual “reputation” based false positives—I haven’t heard of any AV’s tagging DS4.6 for legitimate reasons.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 20 May 2013 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 317 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2012-02-04

I still don’t understand why DAZ is getting hammered by downloads when their CDN provider should be absorbing it…

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 20 May 2013 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 318 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2278
Joined  2003-12-06
fixmypcmike - 20 May 2013 12:58 PM

SSS Base is the only new thing—the previous versions of the bridges, decimator, will still work, as will the old GSE.  CCT and Texture Atlas are built into DS 4.6, so you don’t need to download them.

As I’ve just discovered, there’s also a new version of the Dynamic Control to match 4.6 — I got weird behaviour out of the old version, before I got and installed the updates an hour ago.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 20 May 2013 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 319 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2003-10-09
mindphuk - 19 May 2013 05:21 PM

Maybe there should be a way to close all DAZ services before installing.

There is a way to stop the Content Management Service, and (if you are running Windows) you can find it in Windows Start button > All Programs > DAZ 3D > DAZ Content Management Service > Stop DAZ Content Management Service.

Posted: 20 May 2013 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 320 ]
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2010-08-06

I just got the Daz 4.6 64bit downloaded, and it will not install.  Not only that, but now my 4.5 will not open.  I’m attaching a picture of the error, and I have to admit, it is the strangest error I have ever seen on my PC.

System:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
RAM: 8G
Graphics: NVidea GeForce GTX 260

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
==========EDIT============================
leaving this here in case anyone else runs across this.
I had to uninstall 4.5 before I could install 4.6
I have no idea why.

Image Attachments
dazerror.jpg

Posted: 20 May 2013 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 321 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2011-08-08
loserinc - 20 May 2013 06:36 PM

I just got the Daz 4.6 64bit downloaded, and it will not install.  Not only that, but now my 4.5 will not open.  I’m attaching a picture of the error, and I have to admit, it is the strangest error I have ever seen on my PC.

System:

I have no idea why.

So have you finally been able to get it installed? I’m wondering about that weird error message. I cannot think what it might mean. One thing that caught my eye concerning the message is “Child Killed.”
???

Posted: 20 May 2013 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 322 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8425
Joined  2007-11-06
Mage 13X13 - 20 May 2013 10:46 PM

System:

I have no idea why.

So have you finally been able to get it installed? I’m wondering about that weird error message. I cannot think what it might mean. One thing that caught my eye concerning the message is “Child Killed.”
???

Normally that means either the 32-bit version of the VC++ libraries is missing (which doesn’t make sense here) or that a security program is blocking something—perhaps the antivirus program blocked the installer from uninstalling 4.5, so it had to be uninstalled manually?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 20 May 2013 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 323 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2011-08-08
fixmypcmike - 20 May 2013 10:51 PM

System:

I have no idea why.

???

Normally that means either the 32-bit version of the VC++ libraries is missing (which doesn’t make sense here) or that a security program is blocking something—perhaps the antivirus program blocked the installer from uninstalling 4.5, so it had to be uninstalled manually?

So why would it be worded in such a macabre way? Surely better wording can be used!

Posted: 21 May 2013 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 324 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2278
Joined  2003-12-06
Mage 13X13 - 20 May 2013 10:55 PM

So why would it be worded in such a macabre way? Surely better wording can be used!

It’s a case of clashing techspeak — some kinds of program subroutine are called a “child process”, and in some kinds of crash the program is referred to as “killed”.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 21 May 2013 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 325 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2003-10-09
alanbard - 19 May 2013 01:52 AM
refsocrd1 - 18 May 2013 11:15 PM
alanbard - 18 May 2013 05:21 PM

the install went smoothly….
But I am having an issue with the cursor disappearing…  only in Daz. slide it into another window and it is there.
I am using multiple monitors but that doesn’t seem to bother photo shop and others.

I’ve had that issue off and on since 4.0, usually minimizing and bringing it back up works for me, otherwise save(ctrl+S, or ctrl+shft+s) what i’m working on and close it out.
Hasn’t mattered what i’m doing or what system i’m on or O.S.

will try the minimizing trick, doing a render would bring it back occasionally.
Guess I’ve been lucky, it hasn’t happened up till now.
The one other thing that has changed is I started used Infinto for terrains… will have to watch for a one to one comparison on that. It was installed a while back, but just started using it.

I’m having the cursor disappear with DS4.6 too.  What a pain.  I’m on Mac OS 10.8.3.

Posted: 21 May 2013 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 326 ]
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2010-08-06

???

Yes, I got it installed finally.  I just had to uninstall 4.5 first.  I have no idea why the 4.6 installer wouldn’t just uninstall 4.5 then install itself.  I’ve never run into anything like that.  That message is definitely strange though lol, and I thought the internet was made of cats….

Posted: 21 May 2013 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 327 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2004-11-25

I get the child killed message also

Posted: 21 May 2013 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 328 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2003-10-09
loserinc - 21 May 2013 08:45 AM

That message is definitely strange though

One process running on your computer may need to start running additional processes. To be able to identify which is which, programmers refer to the first process as the “parent” and any additional processes the parent process starts are referred to as “child” processes, since they were created by the parent process. 
  “killing” a process means it’s operation was terminated or ended.  For example you say you went into the Windows Task Manager and killed a process that’s not responding and won’t exit by itself.

Posted: 21 May 2013 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 329 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  971
Joined  2007-10-17
Sean Riesch - 20 May 2013 04:00 PM
mindphuk - 19 May 2013 05:21 PM

Maybe there should be a way to close all DAZ services before installing.

There is a way to stop the Content Management Service, and (if you are running Windows) you can find it in Windows Start button > All Programs > DAZ 3D > DAZ Content Management Service > Stop DAZ Content Management Service.

The Installer does that for you. (Just make sure DAZ Studio has exited before starting the installers.

Posted: 21 May 2013 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 330 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2012-02-04

Well, the new database version for the CMS doesn’t seem any better.  Within a week of installing 4.6, I’ve already had the CMS process crash and Studio doing its usual goofy things that happen when the CMS is down (e.g., no auto Fit-To when loading clothing with a figure selected, etc.)

My install process was:

Uninstall GSE, Uninstall DS4.5, Uninstall CMS
Delete ProgramData\DAZ3D\C..M..S..\database\* (I don’t customize anything since I end up having to rebuild it at least once a month anyway)
Install DS4.6
Install GSE
Use re-import metadata to re-load the CMS database

I’m on Windows 7 64-bit, FWIW.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

22 of 40