Digital Art Zone

20 of 40
DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.0.18 General Release, Now Available!
Posted: 19 May 2013 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 286 ]
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-12-17

A lot better I must say! Loads faster, renders faster, respond faster, and no mem errors on this little machine I have. (Celeron)

Posted: 19 May 2013 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 287 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16
belovedalia - 19 May 2013 01:17 AM

... the weird ugly skin effect I’m getting when I use the new SSS base with skin setting, that’s a serious render-ruining issue!

HELP! :(

I got that also on a character I was working on the other day. I thought it was something I did, but hadn’t figured out what yet. I managed to fix it but it was through pushing, pulling, and twisting so many settings I’m not entirely sure which did it in the end yet. Sorry couldn’t be more help but wanted to at least know you weren’t alone in getting it.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 19 May 2013 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 288 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1663
Joined  2010-10-10

I got that too belovedalia , but turned reflections off and it fixed it.

Signature 

Wendy

My freestuff: http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=Wilmap

Tutorial: http://www.sharecg.com/v/69943/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/How-to-install-zip-files

PLEASE NOTE:
My items are NOT to be used on Second Life website.  They have recently changed their TOS and are legally able to take/steal anything uploaded and resell/redistribute to items.

Posted: 19 May 2013 03:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 289 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Yes I thought that might have been what it was for me in the end but for me it was so much by the time I got it off…. I didn’t want to add to the confusion if I was wrong (hadn’t replicated enough to be sure.) The thing is, I’m not sure why reflection was turned on when I applied the shader… was 10% iirc.

... that is, confusing way to say I’m not sure why reflection on at (10%?) is default when applying the shader.

The other thing (good) is that the shader seems to respond to reflection very quickly, more quickly then other shaders, but I have to do some more testing to confirm this… so much to try, so much to play with on this shader.. it’s fun wink

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 19 May 2013 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 290 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2003-10-09

I modified a scene originally saved in 4.5 using 4.6, some dynamic cloth + V4 + some scene props, then saved in 4.6.  It crashes 4.6 every time upon loading now.  I added some smoothing and push modifiers to the dynamic cloth.  Might that be the culprit?  I do have 16 Gb RAM on my system (Mac OS 10.8.3).

Posted: 19 May 2013 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 291 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13601
Joined  2003-10-09
CMacks - 19 May 2013 05:22 AM

I modified a scene originally saved in 4.5 using 4.6, some dynamic cloth + V4 + some scene props, then saved in 4.6.  It crashes 4.6 every time upon loading now.  I added some smoothing and push modifiers to the dynamic cloth.  Might that be the culprit?  I do have 16 Gb RAM on my system (Mac OS 10.8.3).

Try it on a fresh scene, but I would expect dynamic cloth to play badly with or simply ignore anything that modifies the mesh. If you can reproduce it please bug report it as a crash is a bad response, even to wrong or unsupported user-actions.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 19 May 2013 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 292 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  988
Joined  2012-02-04

Usually smoothing is added after the cloth sim is frozen.  It helps clean up some of the really bad foldbacks that the dynamic cloth sim seems to generate, as well as helps with pokethrough in areas where the cloth sim’s collision failed to adequately stay away from the underlying figure.  When you freeze the sim, it turns the cloth into a static prop mesh and all the dynamics aspect is gone; it’s a one-way activity with no undo.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 19 May 2013 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 293 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2011-01-03

I downloaded studio 6 directly from the store page. Will installing it replace the previous version or should I remove the old daz first?

Posted: 19 May 2013 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 294 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2007-08-27
Fabe_ca - 19 May 2013 09:45 AM

I downloaded studio 6 directly from the store page. Will installing it replace the previous version or should I remove the old daz first?

It will uninstall the previous version first as part of the installation process.

Posted: 19 May 2013 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 295 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-01-03
DoctorJellybean - 19 May 2013 09:50 AM
Fabe_ca - 19 May 2013 09:45 AM

It will uninstall the previous version first as part of the installation process.

Thanks,any thing else I should and/or need to install?

Posted: 19 May 2013 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 296 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2007-08-27

Not really, no. Obviously you need Genesis Starter Essentials, which may already be installed.

Posted: 19 May 2013 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 297 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-01-03
DoctorJellybean - 19 May 2013 10:24 AM

Not really, no. Obviously you need Genesis Starter Essentials, which may already be installed.

Yeah i got genesis install, just wanted to make sure I didn’t need to update it or anything else that can with the bundle. Thanks again for the help.

Posted: 19 May 2013 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 298 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8425
Joined  2007-11-06
Fabe_ca - 19 May 2013 11:04 AM
DoctorJellybean - 19 May 2013 10:24 AM

Yeah i got genesis install, just wanted to make sure I didn’t need to update it or anything else that can with the bundle. Thanks again for the help.

GSE has been updated, but there’s nothing essential, the prior version will work fine.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 19 May 2013 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 299 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1615
Joined  2012-01-04
DAZ_Spooky - 17 May 2013 08:09 AM
Ledhead - 17 May 2013 07:16 AM
fixmypcmike - 16 May 2013 10:52 PM

If you Export User Data it puts the info in files named UserData_1.dsx (and _2 if needed, etc.) in the Runtime:Support folder

I was unable to find the files you are referring to. I am not exporting anything. All I am asking for is where does it store the info that is created when a user creates their own categories. Here is an example of what I am talking about. The content is not under the Default category, it is under a more organized method, at least in my opinion. Where is that info stored at?

Please select the image for a better view.

It stores it in the database. If you want to save it, Export Userdata.

I at first did not understand what was meant by Exporting User data, but I now do and thank you as I will certainly utilize this in the future.

However, there was no need to do so other than having a back-up of my personal categorization, because I can report that installing the new version over the old worked wonderfully. All of my hours spent cataloging my content, in which is only around 25% completed, was left intact and not disturbed as far as I can tell. There was no need to uninstall anything as that process was done by the installer with no hiccups.

I have as yet to try anything with the new version, but at least to this point all seems satisfactory.

I certainly wish I knew the Genesis Starter Essentials was not anything different than the previous version, as that was the only thing I had to clear out of the default folder.

At this point I will give thanks to DAZ for a smooth upgrade with an option to change my mind when I start using the program on a daily basis.

Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18

Posted: 19 May 2013 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 300 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10712
Joined  2007-11-06

...performed a test render with Garibaldi Hair (eyebrows) and the render stalled at 99%  Clicked “cancel” but even after the render window and dialogue pane cleared it was still running.  Closed the application then went into Windows Task Manager and the application was still active (as well as growing in memory usage) in the processes tab. 

The scene was a simple portrait, Genesis set up as a child, MPC with a photo paper backdrop, standard Daz Light set (non UE), and no shadows.  A previous render using Lantios 2 cancelled with no issue (changed the lightset to save rendering time for the tests).  The eyebrows had only 260 hairs. 3,000 verticies.

Looks similar to what occurred with the old memory leaks that plagued 2.0 - 3Advanced.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

20 of 40