61 of 100
Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope
Posted: 17 February 2013 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 901 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

You guys keep me laughing…!

Ok, I was inspired to finish my photoreal guy… fixed the teeth with SSS and then fixed the hair displacement, and altered the alphamap to match… I think he looks much better now…

Then I saved him and started to work on the suit texture when…
*sound of bomb falling* shut eye
CRAASH!

Oh well. At least I saved first. I don’t think I would have tried this kind of displacement in 32bit Carrara. I’m pretty happy with tonight’s work even if I am fishing my final render out of the DAZtmp folder. LOL

Image Attachments
Doc25.png
 Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 17 February 2013 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 902 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1387
Joined  2011-01-03
holly wetcircuit - 17 February 2013 01:09 AM

You guys keep me laughing…!

Ok, I was inspired to finish my photoreal guy… fixed the teeth with SSS and then fixed the hair displacement, and altered the alphamap to match… I think he looks much better now…

Looking real good there Holly. Hey, at least you saved! I can’t wait to see the rest of the work.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 17 February 2013 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 903 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
evilproducer - 16 February 2013 11:33 PM

Put it in Carrara and open a marble shader or two and pick them apart. You might like what you see.

I’m still trying to get OBJ export/import down pat. It still seems to do weird things in Carrara.

I tried going in the other direction and get the “crushed sapphires” posed V4 into LightWave. She shows up in the default T-pose without any of the texturing…texturing I should be able to get back but without bones, I sure can’t pose her again.

I’d be willing to bet a considerably large sum of money that it would be against the DAZ licensing to rig V4 using LightWave (not that I have such a skill yet).

Right now, I’m thinking that I have simply made the rooms too large. I need to re-think the room layout architecturally and start again. I do want to stick with this as a scene idea though because I think the end result could be fantastic (and it has been spectacular education for me).

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 17 February 2013 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 904 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
evilproducer - 16 February 2013 11:42 PM

Well, that explains why he’s so happy all the time- He’s not in Fargo!

No kidding! I’ve been there four times to visit my friends…never in the depths of winter though, thank FSM! It disturbs me that one of the tallest parts of the town is the highway overpass…

evilproducer - 16 February 2013 11:42 PM

So that’s where they exiled the guys that came up with “Clippy!”

Hehehehehe!! Not quite…but it would be a deserving punishment (I doubt Microsoft will ever live-down the Clippy Fiasco).

I think MSFT is one of the (or is the) largest employer in Fargo now. They are making huge investments into their campus. It was acquired years ago when MSFT bought Great Plains software - which makes the Dynamics CRM software. So most people there are Dynamics devs and support. But they have added support teams for SharePoint and SQL Server…I think some Office support is there too.

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 17 February 2013 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 905 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Koukotsu - 16 February 2013 11:55 PM

I’m not too happy with this one for numerous reasons, but I did find an outfit that is more appropriate for the setting/theme.

The hair is still a bit freaky but I love it too much to part with it, lol. wink

Koukotsu, your work makes me want to add Aiko to my runtime. Though I doubt I could come close to your expertise and skill, I am curious about which products you make the most use of…if it is even possible to build such a list…

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 17 February 2013 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 906 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5301
Joined  2006-08-27
Garstor - 17 February 2013 08:00 AM
evilproducer - 16 February 2013 11:33 PM

Put it in Carrara and open a marble shader or two and pick them apart. You might like what you see.

I’m still trying to get OBJ export/import down pat. It still seems to do weird things in Carrara.

I tried going in the other direction and get the “crushed sapphires” posed V4 into LightWave. She shows up in the default T-pose without any of the texturing…texturing I should be able to get back but without bones, I sure can’t pose her again.

I’d be willing to bet a considerably large sum of money that it would be against the DAZ licensing to rig V4 using LightWave (not that I have such a skill yet).

Right now, I’m thinking that I have simply made the rooms too large. I need to re-think the room layout architecturally and start again. I do want to stick with this as a scene idea though because I think the end result could be fantastic (and it has been spectacular education for me).

As long as you don’t redistribute, you can do anything you want to the model.

Edited to add: This video was done in C5. I had bought transposer, but I could never get it to work, I bought the T-rex model from DAZ before I realized transposer was a dud (for me), so I brought the T-Rex’ object file into Carrara and rigged it myself. I didn’t really know or understand what morphs were, so I didn’t do any of that. I also didn’t know about the shadow catcher either.

http://youtu.be/taejI7yb2R0

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 17 February 2013 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 907 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
evilproducer - 17 February 2013 08:19 AM

Duly noted. When I am ready to learn rigging, I might try using V4 in LightWave.

Edited to add: This video was done in C5. I had bought transposer, but I could never get it to work, I bought the T-rex model from DAZ before I realized transposer was a dud (for me), so I brought the T-Rex’ object file into Carrara and rigged it myself. I didn’t really know or understand what morphs were, so I didn’t do any of that. I also didn’t know about the shadow catcher either.

That is pretty darn good! It really blows my mind how far 3D and CGI has come - could you imagine telling people about doing this on a desktop-class computer even just 10 years ago?

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 17 February 2013 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 908 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5301
Joined  2006-08-27
Garstor - 17 February 2013 09:23 AM

Duly noted. When I am ready to learn rigging, I might try using V4 in LightWave.

That is pretty darn good! It really blows my mind how far 3D and CGI has come - could you imagine telling people about doing this on a desktop-class computer even just 10 years ago?

Ten years? Try five years! There’s been people here hacking their X-Box and Sony Kinect stuff to do MoCap! It’s amazing!

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 17 February 2013 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 909 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1145
Joined  2005-04-12

Garstor,

When you export V4, ensure that you select the option to “Export Objects with Morphs and Skinning”.  Then you will get the posed figure and not the default pose.

Posted: 17 February 2013 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 910 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2010-03-06
Garstor - 17 February 2013 08:10 AM

I am curious about which products you make the most use of…if it is even possible to build such a list…

A3 was being phased-out of the DAZ store fairly quick at one time, and some of the things I use might not even be purchasable anymore, but this is the character morph I use 98% of the time: http://www.daz3d.com/mulberry-for-a3

All of Thorne/Sarsa’s A3 characters are fantastic, but Sarsa’s Mulberry takes the cake in my opinion, lol. The promo images are decent but they just don’t do this character proper justice! 

This is one of my personal favorite hairstyles, I use it all the time: http://www.daz3d.com/hermes-hair

Here’s the definitive A3 school-girl outfit, every Anime lady needs one of those, lol: http://www.daz3d.com/cool-fever-for-a3

I use my own custom textures for the skirt and zebra-striped tie though.

I’ll always wonder why DAZ bothered creating Genesis when they already had the perfect figure 12 years ago, lol wink

Posted: 17 February 2013 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 911 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2009-03-09

Why do I love Carrara? 

That’s Jack Tomalin’s library, 20 separate, clothed Poser characters and two replicators to beef up the crowd a bit.

416 individual objects comprising 13,858,523 renderable facets (not the same as polys, but it’s facets that get rendered anyway), An optimized texture map surface of 2.01 gigabytes.

It took 16 gigabytes of RAM, and rendered in a staggering…  3 minutes

Needs a little tweaking, still, but Carrara is still responsive and happy enough.  Poser gave up on 8 figures, I wasn’t even going to try with Studio.  Photorealistic?  Nope.  Not going for PR, sorry - I’m telling a story, not taking snapshots.  This is a very nearly AO only shot, using a bright yellow-orange basic scene ambient at 100% and a bright light to shine through the windows.

Image Attachments
Doc6.jpg
 Signature 

Come visit my store!

http://www.daz3d.com/fenric
http://fenric.com/wordpress/store/

Posted: 17 February 2013 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 912 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7530
Joined  2009-07-13

and meanwhile Wendy has been playing in the vertex modeller . . red face

I cheated and made it symmetrical in Hexagon but the scary reast inc uv mapping 4 photos of my Corolla on it is all Carrara. . .
. . .and . .
the mouth!

filletted and morphed with tongue saved in viseme poses as NLA clips to use in Mimic

scary video rendering now . .

Image Attachments
corolla.png
 Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 17 February 2013 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 913 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

A fox wedding that is NOT photoreal…? I can’t imagine what you were thinking….

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 914 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
wendy♥catz - 17 February 2013 12:10 PM

and meanwhile Wendy has been playing in the vertex modeller . . red face

I cheated and made it symmetrical in Hexagon but the scary reast inc uv mapping 4 photos of my Corolla on it is all Carrara. . .
. . .and . .
the mouth!

filletted and morphed with tongue saved in viseme poses as NLA clips to use in Mimic

scary video rendering now . .

gulp there are no words… Amazing….

Another of my big guy:

Image Attachments
Doc4.png
 Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 915 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
PhilW - 17 February 2013 10:20 AM

Garstor,

When you export V4, ensure that you select the option to “Export Objects with Morphs and Skinning”.  Then you will get the posed figure and not the default pose.

Thanks Phil! I’ll definitely watch out for that next time.

Still pondering how to make the new art gallery. Smaller rooms…definitely! Maybe T-shaped. Vaulted ceiling—this time planned for from the beginning instead of the hideously beveled afterthought…

Signature 

- Garstor

61 of 100