Digital Art Zone

22 of 100
Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope
Posted: 02 November 2012 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 316 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2007-03-03

I did not think posting my video was going to get this involved. I almost wish I hadnt.

The community of Star Wars fan film creators is one of admiration and respect. Many have used John Williams’ music and as far as I can tell, he is happy to allow his music in fanfilms (many use it, and not just Star Wars).  I’m not trying to use the “everybody else does it” defense, but such is the nature of fan films.

Video was rendered in Carrara. Enjoy it (or don’t).

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 02 November 2012 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 317 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  361
Joined  0
Kodiak3D - 02 November 2012 11:14 AM

I did not think posting my video was going to get this involved. I almost wish I hadnt.

Video was rendered in Carrara. Enjoy it (or don’t).

Your animation is pretty cool.
It’s just that it opened an off topic line of discussion, not necessarily aimed at you.

Regarding your video, the only comment I would give is that the action seemed a little too slow.
I wonder how it would look just speeded up some.

Signature 

-Dean

DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1922/

Posted: 02 November 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 318 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-03

The slowness is due to the motions themselves, not the capture process. Having never done mocap before, we weren’t quite as serious with our movements as we should have been. There’s also a little anticipation of the shots, but I tried to time them to hide it.

When we did the capture I was throwing Nerf darts at my friend for him to dodge/block, lol.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 02 November 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 319 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
Kodiak3D - 02 November 2012 04:49 AM
holly wetcircuit - 01 November 2012 10:50 PM

TUTORIAL!! TUTORIAL!!

Any particular aspect, or just the whole thing?

I think ANYTHING you’d like to share would be useful… but I am very interested in your mocap workflow into Carrara.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 02 November 2012 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 320 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-03

Holly, I’ll go more in depth later tonight (I’m at work right now and then have dinner plans with my wife), but I will say I export a BVH from iPisoft, bring that into DAZ Studio, the re-export it as an animated pose. Those are easy to bring into Carrara and then you just clear out unwanted key frames and work from there.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 02 November 2012 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 321 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
Kodiak3D - 02 November 2012 12:05 PM

Holly, I’ll go more in depth later tonight (I’m at work right now and then have dinner plans with my wife), but I will say I export a BVH from iPisoft, bring that into DAZ Studio, the re-export it as an animated pose. Those are easy to bring into Carrara and then you just clear out unwanted key frames and work from there.

That’s helpful… I guess I could use POSER for the same use…

BVH directly into Carrara was problematic?

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 02 November 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 322 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-03

I found it to be, but others may know it better. I’m no expert at Carrara.  I just found what worked for me.  grin

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 02 November 2012 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 323 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-03

OK, so a bit of a tutorial on what I did:

1.  Motion:  the motions were recorded using 1 or 2 Kinects and iPisoft mocap software.  The first half (up to where the remote comes out) was done with 1 Kinect on iPisoft 1.0.  The rest was done on 2 Kinects on version 2.0 and works much better.  I exported BVH files from iPisoft and imported them into DAZ Studio, applied them to M4, then exported them as an animated pose.  Then I imported that to my character (also M4) in Carrara and then cleaned up the motion by deleting unwanted keyframes and/or reposing here and there. 

2.  Lightsaber:  pretty simple really.  The hilt is a freebie from Vanishingpoint.  I removed the blade on the model and replaced it with a blade I modeled myself (basically a cylinder with a rounded end) and added a mottled blue shader (fractal mixer) and put the same color in the glow channel.  Add a little bit of an aura (8 pixels or so) and you’re good to go.

3.  Blaster bolts:  basically the same thing as the lightsaber blade, just shorter and different color.  Used motion paths for the shots, usually on screen for about 0.2 - 0.3 seconds (6-8 frames).

4.  Remote explosion:  this took a while.  There are three particle emitters:  one with lots of small sparks, one with a few bigger chunks (a piece I modeled) and one for smoke.  The sparks are just small diamond particles with an orange color and glow.  The larger chunks have a slightly brighter yellow color/glow mixed with some black (fractal mixer).  The smoke is the basic smoke particle generator that used to come with Carrara that 3DAGE had updated to work with C8, with a few little tweaks including a slight grey glow to make the smoke more visible. 

5.  Thrown lightsaber:  motion path combined with a spin modifier.

6.  Candles/ball bearings:  ball bearings are just spheres with a chrome shader.  When the saber hits them, I switch to a double of the shere with an orange/yellow glow shader combined with an explode and dissolve modifier.  Add in some particle sparks for fun.  The candle flames are regular Carrara fire with an Anything Glows added on each one.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 02 November 2012 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 324 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2011-05-15

Yeah it’s OT, but all this star wars fan film stuff does make me wonder now—will Disney be as encouraging to fan films as Lucas has been?

I haven’t seen them coming down on Marvel fan films as of yet, so I assume it’s still all good.

Signature 

Patron the creation of Outstanding Pajamas: http://www.patreon.com/BCRice

Posted: 03 November 2012 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 325 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2006-12-12

I sure do miss visiting the forums…..Life has really been eating up a lot of my ‘free’ time.

I have not been as active in the forums as I have in the past but I had a little time recently to complete a ‘just-for-fun’ piece.

Image Attachments
SteamRoller_DAZForumSized.jpg

Posted: 03 November 2012 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 326 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-12-12

This is a piece I did for my sister’s husband with a club logo they had…..it is some kind of live role playing thing…...

They wanted a Steam Punk Vampire rolling dice…...

Image Attachments
SteamRoller_DAZ-Forum-Sized.jpg

Posted: 03 November 2012 02:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 327 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2011-05-15
SLoTH_XVX - 03 November 2012 02:26 AM

I sure do miss visiting the forums…..Life has really been eating up a lot of my ‘free’ time.

I have not been as active in the forums as I have in the past but I had a little time recently to complete a ‘just-for-fun’ piece.

Like this.

Signature 

Patron the creation of Outstanding Pajamas: http://www.patreon.com/BCRice

Posted: 03 November 2012 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 328 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4702
Joined  2004-07-01
SLoTH_XVX - 03 November 2012 02:28 AM

This is a piece I did for my sister’s husband with a club logo they had…..it is some kind of live role playing thing…...

cool cheese

Posted: 03 November 2012 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 329 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-03

Nice works, SLoth grin  I love the angel.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 03 November 2012 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 330 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-12-12
BC Rice - 03 November 2012 02:41 AM
SLoTH_XVX - 03 November 2012 02:26 AM

Like this.

Thanks BC.

bigh - 03 November 2012 02:42 AM
SLoTH_XVX - 03 November 2012 02:28 AM

cool cheese

Thanks bigh

Kodiak3D - 03 November 2012 08:00 AM

Nice works, SLoth grin  I love the angel.

Thanks Kodiak

If I get some time this weekend I might work on some more stuff. I really want to figure out the Genesis figure thing in Carrara, haven’t tried him/her/it yet.

22 of 100