Digital Art Zone

21 of 100
Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope
Posted: 01 November 2012 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 301 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2007-03-03

Just finished a little project I started over a year ago and got away from.  I wanted to test out iPisoft’s mocap system (2 Kinects) and this is the result:

(Funny this thread should be called “A New Hope.”  It’s oddly appropriate.)

http://youtu.be/rpM_r2W_W2E

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 01 November 2012 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 302 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

TUTORIAL!! TUTORIAL!!

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 02 November 2012 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 303 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-03
holly wetcircuit - 01 November 2012 10:50 PM

TUTORIAL!! TUTORIAL!!

Any particular aspect, or just the whole thing?

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 02 November 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 304 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
Kodiak3D - 01 November 2012 09:47 PM

Just finished a little project I started over a year ago and got away from.  I wanted to test out iPisoft’s mocap system (2 Kinects) and this is the result:

(Funny this thread should be called “A New Hope.”  It’s oddly appropriate.)

http://youtu.be/rpM_r2W_W2E

For those who may not be aware (and I’m not talking about the OP or anyone in particular, just providing some general information…), using John Williams’ music, for example, as well as a derivative of the Star Wars logo in a video may raise some legal and non-legal concerns.

You need to be careful that you don’t violate any copyright and/or trademark laws. I’m not a lawyer, so I can’t advise you. However, it’s generally not a good idea to use copyrighted and/or trademarked material in your videos, even if they are not for profit or you think they are educational, or even if you think it’s just a well-intentioned tribute to the original artists.

But aside from the legal aspects, look at it from the artists’ perspective. Let’s say you produced some music you were very proud of, and you produced it in the context of a certain film, as a way to tell a particular story and add to the visual experience. The intent of the music you produced was to be used only for that one portion of a particular film, because that’s the context of how you wanted your music to be heard, and that’s how it had the desired impact.

And then let’s say that someone took your music and used it in a cat food commercial.

You’d probably be real disappointed, and maybe even offended.

Now, I’m not saying the OP’s video is the equivalent of a cat food commercial, just trying to make a point. The music was designed by the composer for a particular purpose, and by copying it and associating it with something else you are possibly diluting the music for anyone who watches the video. Especially those who have never seen the original. Suddenly the music you worked so hard on and put so much of yourself into becomes nothing more than a jingle for a cat food commercial. Get my point? It has nothing to do with the law, but everything to do with respect for the composer and his work.

Now, even if you were convinced that the video was the artistic equivalent to the original film, what matters is whether the composer would agree and want you to associate his music with your video.

Whether you have good intentions, which I’m sure we all do, is not the point. We all want to show our respects to the Star Wars folks for their great work. But IMO, the way to do that is to respect their work in a way that they want it to be respected. 

Posted: 02 November 2012 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 305 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-03

Joemamma, I understand your concerns, but I’m guessing you aren’t too familiar with the world of Star Wars fanfilms. George Lucas has expressed his full support of fanfilms using such things and is supportive of it, as long as you aren’t trying to make money off it.  Lucasfilm even has an annual contest. Disney might change that policy, but I doubt it.

Also, as for the music, Sony Music Entertainment apparent also allows the use of the music on YouTube, but throws an ad on your video if you do (YouTube said that’s why there’s an ad on my video).

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 02 November 2012 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 306 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

And that’s fine. If John Williams is happy with you using his music with your video, then there’s no problem with your particular situation.

But the point remains. For people here who are contemplating using copyrighted material, they need to understand not only the legal, but also the non-legal aspects. Which is why I raised the issue. You hear a lot of talk about the legal aspects, but nobody considers the “respect” aspect.

Posted: 02 November 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 307 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-03

All very true.

I really admire Lucas for being so supportive of other filmmakers. He’s always said he remembers what it was like for him early on and he wants to be helpful to others. It’s very generous of him to let others play in his universe and not send his lawyers after them like a pack of starving wolves. He’s got enough money and isn’t greedy about it.

Heck, he just sold Lucasfilm for 4.05 billion dollars and he’s donating almost all of it to educational charities. What a guy!

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 02 November 2012 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 308 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
Kodiak3D - 02 November 2012 09:28 AM

I really admire Lucas for being so supportive of other filmmakers

Yes, great guy.

But how does John Williams feel about you using his music?

Posted: 02 November 2012 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 309 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  213
Joined  2008-06-12

It is truly amazing what one individual of relatively modest financial means can accomplish nowadays with these emerging technologies.  This is a look at the future, when the means of production are available to everyone, and the only limitation is, as it should be, an artist’s talent (and time).

Posted: 02 November 2012 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 310 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
Ostadan - 02 November 2012 10:06 AM

This is a look at the future, when the means of production are available to everyone, and the only limitation is, as it should be, an artist’s talent (and time).

Actually it has always been that way. Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Picasso, etc., only used oil and canvas and marble, which was available to everyone, and they produced some incredible stuff. It’s all relative, I guess.

Posted: 02 November 2012 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 311 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  548
Joined  2007-08-14

I didn’t know those guys made movies that depict fantastical things not found in the real world. Live and learn.

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 02 November 2012 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 312 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  0

While respecting the original intent of a composer’s music is a laudable ideal, I fear that it’s no longer practiced in today’s culture.

As an example, consider television commercials. It would seem that there is no longer anyone left capable of composing a new product “jingle”. Instead, advertisers slap a popular song from the 60s onto their TV spot and call it finished.

Maybe you fondly remember listening to the song “Woo Hoo” by The Rock-A-Teens in 1959, or perhaps you remember hearing the same song performed in 2003 by the Japanese rock band The 5.6.7.8’s in the movie “Kill Bill” during the “Showdown at the House of Blue Leaves” scene.

But today you’ll probably just remember it as the jingle for the “Vonage” commercials.

Nope, there’s no respect.

Signature 

-Dean

DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1922/

Posted: 02 November 2012 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 313 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-03

I think what Ostadan is saying (and I agree with him) is that it was only a few years ago that the ability to create a video like mine was only available to rich movie production companies and now you can afford to do it at home.

Personally, I think the future of movie making lies in independent film/animation for this very reason.

As for John Wiiliams’ thoughts on me using his music, I like to think he’s happy to see that his music is being used in an artistic way still intended to drive the emotion of the video. I don’t feel that I’ve disrespected him in any way. I use his music out of admiration, not derision.  Of course, I don’t KNOW his opinion, but as far as I am aware, there’s no problem using his music in fanfilms. If I find out differently, I’ll change it.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 02 November 2012 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 314 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
Kodiak3D - 02 November 2012 10:35 AM

I use his music out of admiration, not derision.  Of course, I don’t KNOW his opinion, but as far as I am aware, there’s no problem using his music in fanfilms. If I find out differently, I’ll change it.

Again, the point is that only the artist knows whether he feels offended or not.

IMO, the correct and respectful way to proceed is to contact him or his agency and ask them. Just do a search for “John Williams contact info” or something like that and send a letter or email. It’s the way you or I would choose to be treated, no?

Posted: 02 November 2012 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 315 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2006-04-26
Kodiak3D - 02 November 2012 09:07 AM

George Lucas has expressed his full support of fanfilms using such things and is supportive of it, as long as you aren’t trying to make money off it.  Lucasfilm even has an annual contest. Disney might change that policy, but I doubt it.

Disney is well known for being particularly anal about its trademark usage, even when there is no monetary gain. I recall a nursery school back in the 80’s that was forced to remove the Disney characters from murals on its walls.

21 of 100