Digital Art Zone

9 of 100
Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope
Posted: 30 August 2012 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2012-07-27
chris poole - 28 May 2012 06:25 PM

Just doing something shiney whilst getting my head together and taking a short break from my animation. Free T-800 model from free3d.

Thanks for looking

Chris,

Awesome job! 

If you’ll forgive me, I recognize this as a 3DSMAX 9 model I have come across in the past.  How did you get it into Carrara?  Did you bring it in as the full rig?  What file format?  3DS, FBX, OBJ,...?

I am trying to learn the rope sof bringing in 3DSMAX rigs like this into Carrara EXACTLY as you have done here.  May I ask how you pulled it off?

I’d like to invite you to offer whatever you might have to offer to this thread that I just started:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/6717/

And just out of curiosity, where’s the rest of the full body rig that goes along with the head?  grin

Thanks!

Posted: 01 September 2012 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1825
Joined  2004-08-24

just a quickie / testing ideas smile

Image Attachments
highlandof2.jpg

Posted: 01 September 2012 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  0

Working with shadow buffers, trying to get as close to realism without heavy rendertime… The eyes are fixed by a shader cheat (I’ll have to do similar with teeth and mouth)....

I was feeling too lazy to pant the inside of the nostrils, so I tried a negative light. big surprise which I never used before… And it is not what I expected…, or rather using it was like trying to pedal the the steampunk wombledybat zepplin backwards in high heels…. shock But neg-light effect when heavy was kind of nice and dramatic… Would be great for illustration…

... Just Shadow Buffers ... | ... neg-spotlight at 40% “brightness” ... | ... neg-pointlight at 100% “brightness” ...

Image Attachments
Screen_Shot_2012-09-02_at_12.06_.22_AM_.png
 Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 01 September 2012 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6068
Joined  2006-08-27

Maybe you could place negative lights in the nostrils and the mouth! wink

Are you trying to make a character that looks like somebody in real life? Kind of looks eerily like a character actor named Billy Drago.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0236711/bio

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 01 September 2012 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

Negs in the nostrils was what I’d intended to do… but the reality of doing that… Have you tried? Wasn’t quite as easy as I thought.

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2012 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Haven’t had a chance. Still using C7.2 Pro.

Signature 

Posted: 02 September 2012 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

LOL, I don’t know why everyone is talking about C9… I still haven’t gotten so far with 8, lol…

Signature 

Posted: 02 September 2012 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

I’ve been going cross-eyed playing around with the toon renderer and shaders included with Carrara. I found as many have that using the YaToon lighting model in the shaders works best with using a high ambient light and doesn’t seem to work with scene lights. I didn’t like the look much. I tend to like the toon look where there are more dramatic shadows. This image I used the toon effect in the scene settings and modified some shaders to achieve a flatter look to the skin. I also exaggerated the highlights and used the glare effect as well as some post work to get a DOF.

I’m also including a render without the toon effect.

I used a Jessica Rabbit morph and dress set for V3.

Image Attachments
Jessica-Rabbit.jpgJessica-Rabbit02.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 02 September 2012 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

I LOVE the highlight you got on the dress from YaToon…
but I agree that I never understood all the apparent(?) controls in Yatoon, some just don’t seem to react with the lights at all…

With my own shadow problems I think I finally got two negative bulbs shoved up M3’s nostrils… and set to the appropriate distance after 70+ test renders since the spot render tool is busted in the current C8.5 beta)... I can’t tell if my main negative light is making everything look noisy or if it is just bringing out extreme details in my skin texture… Eitherway I like the way it looks (gritty, grainy) but I don’t know if I can animate with that, it might just turn to noisey sparkle mush…. (click for bigger)

A “Negative Light” is simply a switch on the light panel that makes its rays subtract from the scene rather than add, so it’s just a simple math function as far as the render is concerned, not a special magic tool that reduces light in a given area realistically - like a “sphere of influence”.... Also the negative light needs to be the multiplier of all the lights it will hit, I think… A negative light needs to be at 200% “brightness” to cancel out 2 regular lights at 100% brightness….Now consider that a negative light can use shadow buffers, soft shadows, or not cast shadows, and it just gets weirder…. I’m not sure what I thought negative lights would be, but now that I’m using them I can see why they were never considered important enough in the past. They are somewhat awkward to use. and require a LOT of trial and error. Even just casting on a flat plane didn’t give the results I expected… there are actually dark highights depending on the specularity of the shader….

Image Attachments
Doc74.png
 Signature 

Posted: 02 September 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Interesting info. about the negative lights. They do sound kind of awkward.

Regarding my toon image, I decided not tom use YaToon for the dress (or any of it really) because I wasn’t getting any specular effect. I eventually dropped it as well from the skin and hair. Interestingly, I did get a better effect if I went with plain flat colors with the scene’s toon effect. The gloves and hair for instance looked really nice. The skin seemed to work better without the YaToon lighting model in the shader as well. I just cranked up the highlight and shininess.

Signature 

Posted: 02 September 2012 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

So that’s not actually YaToon, it’s just regular shader tricks? Interesting…

Signature 

Posted: 02 September 2012 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

I’ll try and post the settings I used for the toon effect later. Right now I’m setting up shading domains and shaders for a freebie Millenium Falcon Model I’ve had gathering cyber-dust for awhile.

Signature 

Posted: 02 September 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2012-03-27

Just a sketch of a portrait in the works. How does it look like?

Image Attachments
Ileyna_Amell_Hero_of_Ferelden_(5).jpg
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_10.png

Posted: 02 September 2012 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Ilena52 - 02 September 2012 01:56 PM

Looking good. You’ve got a good firelight/candlelight vibe going.

Here’s a test render of the Millenium Falcon. Still working on the shaders and creating shading domains where needed.

Image Attachments
Millenium-Falcon01.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 03 September 2012 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2008-10-05
evilproducer - 02 September 2012 05:31 PM
Ilena52 - 02 September 2012 01:56 PM

Looking good. You’ve got a good firelight/candlelight vibe going.

Here’s a test render of the Millenium Falcon. Still working on the shaders and creating shading domains where needed.

AWESOME!

I wish I had a Millenium Falcon.

Shawn.
God bless.

9 of 100