Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Helper objects not helping in Carrara
Posted: 12 May 2013 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2010-03-22

Hi,

I got my rig all set up with weight paint and all seemed good but then when I started to place the helper objects, I found an issue. The model starts to swim around as I zoom in with my mouse wheel. I noticed the motion isn’t placing new key frames like it normally would with motion, so I’m not sure if this is a glitch or what. Anyone else have this issue or know a solution that can fix this?

Thanks

Posted: 12 May 2013 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5453
Joined  2006-08-27

Maybe save and quit, then relaunch Carrara?

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 12 May 2013 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-22

Thanks.  I gave it a try but its still doing it. So it sounds like a bug then?

OOPS. I just took the helper object from a nested position and it may have fixed this…. I thought it needed nesting. Guess not?

Posted: 12 May 2013 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-22

It is still jumping around some when I scrub and let go of the mouse. It messed up my original pose enough to make me go back to an old file. :(

Posted: 12 May 2013 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi More2burn smile

What version of carrara are you using ...is this happening in the 8.5 Beta, or in 8.1 ?
what OS and graphics card. ?

Any more info on what you’re doing, and how you’re doing it, or screen-shots of the figure / bones / instance list etc..can be helpful

for example,. are you using he IK chain tool,. to create the IK helpers,. or are you adding a target helper object, and using “IK target” to select that helper object.

Posted: 12 May 2013 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-22

Carrara 8 8.1.1.12
Vista
Nvidia 9500GT

I’m adding a target helper object. Selecting the bone I want for that object and going to the modifiers tab where I then select the helper object that I made.

Image Attachments
Carrara.jpg

Posted: 13 May 2013 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2006-01-10

Hi More2burn.

It could be a bug or a limitation in IK tracking or constraints. Its been an issue since Carrara 6(iirc). Mouse zoom movements that move the setup also happen in an simple IK chain with no bones.

I can give quick text written steps to repeat this issue for testing/bug reporting if needed.

Posted: 13 May 2013 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Tbwok smile

This isn’t something that I’m seeing in C8 or C6 / C7. either using target helper objects,. or the IK chain tool.

So, yes,. what’s needed is a description of the steps to reproduce this.
if it’s reproducible,. or other people are having this issue,.. and it’s apparent in C6 / C7 /C8,.
Has it been reported as a bug ?

If its happening for you in C6 / C7and C8 ,. Is it also happening in the Beta of 8.5 ?

If it’s still happening in the current beta,. then it needs to be dealt with now.

Posted: 13 May 2013 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-22

Thanks Evil, 3DAge, tbwoq, for the help. smile

I hope they work on that bug for the next release and hope its the one effecting me. I’ll need to use another program if I want ik helpers and that’s no fun :(
Does anyone know if Carrara has a way to mirror weight paint?  Thanks.

Posted: 13 May 2013 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

HI smile

I’m not sure that this is a BUG,. because it’s not happening for me,. in any version,. but it is for you,. so, I’d like to try to figure out what the problem is.

EG : are you both using the same mouse type / make,. or is there something else that you’re both using which could cause this

Can you please download this IK test file (13kb) and see if the IK targets behave in the same way that you’re IK targets in your rig are behaving.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/ik_test.car

thanks smile

Posted: 13 May 2013 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-22

@3dage

I made the model in hex.
I textured it in 3dcoat. (not shown in above pic.)
Back to hex to make an exact copy that was mirrored so I could have the texture mirrored on a “Twin” model. (just wanted to check if it would look ok later.)
Into Carrara to rig. I deleted one model and centered the one that remained.  ( I noticed in the model room that it didn’t center the same and I’m not sure if that matters.)
Made the bones and set constraints on the movement to limited.
Painted the weight.
Made a target helper object.
Select the bone I wanted it to effect.
Went to modifiers tab where I then select the helper object that I made.

Just saw your new post and will download now
Thanks

Posted: 13 May 2013 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-22

I’m using a logitech wireless mouse.
The file worked fine and didn’t have the same issues.

thanks

Posted: 13 May 2013 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-01-10

To test this issue/behavior using an IK chain setup;

-Insert 3 primitive cubes offset from each other.
-Parent them…

Cube
    |
  Cube 1
      |
    Cube 2.

Select Cube(parent) in the instance list, then select ‘Create IK chain’ icon on left side of the screen. Now click on Cube 2 in the scene window(this adds an IK Target to the instance list). Insert a Target Helper Object anywhere in scene. Select Cube 1 and add a ‘Track’ modifier to it(Modifiers tab->Behaviors->Track). Set the Cube 1 track modifier to track the Target Helper Object.

With the Move tool, mouse zooming will now move the setup. Im using the default mouse driver in Windows and C8.5 build 204 beta.
——
Mirror weight painting should work with Symmetry enabled in the model tab(C8 Pro and above afaik). Though Carrara is very strict with polymesh symmetry, if it is not exact it may not work well.

Posted: 13 May 2013 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-22

@ tbwoq,

Yes this is very similar, if not exactly the same as my issue. I never used a track modifier though so I’ll just cross my fingers for when they fix your bug, that it will fix mine too.

Is there a difference between using the ik chain method and the one I used? It shouldn’t matter right?  But if there is a difference I’ll try using IK chain.
thanks for the tips.

Posted: 13 May 2013 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-01-10
More2burn - 13 May 2013 09:52 AM

@ tbwoq,

Yes this is very similar, if not exactly the same as my issue. I never used a track modifier though so I’ll just cross my fingers for when they fix your bug, that it will fix mine too.

Is there a difference between using the ik chain method and the one I used? It shouldn’t matter right?  But if there is a difference I’ll try using IK chain.
thanks for the tips.

Glad the info helped.

Almost positive the issue steps are related, as it has happened in figures rigging I used before. It was just easier to explain with a primitive IK chain setup. I will check the bug tracker later to see if there a report on a similar issue.

This issue may also be related to a constraints and parenting bug, where constrained objects will move if you unparent and parent them to other objects. For instance, in my example above, after setting up the IK, deselecting ‘Use Constraints’ icon causes the cubes to move or shift unexpectedly.

Posted: 13 May 2013 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-22

Ok, let me know what you find out and if I should file a new report. thx

Update: I just reported the bug with your instructions to recreate the issue. Thx again

1 of 3