Digital Art Zone

3 of 12
Genesis to Poser .CR2 Competition
Posted: 26 June 2012 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2003-10-09

I know what you mean - but you can always post a WIP if you like. Most of the images in this thread so far have been just using Genesis in Poser, rather than actual competition entries. Keep an eye on the thread - and maybe throw something together real quick for Saturday if there aren’t a lot of posts before then? wink

At worst you get nothing. At best, maybe a surprise win!

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 26 June 2012 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I’ve uploaded some supplemental scripts (crease angle changes, smooth polys on/off) to:

http://www.who3d.com/SuplementaryScripts.zip

They’re not huge, but they can ease the workflow a little smile

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 26 June 2012 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6436
Joined  2006-02-20

{{{hugs}}}
If the new store had a possibility to select “favorite artists” you would be one of them!

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 26 June 2012 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Pfft - I’ve got that beat! If there was a “favourite artists” feature I’d be at the top of MY list!

Poser, DAZ Studio… Hexagon, Vue - so on and so forth. The whole idea is to try and make it easier to turn what’s inside your head into an image, as faithfully as possible. It’s good to try and take out as many of the “mundane work” bits and let us concentrate on the arty bits.

If doing the work is harder than writing a script, I’ll write a script. If writing the script is harder than doing the work… I’ll do it the hard/manual way and not write the script!

I wish I was in a position to write scripts for DS4 - as there’s a few scripts there that I’d like to see written.

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 26 June 2012 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  205
Joined  2004-11-14
Cliff Bowman - 15 June 2012 03:02 PM

OK, let’s get the ball rolling with a good old-fasioned competition! A Poser render competition featuring Genesis (anyone who doesn’t want Genesis, or doesn’t like it, doesn’t have to enter)

PRIZES!
=======

1st Prize - Victoria 5 Pro Bundle and Michael 5 Pro Bundle

2nd Prize either the Victoria 5 Pro Bundle or the Michael 5 Pro Bundle

3rd Prize A DAZ Original Starter Bundle (I think they are all listed HERE but there are some extras that show up, so be sure it says “Starter Bundle” in the product title and is a DO)

ALTERNATE PRIZES

Obviously, since you’re interested in Genesis ANYWAY there’s a possibility that you already have V5, M5, or indeed both and a slew of extras… so if you already own the listed prize you will be able to swap in any DAZ Original of the same or lesser value.

Entries must be posted to this thread.

Image must be 800x800 maximum to allow them to be posted to the forum. A larger version can be linked to, but the forum posting is what will be judged on. (I am VERY flexible on this)

Images must use (at least) one Genesis figure prominently in the scene.

Images must contain (at least) one figure/conformer which has been transferred to Poser using the CR2 exporter. My tut (http://www.daz3d.com/shop/new-releases/genesis-to-poser-cr2/) CAN be used as a reference to aid in doing this, but that is not mandatory. Nor is there any bar on exporting other figures as .OBJ files – but at least one should use the CR2 exporter. It can be Genesis or an item of clothing, or both.

Images MAY use any form of post-work, although when judging I (Cliff) personally will give kudos to renders without post-work (i.e. if there are two images that rank exactly the same but one is post-worked and one is not, the non-post-worked image will win out for me).

Judges’ decisions are final, and since it’s based on an appreciation of art may appear arbitrary. I will NOt be the only judge wink

All images should be newly created, never seen anywhere before - though they can be posted elsewhere once you’ve shown at least a WIP here.

Compettion closes 1st July at 23:59:59 Utah time.

It might be nice if DAZ could be granted the right to use any images submitted for publicity purposes, but would that be pushing things too far? (seeking forumite opinion here)

Every entrant should have a blast, enjoy trying to do something in the render that amuses them… whether it’s the process or the result. It’s the law, fun shall be had.

Cheers,

Cliff

Since I am using Poser that Tutorial would have come in handy but I can not afford it:(
I guess I have to search the Net to find help.

Posted: 26 June 2012 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-11-26
Cliff Bowman - 26 June 2012 04:30 AM

I’ve uploaded some supplemental scripts (crease angle changes, smooth polys on/off) to:

http://www.who3d.com/SuplementaryScripts.zip

They’re not huge, but they can ease the workflow a little smile

Cheers,

Cliff

This is put into Poser, right? And, what is the way it goes in? I know what way items go into Daz is. But I don’t know how to put things into Poser.

Signature 

Posted: 26 June 2012 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3025
Joined  2004-04-25

The scripts would be in Python as that is Poser’s scripting language.  It is best to place python scripts in the Python folder in the main Poser app folder.  By default, Poser still searches that folder for scripts.

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 27 June 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6436
Joined  2006-02-20

By the way: DS 4.5 is sounding more and more interesting:
Added UI options for conformMorphs, conformScale, and conformEndpoints to the Cr2 exporter
http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 27 June 2012 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Kerya - 27 June 2012 12:43 AM

By the way: DS 4.5 is sounding more and more interesting:
Added UI options for conformMorphs, conformScale, and conformEndpoints to the Cr2 exporter
http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

Isn’t it just? It’s nice to see some public report of additional work going on behind the scenes rather than me just saying “I’m told work proceeds” :D

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 27 June 2012 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2005-07-14

Here is my entry for the Genesis to Poser .CR2 Competition.

Genesis
Victoria 5 Shape
Future Cop Top
Future Cop Pants
Future Cop Boots
exported using the cr2 Exporter

furthermore in the scene
Radiant Jaguar Hair, the walled city and some primitives

Rendered in Poser Pro 2012, no Postwork (except resizing)

Image Attachments
Genesis2Poser.jpg

Posted: 27 June 2012 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  201
Joined  2006-03-02

3Duniverse’s Toon Amy wearing Littlefox’s Dakota pants and boots. My fiber hair on Amy and the horse. Only postwork was a little curves to brighten the image.

Are we only allowed to enter one image?

Image Attachments
amy_fiber.jpg

Posted: 28 June 2012 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
fivecat - 27 June 2012 07:43 PM

Are we only allowed to enter one image?

Good question! I can see arguments for going either way, so I think what we’ll do is allow up to 5 entries on the understanding that you can only win one prize - so if you get first place (for example) you are automatically disqualified from the 2nd and 3rd prizes. Having A limit should still avoid encouraging someone from subitting 50 preview renders all generated on the last day in the hope that one of the images will somehow resonate thematically.

So - no render flood, but more than 1 (up to 5 maximum should be finme, I would think) will be allowed smile

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 28 June 2012 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  201
Joined  2006-03-02

Thanks for allowing more than one image— five is a generous limit.

This is V5 wearing V4 clothing and hair.  The jaguar is Tiny’s furred cat with Lyne’s jaguar texture and morph.

Image Attachments
contest_v5.jpg

Posted: 29 June 2012 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I toyed around briefly with the idea of 3, but… I don’t like limits very much. So I went with what seemed like a limit that couldn’t stop anyone from producing good stuff, but would limit anyone who wanted to flood the compo with a torrent of images hoping one would “stick”. Rules are always tricky thing, but I prefer mine to be kinda relaxed :D

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 29 June 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

A quick heads up for anyone that bought the tutorial - seemingly DAZ QA have done an amazingly speedy job and have QA’d an update to the tut which adds around 10% more content to the tutorial and takes the script count up from 2 to 10, with some joint improvements in certain situations and other scripts just meant to make certain aspects of the workflow less tedious. Only Python scripts though, nothing for within DAZ Studio.

There’s a list of the changes, including a list of the scripts, under the “Additional Information” tab of the oproduct page:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-to-poser-cr2/

The scripts are the major change IMO.

If it isn’t still in your downloadable products at DAZ:

https://www.daz3d.com/shop/downloadable/customer/products/

then you’ll need to go to your order history:

https://www.daz3d.com/shop/customer/account/itemizedHistory/

this list now appears to be sorted alphabetically by name. Find the Genesis to Poser CR2 tut and click “Reset” to the right. The download should be available shortly.

I haven’t done a reset of an item and downloaded on the new software, but just in case… if downloading without pressing “Reset” gets you the old version (the installer filename will say 1.1 and the PDF will say 1.0) then try going the “Reset” route. Just in case the server/s cache the file based on what version was available when the item was added to your download list.

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

3 of 12