2 of 12
Genesis to Poser .CR2 Competition
Posted: 18 June 2012 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5713
Joined  2006-02-20

Well - I am using Foxit Reader ...
But I have to scratch some money together.
Not being able to use my PC coupon for half of the price is making things difficult.
But as I like DS AND Poser I would like to be able to use this doll in both ...
*goes hunting for pennies behind the couch*
And I think your tutorial is worth the full money, I am just not the wealthiest person.

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 18 June 2012 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1263
Joined  2003-10-09

Oh, I hear you both on the pennies situation (don’t forget to look down the sides, and even under the cushions - they’re your best bet in my experience) and on the fact that the PC coupon doesn’t apply to PA items. I have a sneaky suspicion that I’m not the only PA that’s… not entirely happy about that change, shall we say? It’s affected my purchases for certain, so I expect it to affect sales of the tutorial adversely :(

But we struggle on, as usual smile

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 18 June 2012 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2005-07-25

The most interesting part for me is the clothing of Genesis. How are the expirience with the tutorial and clothing in Poser?

Posted: 18 June 2012 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Mirana - 18 June 2012 11:19 AM

The most interesting part for me is the clothing of Genesis. How are the expirience with the tutorial and clothing in Poser?

Clothing is one of the larger challenges with using Genesis in Poser. Which is why a fairly large chunk of the tutorial is devoted to clothing topics - from page 29 to 48, inclusive.

I can’t promise it will make all clothing and hair work easily - it won’t. But of those I’ve tried, it’s helped more than it hasn’t except on the default Genesis shape (which doesn’t need so much help anyway).

Cheers,

Cliff

Image Attachments
gjbg2p_Page_02.jpg
 Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 18 June 2012 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2005-07-25
Cliff Bowman - 18 June 2012 11:36 AM
Mirana - 18 June 2012 11:19 AM

I can’t promise it will make all clothing and hair work easily - it won’t. But of those I’ve tried, it’s helped more than it hasn’t except on the default Genesis shape

Thanks for your fast answer. But what about shapes like V4 (or is this a default?)?
It’s so bad that this genesis sale ends today, so there is so much pressure on my decision :-(

Posted: 18 June 2012 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Mirana - 18 June 2012 11:44 AM

Thanks for your fast answer. But what about shapes like V4 (or is this a default?)?
It’s so bad that this genesis sale ends today, so there is so much pressure on my decision :-(

V4 isn’t default, but is fairly close to it. The tutorial isn’t based around any one shape - it should be as useful for getting clothing to work on the V4 shape as it is on the Mr Hyde character.

Here’s one of the promo scenes redone VERY quickly, with both M5 and V5 changed to V4, a python script included with the tut run on them, and two areas of poke-through quickly fixed before rendering, as documented in the tut.

I can’t speak for all clothing - in fact, I had to buy some clothing specifically to produce these promos (I didn’t own a bikini for Genesis). How well the clothing will work in Poser will be a combination of factors, including the clothing itself.

Cheers,

Cliff

Image Attachments
v4.png
 Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 18 June 2012 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Here’s another quick one I’ve thrown together from an existing promo - again I’ve changed V5 to V4 and run my script, but I haven’t done any extra poke-through correction before rendering even more quickly (I’m dishing supper at the same time lol)

Cheers,

Cliff

Image Attachments
v42.png
 Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 18 June 2012 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

One more question: does your tutorial deal with Generation4/Generation3 clothes on Genesis too?

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 19 June 2012 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Kerya - 18 June 2012 11:52 PM

One more question: does your tutorial deal with Generation4/Generation3 clothes on Genesis too?

Not at such, but once you’ve used the transfer tool to convert clothing from Gen4/Gen3 to Genesis you should be able to treat it just like any other Genesis conformer, and convert it back to Poser for Genesis in the same way as described in the tut.

I’ve also discovered that I’ve been falling into a similar trap as eveyone else and pushing the “extreme” that Genesis is capable of whilst underplaying (or not playing at all!) the human side - especailly kids. This is a “several seconds” render of Genesis as a kid in Poser wearing the “adult” JS pants and top. I haven’t done any poke-through correction or material settings changes that I’d normally want to look at - just loaded up Genesis, hit the “Kid” dial, applied the clothing and run my joint-fixing script.

Cheers,

Cliff

Image Attachments
kidinposer.jpg
 Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 19 June 2012 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

Thank you!
Sounds logical - conform to Genesis in DS, save as dsf? in DS, run exporter.
*still searching for pennies, but things are looking good*

Signature 

Posted: 19 June 2012 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Sounds about right. Don’t forget to post some renders here! wink

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 19 June 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  24
Joined  0

@pheonix that character looks like someone i know lol he doesn’t wear glasses though

i would enter this contest, but i can’t get cr2 exporter to work properly..i export and i can’t get poser..or more importantly carrara to read the cr2

Posted: 19 June 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

AFAIK Carrara doesn’t support weight-mapped .CR2 files. There was someone working on a weight-map conversion capability in the forums IIRC, but you now know everything about it that I do :(

However, they’ve been working on getting to support Genesis natively in Carrara - I THINK there’s a beta available that supports Genesis somewhat?

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 26 June 2012 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I’ve finally updated the first post with the official list of prizes - which (to save everyone from having to go back there, as I’m already posting) is:

1st Prize - Victoria 5 Pro Bundle and Michael 5 Pro Bundle

2nd Prize either the Victoria 5 Pro Bundle or the Michael 5 Pro Bundle

3rd Prize A DAZ Original Starter Bundle (I think they are all listed HERE but there are some extras that show up, so be sure it says “Starter Bundle” in the product title and is a DO)

ALTERNATE PRIZES

Obviously, since you’re interested in Genesis ANYWAY there’s a possibility that you already have V5, M5, or indeed both and a slew of extras… so if you already own the listed prize you will be able to swap in any DAZ Original of the same or lesser value.

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 26 June 2012 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

I wished I had the time to take part in the competition - but I never ever finish a picture in two weeks. That’s ok, at least I can use Genesis in Poser now. smile

Signature 

2 of 12