Digital Art Zone

Images included in tutorials in DAZ Wiki?
Posted: 15 June 2012 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3055
Joined  2004-10-25

I’ve been wanting to try some of the Hexagon tutorials in the DAZ Wiki, but it seems that none of the included images in the non-video tutorials can be accessed.  I believe the problem is owing to ArtZone being taken down, as that’s where the tutorials and images used to be hosted.

Anybody have any idea if they are being hosted somewhere else on the site?  I don’t mind cutting and pasting the correct link, but I have no idea if those images were moved to an accessible location, or where that location might be.

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 15 June 2012 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2315
Joined  2005-09-05
Miss B - 15 June 2012 02:46 PM

I’ve been wanting to try some of the Hexagon tutorials in the DAZ Wiki, but it seems that none of the included images in the non-video tutorials can be accessed.  I believe the problem is owing to ArtZone being taken down, as that’s where the tutorials and images used to be hosted.

Anybody have any idea if they are being hosted somewhere else on the site?  I don’t mind cutting and pasting the correct link, but I have no idea if those images were moved to an accessible location, or where that location might be.

Hi Miss B, I’m sure that I read somewhere that with forum images it could be done by changing the forums to forumsarchives. I’m not sure if that would work with artzone though…

If you want good Hexagon tutorials I would suggest trying Geekatplay. They have some great video tutorials that are very easy to follow. They were what helped me to get started with it. Were you looking for a tutorial on something specific?

Pen

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 15 June 2012 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-25

Thanks Pen, I have Geek’s tuts bookmarked.  There was just a couple of the tuts that were originally on ArtZone I’d like to try and can’t because of the missing images.  Text tutorials are fine, but if the attendant images aren’t viewable, that makes it hard to follow.

I’m used to modelling in Blender, but thought I’d try and get used to Hex since I’ve had it for years and never played in it.  The one tut I was interested in that I didn’t get a chance to try before AZ was taken down was Samanthie’s Unfold and Map—>
http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/hexagon/hexagon-misc14

As I mentioned, I’m used to Blender, and Unfolding and UV Mapping just isn’t working well for me in Hex, so I figured her tut would be of help, but of course the images aren’t viewable.

Thanks for the reply Pen.  I may PM Samanthie and see if she has the images for the tut handy, but of course there’s no guarantee.

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

Posted: 15 June 2012 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Miss B - 15 June 2012 04:48 PM

Thanks Pen, I have Geek’s tuts bookmarked.  There was just a couple of the tuts that were originally on ArtZone I’d like to try and can’t because of the missing images.  Text tutorials are fine, but if the attendant images aren’t viewable, that makes it hard to follow.

I’m used to modelling in Blender, but thought I’d try and get used to Hex since I’ve had it for years and never played in it.  The one tut I was interested in that I didn’t get a chance to try before AZ was taken down was Samanthie’s Unfold and Map—>
http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/hexagon/hexagon-misc14

As I mentioned, I’m used to Blender, and Unfolding and UV Mapping just isn’t working well for me in Hex, so I figured her tut would be of help, but of course the images aren’t viewable.

Thanks for the reply Pen.  I may PM Samanthie and see if she has the images for the tut handy, but of course there’s no guarantee.

Geekatplay have a tutorial on UV mapping and creating material zones which is easy to follow. That was how I worked it out so it may be worth a look.
Good luck with finding the images…

I picked up UVLayout at the start of the year and I know it’s expensive but following some of the basic tutorials on their site it was so much easier to use than any other program I’ve tried once you follow some of the tutorials.

cheers

Pen

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 15 June 2012 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-25

Yes, I looked at that too, but you’re right it’s a bit pricey.  I was thinking of getting UV Mapper Pro, because Classic isn’t good for much more than pulling out a template from an obj, and then you really have to know which projection to use.  I recently downloaded the UVMapper Pro demo and it has quite a bit more to choose from, so that may be the way I’ll go, but it still needs to be Unfolded in Hex, or Unwrapped in Blender, in order to get a good template, and that’s what I really want to learn how to do in Hex.  I usually do my texturing in Photoshop or Gimp (depending on which computer I’m on at the time).  You just can’t texture something that isn’t mapped well.

I did, thanks to one of Samanthie’s other tuts, figure out how to create the materials zones, so that’s something if I can just get a handle on creating the seams and such.  I’ll check out the Geek tut meanwhile and see how that goes.

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05

If you need help sing out. I’m not an expert but I can do basic uv mapping in Hex.

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 16 June 2012 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2012-04-12

Check this thread where Richard explained how to access the images:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/2168/

Posted: 16 June 2012 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-25
Russ Sprouse - 16 June 2012 08:22 AM

Check this thread where Richard explained how to access the images:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/2168/

Thanks Russ, but that’s for images in the forums.  I’m talking about images that are part of tutorials in the DAZ Wiki, not the forums.  The tutorials used to be part of the old ArtZone site, which doesn’t exist any more.  The tutorials themselves were moved to the Wiki, but the image links are still to the AZ site, and I’m not sure they moved them anywhere they can be accessed by tweaking the links.

Signature 

Posted: 16 June 2012 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7979
Joined  2006-03-19

They are working on getting those images to work. The images got moved to the new server so they are referencing the wrong area.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

Posted: 16 June 2012 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2012-04-12

Ah, OK.  I didn’t test it, but assumed it would work for the Wiki too.  Sorry about that!

~ Russ

Posted: 10 October 2013 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2013-08-28
Frank0314 - 16 June 2012 10:31 AM

They are working on getting those images to work. The images got moved to the new server so they are referencing the wrong area.

Well seems to be an abadonned project :-(

Posted: 10 October 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1384
Joined  2004-06-13

Blender has very good UV mapping tools, why look elsewhere if you are already using Blender?  Ask questions over at the Blender Artist’s forums.

http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

Posted: 10 October 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-25
jestmart - 10 October 2013 09:02 AM

Blender has very good UV mapping tools, why look elsewhere if you are already using Blender?  Ask questions over at the Blender Artist’s forums.

http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/

I agree, and do most of my UV unwrapping in Blender when I’m using it.  I had installed Hex to play with it, and since it had one or two nice features, I thought it would be a nice alternative, but UV unwrapping in Hex was a mystery to me in June 2012, when I still had it installed on my laptop.  I gave up on it quite some time ago because it was too flaky and kept crashing.

Lately I’ve been playing in Silo, where UV unwrapping was easy enough to figure out without a tutorial.  cool smirk

Signature 

Posted: 10 October 2013 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1950
Joined  2012-02-07

Greetings,

Miss B - 10 October 2013 01:12 PM

Lately I’ve been playing in Silo, where UV unwrapping was easy enough to figure out without a tutorial.  cool smirk

I’m still kicking myself…HARD…for not picking up Silo from the Steam sale. :(

— Morgan

Signature 

Want wishlist discount notifications, better wishlist sorting, or to see ALL current discounts? http://3dwishlist.com/demo

Look at my deviantArt Gallery, give me feedback and feel free to follow!

This Firefox GreaseMonkey/Chrome Extension tweaks the wishlist and the product pages, adding cool new features to both and cleaning up small UI issues.