Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
How to use the 7 Point Light Setup when you have 2 or more characters
Posted: 11 May 2013 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22

Tip Create Scene in DS3 with LDP2 note down the SIZE of the Dome. Point DS4 to that content folder and load the saved Scene. The dome loads at default size Scale back up to noted size. Finish scene and render. This worked in DS4.5.1.56, I have not tried it in the new Beta’s.

EDIT: I only use LDP2 not LDP, by the way. So I edited the post.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 11 May 2013 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  801
Joined  2006-05-26

Wancow,
Looks like the renders are going to take longer than I expected. I had forgotten how long this render takes. The first one should be done in a few more hours, then I’ll start the next one. When I’ve got them both I will upload them so we can continue our discussion. Thanks for your patience, see ya soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 11 May 2013 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2003-10-09

Here’s nine figures in one render (sorry it doesn’t have ten).

Image Attachments
Troopers.jpg

Posted: 11 May 2013 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26
Greycat - 11 May 2013 12:52 PM

Here’s nine figures in one render (sorry it doesn’t have ten).

I have two questions GreyCat. First, is this illuminated with the 7 Point Light or some other means? The second question is are you open to criticism about the lighting? I ask only to be certain we are all on the same page in that images submitted are likely to be commented upon with praises and or demerits. The purpose being to get to the best lighting possible under these more complex conditions. My suspicion is that this current render is not with the 7 Point Light but some other means. But I could well be wrong so please let me know.

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2013 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Here’s the lighting setup. Note the light ball, all distant lights and no spotlights.

Image Attachments
Trooper_Lite_Ball.jpg

Posted: 11 May 2013 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

I am not interested in praise or critique. My point is that ten figures can be lit well and rendered in one scene. It requires the use of distant lights not spotlights. galactica1981 I hope this helps you in what you’re trying to do. Take the advise of self appointed “ lighting master” with a gain of salt.

Posted: 11 May 2013 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  751
Joined  2012-07-13

I wish they would update their products, as I would love to be able to use Motion Master for DAZ 4.5.

Can anyone create a render with two or three characters as a possible lighting tutorial for me and anyone else who might be interested in this? It would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: 11 May 2013 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26

Edit.

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2013 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

I’d write a long reply, but I actually have a life. “Lighting master” didn’t refer to you (see first post) get over yourself. Why don’t you post a render so I can write a long post flaming your work. Know-it-all jerks like you are the reason I don’t post that often.

Grey cat out

Posted: 11 May 2013 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26
Greycat - 11 May 2013 05:36 PM

I’d write a long reply, but I actually have a life. “Lighting master” didn’t refer to you (see first post) get over yourself. Why don’t you post a render so I can write a long post flaming your work. Know-it-all jerks like you are the reason I don’t post that often.

Grey cat out

My bad then, I apologize, I am a jerk! I misunderstood your point just as maybe you misunderstood mine when I asked about whether you were open to criticism at all. This is a discussion after-all. The tone of your post was very dismissive. Since the first part of that post was in response to me I assumed the later bit was as well. If I somehow misunderstood you then I will gladly apologize.

And in fairness, I would love your feedback on any render of mine. I already provided a link to a recent work but if you want more here’s a few.

All I ever want is to get better. To get better requires criticism and challenging of old ways of thinking.

I will edit my last post, as I’d typically not go down such a route but I felt I was being attacked for no reason. Please do accept my apologies. Hopefully we can put this behind us.

As stated in a previous post…..Below is an example of a recent lighting study I’ve conducted in Bryce. The challenge, was to create a scenario where the scene is lit almost exclusively with indirect lighting. No tricks, no gimmick, just straight lighting. The room has six sides but light can only enter from one side. My study was to manually bounce the available light in a plausible way and to capture the scene backlit. It is all calculated by the eye, so it is far from accurate. My only hope is that it is generally plausible. 

The model is by Jack Tomalin called Deco. Sent from DS to Bryce 7.1 via the bridge. The room started off completely black.

Wancow is of the opinion that after I add a few characters I will wish for more light. I am inclined to disagree, but I cant be sure until I test it out which is what I have cooking at home right now. Soon I will have two more renders with a character to compare. What will turn out to be better? Who knows? For me it is all about making sure the whole thing makes logical sense so any lights I add to my scene are necessary. I’m not going to use all sorts of wizardry on a human and forget everything else.

Could this render be better? Yes, absolutely. But it would probably require more sophisticated tools such as full GI or an unbiased renderer, both options I turned down purposefully for the sake of training myself to think about light in logical ways.

The other two renders are of an outdoor scenario called the Volcanic Archipelago. I have developed a light system not so different than Dreamlight has done, but my rig is for Bryce. It is called EGDLS (EarthGlow Dome Light Strategy). It makes difficult and complex scenes easy to illuminate and cover all of the bases with decent render times. DreamLight and I are more alike than different

Feedback positive or negative, is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time

Image Attachments
Deco_Interior_Scene_White.jpgAA_56_D_1.jpgAA_56_D_3.jpgAA_56_D_4.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 12 May 2013 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8022
Joined  2012-09-10

Beautiful, Rashad!  smile
I enjoy your posts, and your opinions.
I have only done two renders, and although I have that lighting series, I decided to do my own as placement of spotlights, linear point lights, etc are adjusted depending on where I want the focus. I thought I would use the 3 point, 7 point as a starting point, but I don’t even do that.
Everyone doing lighting differently is what makes renders interesting- and I really like your style, very crisp and inviting.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #5   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 12 May 2013 03:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17049
Joined  2003-10-09

Please do remember bullet point #2 in the Forum TOS.. Criticism should be directed towards the subject or topic at hand, rather than an individual.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 12 May 2013 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-07-13

In the picture with the Deco set, you said you have the light simply entering the window and you have it bounce a number of times, correct? That sounds a lot like Radiosity. There is a video on that in the Light Master course, but I haven’t watched it yet. I plan to do that soon, though.

Posted: 12 May 2013 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-07-13

Here is a picture I just did. It is a 1950’s version of Buffy The Vampire Slayer! In this picture, I focused all the main lights (Key, Fill, Back) around Buffy. There are no lights focused on the vampire attacking her, and yet the vampire still came out looking pretty good. Perhaps in a scene with two people, it’s best to still focus the lighting on just one character first and see how well it turns out. If it’s not enough, you can always add more lights.

Image Attachments
1950s_Buffy_sample.jpg

Posted: 12 May 2013 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26
galactica1981 - 12 May 2013 06:00 AM

Here is a picture I just did. It is a 1950’s version of Buffy The Vampire Slayer! In this picture, I focused all the main lights (Key, Fill, Back) around Buffy. There are no lights focused on the vampire attacking her, and yet the vampire still came out looking pretty good. Perhaps in a scene with two people, it’s best to still focus the lighting on just one character first and see how well it turns out. If it’s not enough, you can always add more lights.

Yes, I think you are getting the idea. Play around with it. Never be afraid to add a light or two if you need it.

The render is fun and light, not broodish in mood so I think the current lighting maintains the lightheartedness you desire. If you had wanted a darker more sinister depiction, you’d have to do a few things differently.

One question I do have is about the hallway itself. Does the set come with any lights? Are there any overhead lights within the environment? Are there any windows?

I don’t have that much experience rendering in DS, Bryce is my primary rendering tool. If I was more familiar with all the tricks in DS I’d gladly step by step the whole process for you. I’d say trust your instincts, you cannot go wrong.

Signature 

2 of 3