Problems with certain content/corrupt database
Long story short, I reinstalled all my daz content last week, and have taken several days to categorize content properly.
I have noticed new content is having problems displaying in the product view after installation with dim. I suspect the database may be corrupt since it works ok on another machine.
How exactly do I back up my categories so that I can reset the databse without losing all the content that I've laboriously categorized. I admit I am somewhat disappointed the content is already having this problem since I just did a clean install last week.
I've tried deleteing, reinstalling the content, but all it does is make an empty folder in the product view.