Digital Art Zone

6 of 7
Best Practice for Exporting Carrara Files to Poser? Poser 2014 equals the Death of Carrara?
Posted: 13 May 2013 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1388
Joined  2011-01-03
3DAGE - 13 May 2013 11:40 AM

It’s not Competition,. between SM and DAZ.

As usual, you make great points Andy. It kind of is competition now…it wasn’t in the earliest days…

3DAGE - 13 May 2013 11:40 AM

That strategic move means that Daz content sales are no longer reliant on Poser software, or posers owners.

The format of the runtime folders is still very much reliant on Poser. A truly strategic (and competitive) move would have dumped Poser entirely and made Carrara consume a custom (hopefully improved) type of content. Of course, history didn’t play out this way so this is purely speculative.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 13 May 2013 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5523
Joined  2006-08-27

If you find DAZ Studio limiting, you’ll find Poser limiting for many of the same reasons. There are some features that would be nice to have, but in my opinion, the person that flatly says, I can only use Poser (or DAZ, or Carrara for that matter) is limiting themselves. If someone wants to add it to their toolbox, then more power to ‘em.

With my older system and currently limited financial resources it’s not something I will buy. If I had an influx of cash that was above and beyond my needs I would blow it on updating or replacing my system, then if there was anything left over, I would update Carrara. Anything else would have to wait.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 13 May 2013 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6171
Joined  2007-12-04
Garstor - 13 May 2013 05:55 PM
Dartanbeck - 13 May 2013 05:08 AM

Carrara definitely stands a chance of loosing me to Poser.

Dartanbeck - 13 May 2013 05:08 AM

If Carrara falls because of this, it will be Daz3d’s fault, and I’ll be very angry indeed.

big surprise {blink} {blink} shock

Truly the end of the world is nigh!

Alright, I trimmed a lot of context away from poor Dart. I know he has not been feeling well lately too - this could be fever delerium. wink

I have made this case too from the pro-Carrara camp. DAZ is doing a massive disservice to its software products with its laughable marketing. It is a sad thing to witness.

Should I be looking at adding Poser to my arsenal?

Perhaps… but only because Poser is cool. Start with the lesser expensive version to get your feet wet and get to know your way around. Then, If you like it and think that the Pro parts would be something of interest… you can dig a much deeper hole into your wallet.

As for my lack of sanity, that was kind of the norm of late - especially this morning. I passed out cold three time this weekend - and the doctors say that constant pain causes the brain to start releasing various chemicals - they use terms I don’t know… so that is what they said after I told them that I only speek english.

Poor Rosie has been in overtime trying to keep me comfortable - and explaining to folks that I’m normally a sweety - not a snarling grump.

I still feel really strange upstairs in the brain pan, but not strange enough to envision Poser ever causing the collapse of Carrara! lol Where was I? I was also a total ass this mornng to Gars and EP, and I hope that they can shed that. They know me better than that.

I’m thinking that I may be even more absent until this passes. So if I’m not responding, it’s just because I may not have seen it. I usually cannot ‘not’ respond. It;s a weekness I have- which is why many people will be overjoyed at my being missing for a bit! smile

If, for some wierd reason, those were mini strokes, and one hits me hard enough where I cannot return, please know that I’ll be a major fan of Daz3d and their software forever!

Rock On Carraraists! I Love You All
Dartanbeck

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 13 May 2013 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2008-01-28

oh that’s reallybad news Dart :(
as far as you not turning up for work at Carrara forum, it’sno excuse!
as long as you can reach the keyboard we expect you here. wink

stay well, hope you feel better soon.!

as far as poser?
it really should inco-oporate a modeller like pegasus - simple and clean.
as far as $? it’s not the $ but the time invested that is the more valuable currency

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 13 May 2013 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Dartanbeck - 13 May 2013 06:26 PM

I still feel really strange upstairs in the brain pan, but not strange enough to envision Poser ever causing the collapse of Carrara! lol Where was I? I was also a total ass this mornng to Gars and EP, and I hope that they can shed that. They know me better than that.

I’m thinking that I may be even more absent until this passes. So if I’m not responding, it’s just because I may not have seen it. I usually cannot ‘not’ respond. It;s a weekness I have- which is why many people will be overjoyed at my being missing for a bit! smile

If, for some wierd reason, those were mini strokes, and one hits me hard enough where I cannot return, please know that I’ll be a major fan of Daz3d and their software forever!

Dartanbeck

No worries Sir Dart. Sir Garstor and I have locked horns with a worse ass than you- if you catch my not-so-subtle-drift! wink

Take time to heal!

Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2013 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1388
Joined  2011-01-03
evilproducer - 13 May 2013 06:49 PM

No worries Sir Dart. Sir Garstor and I have locked horns with a worse ass than you- if you catch my not-so-subtle-drift! wink

Take time to heal!

ROFL! That pretty much covers my reply too!

Rest up Dart. Your best renders are still ahead of you.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 13 May 2013 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6171
Joined  2007-12-04
Garstor - 13 May 2013 06:54 PM

Take time to heal!

ROFL! That pretty much covers my reply too!

Rest up Dart. Your best renders are still ahead of you.

Dartanbeck - 13 May 2013 06:26 PM

Dartanbeck

Take time to heal!

head wax - 13 May 2013 06:44 PM

oh that’s reallybad news Dart :(
as far as you not turning up for work at Carrara forum, it’sno excuse!
as long as you can reach the keyboard we expect you here. wink

stay well, hope you feel better soon.!

as far as poser?
it really should inco-oporate a modeller like pegasus - simple and clean.
as far as $? it’s not the $ but the time invested that is the more valuable currency

Thanks guys.
You know,
It wasn’t until fairly recently that I found out how great of artists you are.
It makes me always want to take your advice, especially after seeing your grand masterpiece examples.

I shouldn’t single you guys out like that. Everybody here makes art that moves me. Like music, I like so many styles that it’s hard to find something I don’t like - style wise. There are all kinds of things that people try to pass off as art that drive me to make huge attempts to pretend I’ve never seen it. Yikes. But we have some real talent amonst the folks that type in these threads.

If anyone reading this have not checked out what these fellows come up with - you should seek some out. It’s great stuff!
And you guys should check out everybody else’ stuff too!

Poser Pro 2014 doesn’t have a modeler? I need a modeler, and I need it placed conveniently within my animation softy. Even if models are made elsewhere, Carrara is so unique in that it included a very functional vertex modeler, which makes it (so far) impossible to beat for an animation house for me. Solomon, from our animation forum, which I (unfortunately) only visit on occassion, uses that new top of the line version of 3DS Max, which has its own version of content use and vast animation features that bloweth the already frazzled mind!

Go to Autodesk and check out the price of the highest priced 3DS Max. That is what Carrara currently has for somewhat of a competition. But i don’t think that hey have any of the sweet presets to learn from or all of the cool tools like the plant modeler, terrain modeller, etc., and we’re talking adding a zero to the end of Carrara and then adding a few more grand.

On that note, before a capable 3DS artist thinks I’m dissing it… I’m not. But cop this position once:

I am a guy who works hard for a living and also want to create great 3d animation art. But even if I don’t want to animate and just want the art, the same example applies.
With Carrara, I can buy from an amazing lot of great content made by some of the best 3d artists in the world currently. Right now, we can even step back a few years and get the current hot items offered then. Nearly any of the Poser style content works in Daz3d - especially the Poser stuff made or sold through Daz3d. They say that the newer Poser stuf won’t be compatible with Carrara. That doesn’t bother me, since, if I owned Poser, the first thing I’d do is replace the people with Daz people anyways. I don’t mean to be disrespectful - just my tastes - I don’t think they’ve beat the gen 3 Daz figures yet- personal opinion.

Carrara also gives me the ability to

Make my own morphs easily within a real modeler

Make shaders that I consider vastly superior

Make my own surrounding environments - complete with automated animated atmospheric conditions - time of day options, etc.,

Make my own custom plants from deadwood to vine to majestic trees to trees that are fighting for life - near their end.

Make aniamted fire
      animated water
      animated fog and clouds

Create nearly any effect using a powerful particles system

Model my own models - complete with morphs and animated parts and killer shaders

Create nearly everything I need for my animations nearly entirely within Carrara
I can composite one Carrara animation over another with the powerful and easy to use background (360 degree spherical image wrap) system - and I have the proper camera for making suck backgrounds included as a simple preset.

I can add animated renders tonearly any aspect of anything within the scene.

I am not listing many more of the great feature that Carrara has because my point really is that I have all of this at my fingrtips while having the availability of content as a simple load - no plugins needed. I’m really proud of what I’ve achieved so far. And I wouldn’t be nearly as far as I am without Carrara Pro.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 13 May 2013 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Don’t sell yourself short in the art dept either Dart! You’ve done some really cool things as well.

I don’t know if I’m the only one, but I go over to the Carrara Cafe when I have time and check out the galleries. Sometimes I try and comment, but it’s a bit flaky for me, so I usually just look and lurk.

I really miss the monthly galleries at DAZ. Not because of the possibility of winning a gift certificate, but just because of the great stuff and hidden gems you’d run across in them.

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2013 03:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2008-11-03

Hi all of you, I have read this discussion with great interest.
Carrara to me is like a very capable machine, with somewhat awkward and difficult to handle controls. It was the user interface that stopped me. I looked at Autodesk 3ds Max and Maya & co, but ended up with C4D because of 1) The 100% customizable user interface (I wrote 100% not 99%) and 2) Its versatility. It is not the best modeler, not the best sculpter, not the best animator, probably not the best renderer, but it is rock solid (has not crashed 1 time the last 13 months) and first and foremost it is very logic. I understand it, so to say.

Can you make this animation in Poser? I made this in Carrara 2 years ago. Still you will notice small quirks that were impossible to get rid of. I could spend hours fiddling with a hand position or adjusting an arm pointing in the wrong direction, only to discover that when that had been fixed, something else had been misaligned.
So - with my current knowledge, I might do much better in Carrara, because I have learnt much more in the mean time. But now it is C4D.

Ok , here it is:
My first real animation in Carrara

-Ingvar

Posted: 14 May 2013 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2004-08-26

Neat animation. The main thing that was “off” to me were the facial expressions, but really not bad at all!

C4D is high end professional-grade software, so if you have that, there isn’t much reason to bother with Carrara. And as far as I know, Carrara isn’t as well integrated with C4D as Poser is (there is a PoserFusion Plug-in for Cinema4D).

As far as whether you can do the animation in Poser, yes, and you could do it in Carrara as well. There’s plenty of Youtube vids showing off the potential of either program. But C4D is in a totally different class.

Posted: 14 May 2013 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  529
Joined  2004-11-12
evilproducer - 13 May 2013 08:21 PM

I really miss the monthly galleries at DAZ. Not because of the possibility of winning a gift certificate, but just because of the great stuff and hidden gems you’d run across in them.

Yes, I miss them as well, they were a great showcase for what could be done in Carrara, and the other DAZ products as well. In MVHO, the vouchers given for the winning artist were the cheapest advertising DAZ has ever had. Anyone looking at some of the outstanding work there could see what could be done with their software and their content.

For me, they were also a great source for ideas, inspiration, and a way to see how great some of the DAZ/PA content was. Often, the promotional images simply didn’t do a product justice. I actually made several purchases of items I’d passed on, because a monthly gallery image showed it off much better than the promotional images did. It was also a great way to see what was being done in DS, Bryce, and Poser while asking myself “Hmmm, I wonder how you could do that in C?”.

The possibility of getting a voucher also gave me that little extra push I needed to actually try to produce at least one final render a month. I also usually spent more of my own money when I got a voucher than when I didn’t, because then I could get one of the more expensive PA items that I otherwise couldn’t afford, and get the extras I needed to go with it.

I always thought the monthly galleries were one of the most brilliant marketing and advertising ideas that DAZ ever had. There were many artists that posted images to the galleries that seldom, or never, participate in the forums.

Signature 

My Rendo Gallery

Posted: 14 May 2013 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-03

Have you seen this? Made in Carrara. It is fantastic smile
I have to watch it now and then, when I need a good laugh and want to admire someone who really knows how to do it.

Mars Spingtime

-Ingvar

Posted: 14 May 2013 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2003-12-07
wendy♥catz - 08 May 2013 07:28 PM

just get both!

LOL thats funny Wendy. I need look no farther down the line then this post. That is my answer also. I have other software also but how is that Iclone treating you these days?

Posted: 16 May 2013 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7732
Joined  2009-07-13

I feel like I whoring wife cheating on her loving husband for quick thrills
have been using iClone quite at lot lately!
still give Carrara a bit of duty sex now and again!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 16 May 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-03

I have a threesome with Daz Studio and C4D nowadays. I lived with Carrara for 5 years. And she understands, I had to move on. I also had a short, very short relationship with modo. But I sold her..
Actually, being a bachelor is the best, you don’t have to fight bad conscience..

-Ingvar

6 of 7