Digital Art Zone

2 of 7
Best Practice for Exporting Carrara Files to Poser? Poser 2014 equals the Death of Carrara?
Posted: 08 May 2013 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1953
Joined  2008-01-28

Good idea Dart.

Yes I render everything at 12 inches minimum side at 300 dpi.

I’ve applied my renders to a vertex plane in the past to use as a backdrop but Carrara always seems to reduce their sharpness/contrast as far as I can see.?

Is this what you mean by compositing in Car?

I’m not sure I can see the advantage of doing this in Carrara as opposed to doing it in Photoshop?
Maybe I am missing something smile
wouldn’t be the first time!

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 08 May 2013 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5975
Joined  2007-12-04

Oh… Head Wax,
I know that I just recently mentioned to you that I really enjoy your artwork. Well I’m sorry but I have to say it again because of some of your recent posts… Head Wax, man.. I really dig your work! You capture amazing emotion with your tones and shape flows. The arrangements are original and complex- even when they appear simple. I can really see why Philip Staigerman was so excited when he met you. We’ll have to Howl and Waffle and submit some cool stufffor them to post in their DotM galleries. The journey of completion will be fun with our wacoms and waffles of canine origin.

Oh… and with the post above, I also enjoy going directly between Dogwaffleand Carrara, compositing with both, back and forth. Use Carrara for atmospheres, fog and other effects, especially for working with 3d objects and scenes. Then use Dogwaffle for painting and applying FX. Remember. Use the brush. When in doubt, store you current brush to a popup, then make a new one with whatever you want to add, and stamp it down or paint with it - to create the look that you want. The above, where I mention smearing… Bristle brushes use particles system to smear with. Very cool. I’m still new to Dogwaffle (and Carrara) too… so I need to keep watch the Daily Dose and glean what I can from it! smile

No… really…
Great artwork, Sir. Fantabulistically kick freaking ankle!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 08 May 2013 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
head wax - 08 May 2013 09:43 PM

Good idea Dart.

I’ve applied my renders to a vertex plane in the past to use as a backdrop but Carrara always seems to reduce their sharpness/contrast as far as I can see.?

I’m not sure I can see the advantage of doing this in Carrara as opposed to doing it in Photoshop?

For the backdrop, Instead of vertex, use scene settings - unless you wanted to apply a glow or something. With an image in the Backdrop of the scene settings, you’re free to use the background channel (again, scene settings)  to create a bi gradient for global illumination purposes ([url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vjOLvhAQDM]watch Cripeman’s Global Illumination video for how cool this works)

Yeah this is more of: Yet another way to get different and aamazing results for new images - not to replace what you do in Photoshop, but add to it.
Shoot a render, jam out the values to correct them in PS, bring it into Dogwaffle and paint on it - back into Carrara to cast shadows onto it… perhaps some fog. Nah… let’s wait and tweak it in PS first - then add fog using a volumetric cloud with one of Tim Paynes skies for ambiance the sunlight right from Tim’s setting, but blast in a fewof my own, and set the clouds to be affected by all of the lights. Now I’ll paint an accurate selection in Dogwaffle, and using the AnyFX plugin, make it rain several layers under and behind the cloud, then two or three more suble rain FX in front. Hmmm. Maybe I’ll jam out a perspective in Dogwafflenow and make the whole thing a carving I etched into steel. No… bronze. Yeah… that’s better. Now I’m going to composte this photo of my lunch tomato that went splat on the ground, so that it’s fallen onto this sculpture and broke open. Junk. Undo that. I better save this before I change it any more. I don’t know… you got any ideas wherre we go from here? Use it as a height map? Great Idea HW! Why didn’t I think of that?!!!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 08 May 2013 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1953
Joined  2008-01-28

Oh… Head Wax,
I know that I just recently mentioned to you that I really enjoy your artwork. Well I’m sorry but I have to say it again because of some of your recent posts… Head Wax, man.. I really dig your work! You capture amazing emotion with your tones and shape flows

Thank you muchly. Flattery is contagious smile

Ah yes great to see you are excited! image making is what I love. it makes me feel like a didn’t waste that particular day of my life.
Mind you this morning I spent a few hours running old renders through PS elements 10’s inbuilt filters and combiing them with different parameters ad infinitum - and came up with nothing I liked.

I’ll check out cripeman’s tut. Thanks for that link.

And I’ll check out the anyfx plugin.

and play with the background images etc.!

Here’s one for you tut on “find edges” halfway down this page. It could be used with dogwaffler. http://www.gertrudisgraphics.com/tutorials.

To “Find” your edges again after losing them with a oiled up brush or similar.

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 09 May 2013 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

Poser causing the demise of carrara is like the Edsel causing the demise of the Corvette.
Poser is for figures, carrara is for everything.

For cell shaded toon style it’s hard to beat YAtoon. If you can find it. Not sure where it is being hosted right now.

In order for Poser to be competition for carrara you would have to add Vue and wings3d to it. Maybe even iclone.

Head wax. Spend some time using the plant generator. Also check DAZ’s realistic leaves for the plant generator. Howie can’t do any more with it then you can, he just knows how to. wink

None the less, for the cost, I’d spend the money on animate 2 and the clothing control plugin for Studio before I spent it on Poser. I’d rather expand the tools I have then add another to learn to use.

Posted: 09 May 2013 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
head wax - 08 May 2013 09:43 PM

Good idea Dart.

Yes, I agree. It is not a 1-1 pixel copy no matter how carefully you try to construct the scene. It’s easy to spot the difference even without zooming in on pixels though. Always better off compositing in post unfortunately….

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 09 May 2013 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7291
Joined  2009-07-13

you can always stick your image in the backdrop to set up and render your scene,
then render with alpha so you can add it as a crisp sharp layer afterwards (in Gimp in my case) or in Photo$hop.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 09 May 2013 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  476
Joined  2003-10-09
ManStan - 09 May 2013 06:15 AM

Head wax. Spend some time using the plant generator. Also check DAZ’s realistic leaves for the plant generator. Howie can’t do any more with it then you can, he just knows how to. wink

I gotta agree with Stan on this. And it’s another illustration of how if we had better presets, there wouldn’t be all this angst from folks who can’t figure things out. Howie took the time to figure out how to take it to another level. That means it can be done. I have a feeling that the same applies to many of the other presets. I think more heavy experimenting should always be the advice given unless someone truly has hit the wall, or until we get better presets that don’t leave the impression that Carrara’s version of doing things is not up to par. Too often, that’s the wrong impression. Then someone spends some money for something else to only learn they could’ve done it in Carrara if the presets were better or if they really took the time to figure it out.

Posted: 09 May 2013 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2012-05-25
evilproducer - 08 May 2013 06:34 PM

Sorry Headwax. I think that Carrara is alive and kicking.

yeah it’s the same alive like hex and bryce.

no against the new PoserP2014 carrara = dying.
from my personal opinion, daz don’t have the developing time anymore to keep 2 big programs up against other software in 3d world.
you have to be blind to see that.

and carrara against Blender today, oh boy do i need to spread anymore words?

Signature 

Very Happy that i save $$$ for products that have no manual and invest this in the great lux modo :p

Posted: 09 May 2013 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4958
Joined  2006-08-27
Kevin Sanderson - 09 May 2013 11:54 AM

I gotta agree with Stan on this. And it’s another illustration of how if we had better presets, there wouldn’t be all this angst from folks who can’t figure things out. Howie took the time to figure out how to take it to another level. That means it can be done. I have a feeling that the same applies to many of the other presets. I think more heavy experimenting should always be the advice given unless someone truly has hit the wall, or until we get better presets that don’t leave the impression that Carrara’s version of doing things is not up to par. Too often, that’s the wrong impression. Then someone spends some money for something else to only learn they could’ve done it in Carrara if the presets were better or if they really took the time to figure it out.

It’s not entirely the presets fault. You have to have an idea of what you want to do, and the patience to do it. I wanted to make a weeping willow tree. I looked at the willow preset and fiddled with it and could get close to what I wanted, but not quite. So I tried the Burr Oak preset (which looks great BTW, if you swap in a better texture of the trunk) and was able to get the shape I wanted. It was then fairly simple to swap the oak leaves for willow leaves.

Image Attachments
Fantasy_Camp.jpg
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 09 May 2013 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2004-12-01

I watched the video.  There is nothing new there that Carrara doesnt have or has access to.  Plus it still poser you cant make model changes or add objects without 3rd party software.  Plus, what model will it use V4.  Seems like a waist to me.

Posted: 09 May 2013 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  476
Joined  2003-10-09
evilproducer - 09 May 2013 12:33 PM
Kevin Sanderson - 09 May 2013 11:54 AM

It’s not entirely the presets fault. You have to have an idea of what you want to do, and the patience to do it. I wanted to make a weeping willow tree. I looked at the willow preset and fiddled with it and could get close to what I wanted, but not quite. So I tried the Burr Oak preset (which looks great BTW, if you swap in a better texture of the trunk) and was able to get the shape I wanted. It was then fairly simple to swap the oak leaves for willow leaves.

True, it’s not entirely the presets fault… I often fault lazy users more. But better presets would stop some of the lesser experienced or lazy users from spouting the nonsense they often do and the posts that say Carrara can’t do this or adequately do that. When you do a search trying to find what Carrara can or can’t do or how to do it in Google, nonsense and wrong information comes up way too often. It takes a long time to find out what’s right or wrong. Even experienced users have posted nonsense in some posts I dug through recently. I just shake my head.

edit: Nice Pic, Evil!!

Posted: 09 May 2013 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  199
Joined  2003-10-09

I was more than excited with the new PP 2014’s new features and I plan on upgrading, but it only adds another dimension to my work flow.  I think that the DS-Carrara-Poser is a good three-some and continue to use all three!  Just my 2 cents worth. smile

Posted: 09 May 2013 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
head wax - 08 May 2013 10:53 PM

Oh… Head Wax,
I know that I just recently mentioned to you that I really enjoy your artwork. Well I’m sorry but I have to say it again because of some of your recent posts… Head Wax, man.. I really dig your work! You capture amazing emotion with your tones and shape flows

Thank you muchly. Flattery is contagious smile

Ah yes great to see you are excited! image making is what I love. it makes me feel like a didn’t waste that particular day of my life.
Mind you this morning I spent a few hours running old renders through PS elements 10’s inbuilt filters and combiing them with different parameters ad infinitum - and came up with nothing I liked.

I’ll check out cripeman’s tut. Thanks for that link.

And I’ll check out the anyfx plugin.

and play with the background images etc.!

Here’s one for you tut on “find edges” halfway down this page. It could be used with dogwaffler. http://www.gertrudisgraphics.com/tutorials.

To “Find” your edges again after losing them with a oiled up brush or similar.

Wow. Thanks!
AnyFX is illustrated a small bit in the Dogwaffle videos. But when you start to dig into what else it does is where you start to find the magic. It is a digital grading filter pack with many types of grading from colors and their hues to blurs and sharpens, various ways to change where in the picture the effects do what… hard to explain but much easier to see and get used to once you start playing with it.

I saw an Adobe Elements combo pack - PS and Premier. It was really cheap - what exactly is “Elements”?

As for you art… yeah… I speak the truth

Signature 

Posted: 09 May 2013 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1100
Joined  2010-11-30

Obj is what I’ll export as into Poser in most cases.

My copy Poser Pro 2010 & Poser Pro 2012 both do one thing that Carrara doesn’t do and I’m very glad that Carrara doesn’t do and that is crash very often.  I got sick of using 2010 and almost never use it and my 2012 I think I’ve only used about 6 times because of the crashing.

I also don’t like working with Poser’s lights.  I can light a scene 10 times quicker in Daz Studio and about 5-8 times quicker in Carrara.

Poser does have some things built into it that you need to have a separate plugin for Carrara to do, that I would like to see Carrara be able to do.

Smith Micro I think tends to sell Poser as more of a plugin for other 3D apps.  Smith Micro actually was giving Poser Pro 2012 away with Lightwave last year for example.

I’ll most likely end up buying Poser just because Smith Micro is making the program integrate even more closely with the other software they make and it will be easier to bring something into Poser first before bringing it into one of the other program.  Poser has for me just become a plugin for other programs I use.

The next big release Smith Micro has planned this year is Manga Studio 5 EX.  They totally rewrote all the code I understand and I think they are planning release to go with the Comic Con in California.

I’ve used Hex and found it to not like my computer that much.  A few things like the ability to create 3D text doesn’t work right on my system.

For NPR with Carrara the Parchment plugin is another good plugin to use I’ve found.

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=9

The free sand plugin might be worth checking out too.

One thing I have noticed is that very little exists in the way of English tutorials on doing NPR renders in Carrara, most of the sites I saw that had any info on doing this were in Japanese.  The few English tutorials just covered very basic explanation of doing a NPR.  So maybe what is needed is some good tutorials on NPR and more tutorials on using plugins like Parchment, YAToon,

(Right now I’m trying to translate and go through a Tooning tutorial I found for Carrara on a Japanese site that covered a lot of stuff.)

ManStan,
YAToon is at the Carrara Cafe all the version of it that were made of it can be downloaded.  I definitely agree with your post on Carrara & Poser.

2 of 7