Carrara v8.5.0.149 (PC/Mac) Beta Update
Posted: 27 June 2012 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2847
Joined  0
3DAGE - 26 June 2012 01:09 PM

Hi Woolyloach smile

There’s a Link to the bug tracker in the text on Page One.

Bug Tracker

Thanks! I must have been low on coffee… red face

Signature 

My bloggity blog: http://the-serpents-fang.blogspot.com/
My Red Room Authors Page: http://redroom.com/member/edward-averill

Posted: 27 June 2012 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

no problem Woolyloach,.
Glad to help smile

Posted: 27 June 2012 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2011-05-27

Any experience yet on how 8.5 and Genesis plays with IPI mocap yet?
Should we expect it to behave normally, or have there been issues?

Posted: 27 June 2012 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1346
Joined  2008-01-01

OK I’ve asked this on the Studio forum but got ignored amidst the flurry of technical issues, so I’ll ask here

What is the size of the RC2 download and how much longer will it be valid before being replaced?  Does the .duf format work for exporting Optitex sims to Carrara?

I ask because the last DS4 was close to 1 Gig, most of which was useless to me, so I need to judge whether it is worthwhile to use up my bandwidth allowance.

Posted: 28 June 2012 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

HI djmulcahy smile

While I don’t use IPI mocap, I do use BVH from endorphin, and BVH works on Genesis as long as you’re using the genesis bone rig to create the motion. as with all BVH it’s name specific. and Genesis has more bones than V4/.M4 or other poser type figures.

You can also use DS to load the BVH and transfer through Animate2 to genesis, but that transfer needs some adjustment work.

Posted: 28 June 2012 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Roygee smile

Daz Studio is around 460mb depending on the system and version.
No idea when the next RC will be released.

Posted: 28 June 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1346
Joined  2008-01-01

Hi 3dage

Thanks for that - so it’s gone back to what it was size-wise.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that .duf can’t yet transfer dynamic clothing to Carrara, so I guess I’ll sit this one out.

Cheers

Posted: 29 June 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7529
Joined  2009-07-13

I found two big issues for me with this latest beta
non-Genesis clothes does not autofit to Genesis with morphs and softselect does not work on them in the vertex room (my usual workaround to fit clothes)

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 01 July 2012 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2005-04-01

would it be too much to ask for a manual for 8.5? Makes it easier for my students to pick Carrara.

Posted: 02 July 2012 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07
cosmos1138 - 01 July 2012 09:55 PM

would it be too much to ask for a manual for 8.5? Makes it easier for my students to pick Carrara.

Apparently it is far too much to ask of DAZ. 3dage is about as close as you will get to a users manual for carrara.

So far my experience with daz dynamic clothing and DUF to carrara has been lock up, crash, or screwed up. Textures lost, clothes in pose but figure not.

Over a fricken year now and we still don’t have studio and carrara working together again. If DAZ can ever get this freaking working again I might, MIGHT, resubscribe to the P club and shop here again. But as it stands I have given up on DAZ.

And there I was ready to buy animate 2 and some dynamic clothing. This has all been on hold for me since DAZ broke this.

Posted: 02 July 2012 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  271
Joined  2007-08-26

I was about to totally loose confidence with DAZ and Carrara for a while, what with the number of Carrara 8.5 betas and the length of time it takes to get to a production version. But now realize that it is an immense task to overhaul Carrara form almost top to bottom with the introduction of Genesis. And the latest beta, for me,  is almost up to par. Just a few tweaks here and there. So my confidence in Daz and Carrara is restored. Yeah!

Posted: 03 July 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-06-17

I was trying out the Howie Farkes Stony creek scene in 8.5 Build 149 and it is SOOO slow.

I loaded it in Carara 8.1 and it is slow there, but not crawling. 

I haven’t installed 4.5 with DS yet.  Could that be part of the problem?

I haven’t used DS or Carrara in a while now because of all these constant Beta updates.  I’m not sure whether to update to the DS beta or not.

Is there any word when these are leaving beta?  I want the plug ins for DS before I upgrade.  But if Carrara 8.5 runs faster with DS 4.5 maybe I will have to do without them.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Gallery http://namrettek.deviantart.com/

Posted: 03 July 2012 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2005-01-26

I have officially lost my patience with Daz today. At this point, I don’t care when 8.5 comes out, because I am fed up with the increasingly high pressure sales tactics (limited coupon replacing vouchers, no sale expiration dates), the broken website, but most especially the perpetually incomplete development cycle of Carrara. I guess it’s just time for me to start saving the money I’ve been wasting here, and move on to Maya.

Posted: 03 July 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1852
Joined  2006-02-17
Qamarnahaar - 03 July 2012 01:38 PM

I have officially lost my patience with Daz today. At this point, I don’t care when 8.5 comes out, because I am fed up with the increasingly high pressure sales tactics (limited coupon replacing vouchers, no sale expiration dates), the broken website, but most especially the perpetually incomplete development cycle of Carrara. I guess it’s just time for me to start saving the money I’ve been wasting here, and move on to Maya.

I have, and use, Maya…  good luck saving anything with it.  Expensive to buy, expensive to use, expensive to run.  You haven’t seen high pressure until you’ve dealt with Autodesk.  Good luck.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 03 July 2012 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2005-01-26
Kendall Sears - 03 July 2012 01:53 PM

I have, and use, Maya…  good luck saving anything with it.  Expensive to buy, expensive to use, expensive to run.  You haven’t seen high pressure until you’ve dealt with Autodesk.  Good luck.

I’ve avoided Autodesk for a long time, but lately dealing with everything at Daz from the website to Studio to Carrara makes me feel like their perpetual beta tester.  Is a little professionalism too much to ask?

I hate to be a forum complaint guy, I just don’t feel like I can rely on the company any more, especially to support Carrara. Which is ashamed, because I really do like these guys and their products, but there seems to be have been some turn in management lately. It seems to me that they rushed to release Genesis without the full infrastructure in place to support it. My guess is the company is bleeding money, resources are getting tighter, and they’re risking alienating their customers to squeeze out short term profits to try to make up for the chain of poor management decisions coupled with the bad economy. If I’m right, Daz wouldn’t be the first tech company to go down this way.

Again, I hate to not be supportive, but it seems like all my support is getting me is higher prices on products I still cant fully use, and more delays in development.

3 of 16