2 of 16
Carrara v8.5.0.149 (PC/Mac) Beta Update
Posted: 20 June 2012 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1007
Joined  2007-10-17
BrianP21361 - 20 June 2012 12:09 PM

Spooky,

Thanks for the response. I understand that shaders are different in Studio from Carrara, but it would be really nice if texture maps, bump maps, normal maps, etc were able to load. I recreated the Mr. Hyde textures in Carrara and it took hours to load all the maps. Plus I had to adjust all the channels to get everything to look right. Many of the presets for Supersuit also contain morphs and consolidation of the shading domains (at least it looks that way to me), the seams are grouped into the main body parts sometimes. At least getting those parts into Carrara would save a lot of time. 

The PZ2 files that I want to apply are not in runtimes so they don’t show up in the browser. They were free on ShareCG.  I guess I have to put them in a runtime. create. With M4 and V4 I can apply a PZ2 file by selecting the figure and clicking on Import > Prest (Pose, Material). The import option doesn’t show up for Genesis.

Trust me, I feel your pain. smile

The Morphs, maps etc. will come across, though there is a change to how DS is saving things in a build of DAZ Studio after the current public Beta. This should make the maps come across better from a DUF (custom shaders still can not come across). It is not going to happen from a DSA and as long as custom shaders are not used, it should also work with a PZ2.

With the next public Beta of 4.5 you should be able to resave those dsa as duf and bring them into Carrara and lose at least half of the work.

I do highly recommend the use of Reference Shaders to make the shaders you need to be the same, the same so changing one changes them all, without losing the flexibility of the Supersuit.

Posted: 20 June 2012 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2005-08-31
DAZ_Spooky - 20 June 2012 02:26 PM
BrianP21361 - 20 June 2012 12:09 PM

Spooky,

Thanks for the response. I understand that shaders are different in Studio from Carrara, but it would be really nice if texture maps, bump maps, normal maps, etc were able to load. I recreated the Mr. Hyde textures in Carrara and it took hours to load all the maps. Plus I had to adjust all the channels to get everything to look right. Many of the presets for Supersuit also contain morphs and consolidation of the shading domains (at least it looks that way to me), the seams are grouped into the main body parts sometimes. At least getting those parts into Carrara would save a lot of time. 

The PZ2 files that I want to apply are not in runtimes so they don’t show up in the browser. They were free on ShareCG.  I guess I have to put them in a runtime. create. With M4 and V4 I can apply a PZ2 file by selecting the figure and clicking on Import > Prest (Pose, Material). The import option doesn’t show up for Genesis.

Trust me, I feel your pain. smile

The Morphs, maps etc. will come across, though there is a change to how DS is saving things in a build of DAZ Studio after the current public Beta. This should make the maps come across better from a DUF (custom shaders still can not come across). It is not going to happen from a DSA and as long as custom shaders are not used, it should also work with a PZ2.

With the next public Beta of 4.5 you should be able to resave those dsa as duf and bring them into Carrara and lose at least half of the work.

I do highly recommend the use of Reference Shaders to make the shaders you need to be the same, the same so changing one changes them all, without losing the flexibility of the Supersuit.

Thanks Spooky. I hope you’re right about the next beta. Although this does ad an extra step. I don’t typically use Studio. I only loaded it for Genesis. Better an extra step than no result at all.

Posted: 20 June 2012 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6154
Joined  2007-12-04

Hmnpf!
Come back to check out the new forums only to find a shiny new C85beta! Thanks Devs! I’m still loving the last one!
I took on some heavy manual labor jobs to bide my time for Daz to iron out their new store so I wouldn’t drive everyone nuts with how I felt about the initial launch. It worked. Now I look and like what I see. Bravo!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 22 June 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2011-05-27

Hmmm… this is the first time I’ve loaded up 8.5 in many months, so I don’t know if this is an ongoing issue or if it’s just something I’m doing wrong…
But I’m trying to save an obj by dragging and dropping it from the Instance Menu to the Objects tab in the browser, and I keep getting an I/O error. 
My fault or Carrara’s? 

Edit:  And I’ve tried different obj’s, as well, all with the same result.

Posted: 22 June 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

HI djmulcahy smile

It’s working fine for me here.
single objects or groups and animated groups, working as expected..

Anything unusual about your Objects folders. ?

Anything you drag’n'drop from the instance list into the Browser (objects) tab Folders, should be getting saved as a .Car file.

Can the objects be exported as a .Car file on it’s own. ?

Posted: 22 June 2012 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  215
Joined  2005-11-06

I can’t open any .duf files - reported it in the bug tracker.

Image Attachments
error-on-open-1.jpg
c3debanner10.jpg
 Signature 

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

My DAZ3D Store

My Personal Website

Posted: 23 June 2012 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2847
Joined  0

Ok, I’m getting unexpected behavior out of this BETA:

- Load K4
- Load Bramble Berry Fairy Hair

Carrara loads the hair, then I get this message “Projecting Morphs” and in the 10 minutes I’ve sat here, it’s only at 16%!!!!

Is this “working as designed”?  I’ve never seen tis message before and it seems a bit extreme to take this long to load a simple hair.  I know my wheezy dual-core T4400 at 2.3GHz isn’t a screamer, but DS4.5 and PPro 2010 both load this in seconds.

Is this bug-report-worthy material?

Also, some UI feedback during morph INJ/REM would be nice as I spent several minutes clicking an INJ without any feedback or indication Carrara had heard me.

Signature 

My bloggity blog: http://the-serpents-fang.blogspot.com/
My Red Room Authors Page: http://redroom.com/member/edward-averill

Posted: 23 June 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  333
Joined  2003-10-09
Woolyloach - 23 June 2012 10:59 AM

... Carrara loads the hair, then I get this message “Projecting Morphs” and in the 10 minutes I’ve sat here, it’s only at 16%!!!! ... Is this bug-report-worthy material?

Report it. It may not be a show-stopper, but it’s certainly an irritation, so it’s something the developers should know about. (Of course, if ‘Projecting Morphs’ never finishes then it is a show-stopper, so they should definitely hear about it).

Make sure that you write it up in detail so that they can reproduce the problem. I’ve always been taught to write bug reports in four parts as:

1. Steps to Reproduce
2. Expected Behavior
3. Actual Behavior
4. Additional Information

... some UI feedback during morph INJ/REM would be nice as I spent several minutes clicking an INJ without any feedback or indication Carrara had heard me.

Carrara’s not great on giving feedback. There are a bunch of operations - applying a MAT pose, for example - where it stops responding for an indefinite amount of time, with nothing to indicate that anything’s happening. It’s an aspect of Carrara that the developers could usefully do some work on.

Signature 

http://bytescapes.com/            Bryce/Carrara/Reality galleries and resources

Posted: 23 June 2012 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0
angusm - 23 June 2012 11:07 AM

... Carrara loads the hair, then I get this message “Projecting Morphs” and in the 10 minutes I’ve sat here, it’s only at 16%!!!! ... Is this bug-report-worthy material?

Report it. It may not be a show-stopper, but it’s certainly an irritation, so it’s something the developers should know about. (Of course, if ‘Projecting Morphs’ never finishes then it is a show-stopper, so they should definitely hear about it).

Make sure that you write it up in detail so that they can reproduce the problem. I’ve always been taught to write bug reports in four parts as:

1. Steps to Reproduce
2. Expected Behavior
3. Actual Behavior

... some UI feedback during morph INJ/REM would be nice as I spent several minutes clicking an INJ without any feedback or indication Carrara had heard me.

Carrara’s not great on giving feedback. There are a bunch of operations - applying a MAT pose, for example - where it stops responding for an indefinite amount of time, with nothing to indicate that anything’s happening. It’s an aspect of Carrara that the developers could usefully do some work on.

It did finish after about 18 minutes of waiting, urgh.  I’m off to report it after this post!

Glad to see it’s not just me that thinks some UI feedback would be nice!  Even a silly spinning cursor would work.

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2012 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2011-05-27
3DAGE - 22 June 2012 11:07 AM

HI djmulcahy smile

It’s working fine for me here.
single objects or groups and animated groups, working as expected..

Anything unusual about your Objects folders. ?

Anything you drag’n'drop from the instance list into the Browser (objects) tab Folders, should be getting saved as a .Car file.

Can the objects be exported as a .Car file on it’s own. ?

Thanks…
I could save objects modeled in Carrara without trouble, but importing anything prevented me from saving it. 
After uninstalling Carrara and reinstalling, it’s working normally again.  Those same imported objects are now saved without a hassle. 
Something funky was going on there.

Posted: 24 June 2012 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3572
Joined  2012-02-06

I’ve never used (or bought) Carrara before, but I’m impressed with what I’ve seen of it. Two questions:
1. Does this beta require that you have a previous (purchased) version of Carrara installed?
2. Is it intended only for those who have previously purchased Carrara?

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 25 June 2012 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Scott-Livingston smile

1./ The beta should be installed into a New and Separate folder from any other version of Carrara,.(if you have one installed) but it’s not dependent on having Carrara installed previously.

If you want to,. you can also download the 30 day Trial version of Carrara 8 from www.downloads.com. and compare the old with the new.

2./ Yes, the Beta is being provided for “testing” purposes,. so ideally having some experience of the way Carrara works would be helpful in spotting any issues in the current beta version,. However.. new features, are new features to everyone, so all input is welcomed,

Hope it helps smile

Posted: 26 June 2012 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  0

I can’t find a link to the bug tracker now - can someone please post it?  Thanks in advance!

Woolyloach - 23 June 2012 11:33 AM
angusm - 23 June 2012 11:07 AM

1. Steps to Reproduce
2. Expected Behavior
3. Actual Behavior

It did finish after about 18 minutes of waiting, urgh.  I’m off to report it after this post!

Glad to see it’s not just me that thinks some UI feedback would be nice!  Even a silly spinning cursor would work.

Signature 

Posted: 26 June 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Woolyloach smile

There’s a Link to the bug tracker in the text on Page One.

Bug Tracker

Posted: 26 June 2012 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  336
Joined  2007-07-31

QUOTE   or Veloute (included in Advance Pack in the DAZ Store

Veloute much cheaper direct from Inagoni who reduced their prices 50%

http://www.inagoni.com/news.php

Signature 

http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!home/mainPage

2 of 16