Digital Art Zone

3 of 10
DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.6.0.15) Release Candidate!
Posted: 10 May 2013 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2004-03-03
BishounenTaurus - 09 May 2013 08:31 PM

I do not have the option to choose between card or integrated graphics. My issue came with the installer failing to uninstall the previous version halfway through uninstalling it, causing it to fail every subsequent time.

EDIT: Another problem I encounter with the installation. It fails to install the Daz Content Management Service. It simply says it encountered an error, and then carries on installing the rest of Daz Studio as if nothing happened.

Yes, I’ve had these problems again, as with every version of DS4 and 4.5 I’ve installed, and now also the DSON importer and the one plugin installer from the DS4.5 beta I installed (the Dynamic clothing control). It really has become very tiresome.

There were some slight differences this time, making a slight improvement.

As always before, the DS installer, the DSON importer installer and the Dynamic Clothing control installer, when the uninstaller for the previous version ran, the uninstaller errored out with a ‘segmentation fault’. On return to the installer after the acknowledging the uninstaller error, the installer promptly crashed. It really should not be beyond the wit of man to design things so that the installer doesn’t crash in cases when the uninstall fails.

In all three cases, the errored uninstall DID uninstall the existing uninstall .dat file.

In the case of the Dynamic Clothing Control installer and the DSON importer, the lack of the uninstall .dat file meant further install attempts with the uninstall trying to run then errored due to the absence of the uninstall .dat file, the installer then crashing again after the uninstall fail. As the Dynamic Clothing control importer has no option to choose to install without uninstalling, I had to go into the Program files to manually delete the uninstall .exe to then finally get the installer to run. The DSON Importer installer thankfully DOES have an option not to uninstall, so that could be run picking that option without having to manually delve and delete the uninstall .exe.

The marginal positive change with the actual DS installer was that on the initial uninstaller segmentation error followed by the installer crash, this time, for the first time, it had deleted the uninstall .exe AS WELL AS the uninstall .dat file it’s always deleted. So this time the installer did run on the second attempt without trying to uninstall and therefore failing, and therefore not needing me to manually find and delete the uninstall .exe to get the installer to run.

But then, as previous times and as with you, the CMS installer ended saying there’d been an unspecified error (but I don’t use the CMS ... but still ....)

And at the end of the installs of all three - DS, DSON Importer and Dynamic Clothing control - there was a message about an error in creating the new uninstallers, citing an inability to access the uninstall file, even though it did create (non-empty) uninstall .exe and .dat files for each.

Very tiresome. These DAZ programs are the only programs I have any trouble installing. I can’t even remember the last time I got error messages, let alone crashes and needs to manually delete files, on any other program install, whether fresh installs or upgrades to new versions. Yet I’ve had this with every DS 4 and 4.5.

Posted: 10 May 2013 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1001
Joined  2007-10-17
Kyoto Kid - 09 May 2013 08:27 PM

...so what if you have multiple drives? Couldn’t you install the beta on one while still having 4.5.1.56 on the other and just map the same library/runtimes?

That is neither recommended nor supported.

Posted: 10 May 2013 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  435
Joined  2012-10-15
cwichura - 10 May 2013 06:17 AM

So a content vendor making a set of say long boots could have the boots automatically hide the shin+foot+toes faces and completely eliminate any possibility of pokethrough happening, regardless of how the Genesis figure was shaped, and without having to make a bunch of custom FBM morphs for their boots?  That seems pretty powerful.  Obviously, it wouldn’t make sense if you are intending to use transparency in the item fit to Genesis, but for a lot of clothing, that’s not an issue.

Can this cascade?  E.g., boots fit to stockings fit to Genesis?  Most shoes/boots lack suitable expansion morphs to make them fit over stockings.

Currently a follower can hide facets on one target mesh.  You can make the socks hide genesis facets.  You can make boots hide sock facets if it is following the socks.  However you can’t make boots hide facets on Genesis and on the Socks.

Posted: 10 May 2013 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-17
DoctorJellybean - 10 May 2013 02:16 AM
RAMWolff - 09 May 2013 11:30 PM

What the heck is Valentina 5 anyways??

It is the database.

Correct. The Valentina 5 Client, fixes all sorts of nastiness, especially on the Mac.

Posted: 10 May 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  329
Joined  2003-10-09

nvinit*.dll is part of the NVIDIA driver installation; it is NOT provided by any of the installers that DAZ 3D distributes.  It [presumably] listens for processes to start (in this case, a BitRock uninstaller) and attaches itself to them.  Its purpose appears to be to export functions that allow configuration of the desktop and display(s); it provides the ability to control display functionality, such as gamma and PowerMizer settings, obtain display information such as multi-monitor modes and a list of the displays that are connected to the system.  The problem is, IT is crashing and thereby causing the process it is attached to (i.e. the BitRock uninstaller) to crash.  Renaming the dll causes it to not be found, which causes it to not attach to the process when it starts, which then doesn’t cause it to crash, which ultimately allows the process (i.e. the BitRock uninstaller) to operate in the way it was designed.

Signature 

- Documentation Center
- Install Manager
- DAZ Studio 4.x
- DSON Importer
- DSON File Format Specification

Posted: 10 May 2013 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1003
Joined  2012-02-04

The thing is, BitRock is the ONLY thing that ever trips the crash in nvinit on my system.  So even if it is an Nvidia bug, it seems like BitRock is doing something to trigger it where most apps do not.  Other installer systems don’t seem to have this problem, either.

What is the reason for using BitRock instead of standard .msi files?  Is it cross-platform, so supports your Mac install as well in a single project?

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 10 May 2013 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  970
Joined  2005-03-26
cwichura - 10 May 2013 06:17 AM

[quote author=“DAZ_cjones” date=“1368146031"Any weight mapped figure “Fit to” a weight mapped figure can hide faces on that target figure.

So a content vendor making a set of say long boots could have the boots automatically hide the shin+foot+toes faces and completely eliminate any possibility of pokethrough happening, regardless of how the Genesis figure was shaped, and without having to make a bunch of custom FBM morphs for their boots?  That seems pretty powerful.  Obviously, it wouldn’t make sense if you are intending to use transparency in the item fit to Genesis, but for a lot of clothing, that’s not an issue.

Can this cascade?  E.g., boots fit to stockings fit to Genesis?  Most shoes/boots lack suitable expansion morphs to make them fit over stockings.

Of course:  I’m still using the last? 4.5 beta, and fitting clothes to each other (or as I more usually do, setting them to collide with layers below) works just fine even in my build (4.5.2.40 Pro 64-bit)

Signature 

My dA gallery
For God’s sake!  Gallifrey Stands!

And God still reigns.

Posted: 10 May 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4534
Joined  2004-08-11
fixmypcmike - 10 May 2013 05:23 AM
RAMWolff - 09 May 2013 09:18 PM

Pretty exciting stuff folks.  Thanks for the update. 

I wish you guys could work towards making an “auto meta data” doohicky thingamabob.  Recently had a system go down the toilet and had to “refresh windows” which of course removes all the programs that are not native to MS.  SO now all my content is just content again.  All the meta data is .... I don’t know.  I’m going to try a few things and see if I can get it going again. 

Other than that these new additions sound scrumptious.  You and SM are on a roll. Like that!  grin

Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import metadata

Thanks.  Took a bit more than that to get it done.  Uninstall DS and the Content Management Service module, clear out the old Meta Data and then reinstall and it was all there.  Weird way to do it but it worked.  Found that info at the ZEN desk.  Actually good documentation on this and other issues pertaining to Meta Data there at the ZEN desk.  Just wish DAZ would figure out a more automated way around all this.  That was really my main request.  lol

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 10 May 2013 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-17
RAMWolff - 10 May 2013 11:01 AM
fixmypcmike - 10 May 2013 05:23 AM
RAMWolff - 09 May 2013 09:18 PM

Pretty exciting stuff folks.  Thanks for the update. 

I wish you guys could work towards making an “auto meta data” doohicky thingamabob.  Recently had a system go down the toilet and had to “refresh windows” which of course removes all the programs that are not native to MS.  SO now all my content is just content again.  All the meta data is .... I don’t know.  I’m going to try a few things and see if I can get it going again. 

Other than that these new additions sound scrumptious.  You and SM are on a roll. Like that!  grin

Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import metadata

Thanks.  Took a bit more than that to get it done.  Uninstall DS and the Content Management Service module, clear out the old Meta Data and then reinstall and it was all there.  Weird way to do it but it worked.  Found that info at the ZEN desk.  Actually good documentation on this and other issues pertaining to Meta Data there at the ZEN desk.  Just wish DAZ would figure out a more automated way around all this.  That was really my main request.  lol

Once we get the Valentina 5 server deployed, that should come up much less often.

Posted: 10 May 2013 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Hope so.  I have to admit, I really like Smart Content.  It is smart but when one has this sort of thing happen trying to get it all back after a reinstall is just a bit overwhelming.  By the by, is there a way to tell DIM to reinstall all downloaded content?  I couldn’t find a way to do that since I was considering this as an option if I couldn’t find a solution to the meta data issue.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 10 May 2013 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-17
RAMWolff - 10 May 2013 11:17 AM

Hope so.  I have to admit, I really like Smart Content.  It is smart but when one has this sort of thing happen trying to get it all back after a reinstall is just a bit overwhelming.  By the by, is there a way to tell DIM to reinstall all downloaded content?  I couldn’t find a way to do that since I was considering this as an option if I couldn’t find a solution to the meta data issue.

If you didn’t delete your installers, then you can uninstall it and re-install it. It will take longer than just reimporting your Metadata, but it is still pretty quick.

Posted: 10 May 2013 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11
DAZ_Spooky - 10 May 2013 11:19 AM
RAMWolff - 10 May 2013 11:17 AM

If you didn’t delete your installers, then you can uninstall it and re-install it. It will take longer than just reimporting your Metadata, but it is still pretty quick.

Be nice if there was a reinstall button on the DIM rather than unistalling and reinstalling.  Yea, I do have it all saved to my L drive for safe keeping. grin

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 10 May 2013 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  329
Joined  2003-10-09
cwichura - 10 May 2013 10:21 AM

The thing is, BitRock is the ONLY thing that ever trips the crash in nvinit on my system.  So even if it is an Nvidia bug, it seems like BitRock is doing something to trigger it where most apps do not.  Other installer systems don’t seem to have this problem, either.

What is the reason for using BitRock instead of standard .msi files?  Is it cross-platform, so supports your Mac install as well in a single project?

On your system.  It is at fault for crashes in plenty of other applications, just none that you use.  BitRock cannot be expected to know that a third party may or may not attach to one of its processes and inject flawed code/logic that results in a crash.  Again, it is nvinit that is causing the crash; the uninstaller is only crashing because nvinit attached to it and crashed.  It is interesting, however, that NVIDIA is among those prominently listed as BitRock InstallBuilder customers.

To answer your question… Yes, BitRock building for multiple platforms (without forcing customers to deal with JVM issues) from a single project certainly played a significant part in choosing it; particularly because of the number of installers that had to be built.  It cut the amount of work required to produce the installers, literally in half (actually more when you consider the amount of extra effort that went into building the VISE installers on Mac).  Obviously, with our move toward Install Manager and zips with manifests, we’re reducing our need for it.  But, that need doesn’t entirely go away… at least not yet.  The change log for Install Manager provides some insight into the direction we are heading.  Once we reach a certain point, MSI/DMG become much more feasible solutions… though it does require a bit of work and does not happen overnight.

In any event, there are several tangents here and I don’t mean to derail this thread.  Apologies to the folks visiting this thread for information specifically regarding the Release Candidate.

Signature 

- Documentation Center
- Install Manager
- DAZ Studio 4.x
- DSON Importer
- DSON File Format Specification

Posted: 10 May 2013 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  257
Joined  2006-12-09

http://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/350x455/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/_/p/_product-page_daz-studio-4.6beta_.jpg

This horrendous zombie picture isn’t gonna pop up every time I open the program, is it?

Signature 

Loose rhymes with moose and means “not tight”.  Lose an “o” to suffer a loss.

Posted: 10 May 2013 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2007-08-27
wwes - 10 May 2013 01:09 PM

http://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/350x455/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/_/p/_product-page_daz-studio-4.6beta_.jpg

This horrendous zombie picture isn’t gonna pop up every time I open the program, is it?

It looks better than the zombies in The Walking Dead smile

3 of 10