Digital Art Zone

40 of 51
Let’s Make Clothing! Tutorial thread. Shoes too!
Posted: 27 April 2013 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 586 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5183
Joined  2012-04-07
RAMWolff - 27 April 2013 04:02 PM

Glad your taking this on.  Read the other thread and the conversation at times just seemed a little tense and it really shouldn’t lead to that sort of tone.

Thank you. It can be rather daunting at times, there’s so much to learn and one has to develop the workflow that works for themselves as well as others for making shares.

Signature 

For those out of the news loop, 2 Suns.

Posted: 27 April 2013 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 587 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  392
Joined  2003-10-09

Patience:

I know it seems a little confusing, but as a modeler, and a user of MD2, I can shed a little light on the subject.  I wrote a tutorial regarding this with MD2 a while back in the previous forums.

Most (if not all) 3D software can read those UV’s.  It is actually technique, and not some sort of mistake.  It is un-bounded tiling UV’s, and one way you can retain tiling schemes within the OBJ UV’s.  This is apparent in the waistband (and, on purpose).

The original author tiled the texture used on the clothing to those sizes, and exported the mesh with those tiling attributes intact.  They could have selected the option to create the UV’s within the normal UV bounds, but would have lost all tiling information.

You explained well how to create an in-bound UV set from those out-of-bounds UV set.  Great tut.  Keep up the good work.

I use a similar work-flow to Bejaymac’s, but you have shown a thorough example for people to follow as well.

Signature 

Take care all..        “It’s easy to clean up when you got money.”        *Old Post Count:  Don’t know, don’t care…  *New Site Status:  Doesn’t matter one iota.
Ken

Posted: 27 April 2013 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 588 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07
DaremoK3 - 27 April 2013 05:09 PM

Patience:

I know it seems a little confusing, but as a modeler, and a user of MD2, I can shed a little light on the subject.  I wrote a tutorial regarding this with MD2 a while back in the previous forums.

Most (if not all) 3D software can read those UV’s.  It is actually technique, and not some sort of mistake.  It is un-bounded tiling UV’s, and one way you can retain tiling schemes within the OBJ UV’s.  This is apparent in the waistband (and, on purpose).

The original author tiled the texture used on the clothing to those sizes, and exported the mesh with those tiling attributes intact.  They could have selected the option to create the UV’s within the normal UV bounds, but would have lost all tiling information.

You explained well how to create an in-bound UV set from those out-of-bounds UV set.  Great tut.  Keep up the good work.

I use a similar work-flow to Bejaymac’s, but you have shown a thorough example for people to follow as well.

I’ve seen a lot of mesh come into Hexagon with the uvmap “off the paper” and I know that it was not that way in the previous programs ... so thank you for the explanation as to why that is happening. Obviously it does not read “un-bounded” uvmapping.

Thank you. I hope it helps other beginners also in “how to use” of the free items they find. As I’m sure you’re aware also, many freeware items do require some “tlc” before being usable.

Signature 

Posted: 28 April 2013 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 589 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1893
Joined  2010-10-10

I’ve just tested that outfit and apart from the UV’s, which I redid, and the ruck at the back of the top, it works fine!!!

Why do people have to be so mean to beginners?  Everyone has to start somewhere!

I’ve added to the original thread.

Signature 

Wendy

My website: http://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk

Tutorials: http://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_products.php?cat=10

PLEASE NOTE:
My items are NOT to be used on Second Life website.  They have recently changed their TOS and are legally able to take/steal anything uploaded and resell/redistribute to items.

Posted: 28 April 2013 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 590 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07
wilmap - 28 April 2013 02:40 AM

I’ve just tested that outfit and apart from the UV’s, which I redid, and the ruck at the back of the top, it works fine!!!

Why do people have to be so mean to beginners?  Everyone has to start somewhere!

I’ve added to the original thread.

Nobody’s really trying to be mean Wilmap. If nobody said anything to anybody about anything nobody would learn anything and nothing would be accomplished. You provide support for your items. If you gave away an .obj and said, “here, click button and it makes clothes” I’m sure you have some idea as to how many questions would be presented. So several people have presented ways in which they would have worked to make the item usable. And hopefully mrburna813 finds the path for how they wish to turn their beautiful objects into clothing pieces.

For some the UVs were just fine and didn’t require fixing.

Not everybody has MD and knows what settings were used.

I’ve read your reply in the other thread where you’ve said you’ve imported the item at 100% and it worked fine. 100% of what? Okay wild guess the Daz settings. That worked yes. There are a lot of options for import.
Running the transfer utility also requires some knowledge. A figure modeled item was presented. That’s not a “beginner will know how to make clothing from” item. Joequick’s reply has a beautiful layout of instructions for how to do that. link for post I tested those along with the Daz import settings and there was no poke through, it was the correct size, and so have added to my notes here too.

Signature 

Posted: 09 May 2013 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 591 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2013-02-28

Just ducking in to ask if you think this would be possible. I’m managing to get hair happening in Blender, but the process involves duplicating an area of the body. I’m wondering if anyone’s tried doing just that, then sculpting a garment out of it on a different layer. Save your Blender file to the garment name, delete the other layers and save as an .obj… ?

Then, if I want to Render in DAZ, I can rig here. I’m eventually going to check out Carrara. I like what I’ve seen can be done there… still I think Blender has a plethora of bells and whistles. Poser does beautiful Renders, but I think it relates back to the renderist more than the renderer.

(Pardon my use of Artistic License (24F508ht1212) to invent the word “renderist.”)

As for the mechanical question, I would think it would be a matter of scale on the import end either way.

Signature 

The Universe is a hairball. It was made by Fritz the Cat.raspberry Einstein claimed it was a plate of spaghetti, but you don’t want to know what transpired between him and Elsa for him to arrive at such a eureka moment…

Posted: 09 May 2013 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 592 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5233
Joined  2008-03-06

With garments copying from the body is a bad idea for geometry flow reasons (the body has loops and curves in the limb and joint areas especially designed to bend the lorez model well and you don’t necessarily want those in all pants and shirts, or not in the same way).  I can’t imagine why you’d need to do that with hair either.  Pics?

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 09 May 2013 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 593 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07

Have I tried modeling using the figure’s mesh for clothing and hair; of course. Is it worth the work. Nope.

I found I could get better results just starting with my own mesh in the first place and then also know in doing this as a habit, I don’t have to be trying to remember ‘which items’ I may or not redistribute legally.

Signature 

Posted: 09 May 2013 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 594 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

It works, but I have to work the bugs out of the extrusion.

Edit: Posted before looking at responses…

So this is heading down a bad path?

Image Attachments
genDAZ1.JPG
 Signature 

The Universe is a hairball. It was made by Fritz the Cat.raspberry Einstein claimed it was a plate of spaghetti, but you don’t want to know what transpired between him and Elsa for him to arrive at such a eureka moment…

Posted: 09 May 2013 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 595 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
drcharbonneau - 09 May 2013 05:39 PM

It works, but I have to work the bugs out of the extrusion.

Edit: Posted before looking at responses…

So this is heading down a bad path?

Visible irregularities:

Nipples
Navel
Thigh hem

This is not a good method.  Nobody can tell you what to do, but you really should dump it and learn to strip model with a mirror modifier instead if you’re working on a symmetrical project.  This is my advice as a long-term Blender user currently using it to make clothes that I sell commercially.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 09 May 2013 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 596 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Strip model?

Signature 

Posted: 09 May 2013 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 597 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4688
Joined  2004-08-11

Where?  I wanna see a model strip!  raspberry

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 09 May 2013 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 598 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

Ha ha, Ram. :p

Strip modeling is also called by some other names but basically means starting from one face, extruding it to form a framework of polys, and then filling in that framework to complete the geometry.  You can create a half-framework and use a mirror modifier across the X axis and only do half as much work.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Polygon_by_Polygon_modeling

People also model using primitives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9jXOx7S32I

The second one also has good basics on extrusion, mirror modifiers and subsurface modifiers.  Subsurfing and its equivalents (Blender uses some of the same methods as DAZ Studio’s subdivision) are what let people get models with medium to high poly counts but very regular geometry.  Regular geometry is good because it tends to render more cleanly (with fewer artifacts) and is easier to UV map without stretching.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 09 May 2013 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 599 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07

Well I kept hearing about this product, finally found it ... was looking in wrong store ... now have it! Yes ... so when I learn how to use it [sometime after I install it], no longer shall the dress fronts be a problem right Sickleyield! Thank you for the time saver grin

Signature 

Posted: 09 May 2013 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 600 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
Patience55 - 09 May 2013 11:41 PM

Well I kept hearing about this product, finally found it ... was looking in wrong store ... now have it! Yes ... so when I learn how to use it [sometime after I install it], no longer shall the dress fronts be a problem right Sickleyield! Thank you for the time saver grin

You’re very welcome!

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

40 of 51