17 of 98
Realistic Renders…NOT!! 11 “Hello Rogerbee!”
Posted: 19 November 2012 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 241 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2009-02-26

Genesis should have:
1. Cornea (Use glass like settings for real reflections OR your transparent eye reflections textures (Eye lights) )
2. Iris: Colour of the eye, self explanitory.
3. Pupil, can use black surface OR textures, I use textures.
4. Sclera The eye whites, these can be tricky to get right, but I use M5 Philip parameters for this with my own textures.
5. Tear… Can use glass like settings for real reflections OR your transparent eye reflections textures (Eye lights)
6. Lacrimal: which is the tear duct… I do NOT use fake burnt in reflections on this as it just looks fake.

A good set of really realistic ‘eyelights’ or fake reflections for the cornea and tear is available in Interjection (Daz3d) Absolutely fantastic! The SSS mats are the best I’ve ever came across as well. Well worth it smile

There are really two ways to go about eyes. I do both depending on the task. 1. Realistic with Real ray traced reflections. OR 2. Realistic but with Fake reflections.

I use “1” in full scenes with lights purposely in place to cause good reflections in the eyes. It will reflect the scene/environment but will also get lights reflected if positioned tactically, like on a movie set.

I use “2” with what I call, “studio” renders… Where there is no actual set/physical environment. For renders like Rogerbee does, this method is fantastic, and I use Interjections eye reflections for this method.

———————————-

I standardize ALL my characters with the same eye parameters (Excluding fantasy/sci-fi of course) I use M5 Phillip’s shadowed eyes parameters, his eye shadow texture with my own custom Sclera, Iris and pupil (Made in Photoshop using Philips textures as a base)

It should be noted that Philip comes with a transparent PNG texture with the shadow to use in Photoshop smile Use it all the time. You’ll find it in the Runtime.

I use Phillips ray trace and glass settings for the cornea and eye for the “real” reflections, and use Interjections parameters for “fake” or “eyelights” reflections.

Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 19 November 2012 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 242 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10698
Joined  2007-11-06

...I was wondering why my Genesis Leela’s expressions looked so blank.  I’ll see what I can do though GenX.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 20 November 2012 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 243 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  791
Joined  2004-05-14

Below are the renders of Victoria 4.2 character Exemplary Girl, rendered with the included light set.
Very nice textures and morphs. Click each of the images to see them enlarged.

Image Attachments
ExemplaryGirl02pic05MoiraHair.jpgExemplaryGirl02pic06MoiraHair.jpg

Posted: 20 November 2012 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 244 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2304
Joined  2007-12-13
ps1borg - 19 November 2012 05:22 PM
Rogerbee - 19 November 2012 04:45 PM

Ah, yeah, the Eyelights only work on the eye surface, which Genesis doesn’t have. Genesis eyes only have a cornea, iris and pupil. If you use the properties of the eye surface on the cornea you don’t quite get the same results. That was why I asked, all the eye tutorials I’ve found are all for Gen 4. I think Daz boobed big time not giving Genesis the same eyes as Gen 4.

I’ll persevere….

CHEERS!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/6376/P75/

Has comments and a tute about settings for genesis eyes. smile

Spyro - 19 November 2012 08:25 PM

Genesis should have:
1. Cornea (Use glass like settings for real reflections OR your transparent eye reflections textures (Eye lights) )
2. Iris: Colour of the eye, self explanitory.
3. Pupil, can use black surface OR textures, I use textures.
4. Sclera The eye whites, these can be tricky to get right, but I use M5 Philip parameters for this with my own textures.
5. Tear… Can use glass like settings for real reflections OR your transparent eye reflections textures (Eye lights)
6. Lacrimal: which is the tear duct… I do NOT use fake burnt in reflections on this as it just looks fake.

A good set of really realistic ‘eyelights’ or fake reflections for the cornea and tear is available in Interjection (Daz3d) Absolutely fantastic! The SSS mats are the best I’ve ever came across as well. Well worth it smile

There are really two ways to go about eyes. I do both depending on the task. 1. Realistic with Real ray traced reflections. OR 2. Realistic but with Fake reflections.

I use “1” in full scenes with lights purposely in place to cause good reflections in the eyes. It will reflect the scene/environment but will also get lights reflected if positioned tactically, like on a movie set.

I use “2” with what I call, “studio” renders… Where there is no actual set/physical environment. For renders like Rogerbee does, this method is fantastic, and I use Interjections eye reflections for this method.

———————————-

I standardize ALL my characters with the same eye parameters (Excluding fantasy/sci-fi of course) I use M5 Phillip’s shadowed eyes parameters, his eye shadow texture with my own custom Sclera, Iris and pupil (Made in Photoshop using Philips textures as a base)

It should be noted that Philip comes with a transparent PNG texture with the shadow to use in Photoshop smile Use it all the time. You’ll find it in the Runtime.

I use Phillips ray trace and glass settings for the cornea and eye for the “real” reflections, and use Interjections parameters for “fake” or “eyelights” reflections.

All well and good guys, but, I use Poser, everything you suggest is for DS.

All the attempts I’ve made so far with doing what the eye surface did with the cornea just put that silly looking dot in the middle of the pupil. Transmapped reflections are all that really work as they should as they go where they should, but, not all of them look good.The reflection maps I did a few pages back don’t show up so well in the light set up I’m using now.

Nearly all of the eye textures I like use the eye surface to get their best effects. One possible solution is to create a clear sphere prop, scale it to the same size as the eye, or thereabouts, and place it over the eye. Then, hopefully, you could get that to behave like the eye surface used to.

What I think really should be done is to give Genesis Gen4 eyes, there was nothing in them at all that needed updating. If Daz did this it would solve all the problems. When Genesis was just for DS it was fine, you guys could make adjustments to the eyes that would work. However, Poser isn’t set up like that, we got the best results with Gen 4 eyes, all the best Poser light set ups are geared towards Gen 4 eyes.

CHEERS!

Posted: 20 November 2012 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 245 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13
Artini - 20 November 2012 01:23 AM

Below are the renders of Victoria 4.2 character Exemplary Girl, rendered with the included light set.
Very nice textures and morphs. Click each of the images to see them enlarged.

Very nice,

I know that’s supposed to be Natalie Portman, but, I think she looks more like Eva Mendes.

CHEERS!

Posted: 20 November 2012 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 246 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7447
Joined  2009-06-11

The eye surface issue is very noticeable using a physical renderer, I wonder if the Lux guys have come up with a fix. I looked into using UVs and P data as parameters to apply a reflect node to all the eye surfaces but didn’t seem to work. I noticed also any shadow across sclera like from eyelashes is also trashed, don’t really know what to do about that except look for clues in the procedures used for Studio. Right now kit bashing some geometry over the eyes seems the only feasible workaround but there is always another way I reckon/hope/xfingers smile

Posted: 20 November 2012 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 247 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

I’ve been mulling this over all day and this thought came to mind and won’t go away:

Can you load a Gen 4 side by side with Genesis and somehow take the eyes out of the Gen 4 head and plug them into the Genesis head!? If you parent them to the Genesis eyes they’d move when they did. Could you then make the Genesis eyes invisible and just use the Gen 4 eyes instead!?

It’s an interesting theory, and one I fancy trying

CHEERS!

PS (This thread is now as much about hints and tips for creating renders as much as it is posting them, so if you have any tips or ideas, let’s brainstorm!)

Posted: 20 November 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 248 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

This is Lana from before but with mix and match eyes from Farissa and Lana, it’s the best I can do for now.

CHEERS!

Image Attachments
V5_Lana_UE_2.jpg

Posted: 20 November 2012 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 249 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

The eye idea I had above doesn’t work, trying to change anything in the Setup room just crashes Poser. Back to the sphere prop idea I think!

CHEERS!

Posted: 20 November 2012 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 250 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7447
Joined  2009-06-11
Rogerbee - 20 November 2012 12:30 PM

I’ve been mulling this over all day and this thought came to mind and won’t go away:

Can you load a Gen 4 side by side with Genesis and somehow take the eyes out of the Gen 4 head and plug them into the Genesis head!? If you parent them to the Genesis eyes they’d move when they did. Could you then make the Genesis eyes invisible and just use the Gen 4 eyes instead!?

It’s an interesting theory, and one I fancy trying

CHEERS!

PS (This thread is now as much about hints and tips for creating renders as much as it is posting them, so if you have any tips or ideas, let’s brainstorm!)

Good thought. Conforming eyes ?

Posted: 20 November 2012 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 251 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

If someone could open V4 up in a decent 3D program and export her eyes as .obj’s and maintain all the levels of detail they could then be smart propped to the Genesis eyes. It can almost be done in Poser, V4’s eyes can be exported, imported and smart propped and the prop eyes have all the correct material zones, however, the resolution goes to pot. If the prop eyes could be properly UV mapped then they might work perfectly.

If someone that can UV map or apply V4 UV’s to them can try making smart props of her eyes so we can use them with Genesis then we might actually be getting somewhere.

BTW, I tried spheres, but they couldn’t be scaled properly and I couldn’t get the reflection map to work.

My own eyes are pretty knackered from trying!

CHEERS!

Posted: 20 November 2012 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 252 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-05-14

Hello, Rogerbee. What kind of Genesis eyes look in Poser are you after? Do you have any example of it?
Below is a close up render of Exemplary Girl with Tequila hair. Click the image to see it enlarged.

Image Attachments
ExemplaryGirl03pic03TequilaHairBrown.jpg

Posted: 20 November 2012 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 253 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-05-14

One more close up render of Exemplary Girl with Tequila hair. Click the image to see it enlarged.

Image Attachments
ExemplaryGirl03pic04TequilaHairBrown.jpg

Posted: 21 November 2012 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 254 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2009-01-14

steph 5

in Daz Studio 4.5 Pro

Image Attachments
step5-riley1-sml.jpg
 Signature 

my art: http://mototsume.deviantart.com/
or http://mototsume.webege.com/
freebies:  http://mototsume.webege.com/downloads.htm

Old Post Count: 1773

Posted: 21 November 2012 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 255 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-05-14

I have finally installed SR3.1 update to the Poser Pro 2012, so I am a step closer to installing a DSON importer.
Temptress is also a very nice character set for Victoria 4.2. Below are renders of her with Vania hair.
Click each of the images to see them enlarged.

Image Attachments
V4Temptress01pic10VaniaHairBrown.jpgV4Temptress01pic11VaniaHairBrown.jpg

17 of 98