Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Internet Sales Tax Coming Up For Vote- Paying Tax on DAZ Products?
Posted: 06 May 2013 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2828
Joined  2010-11-30
TheCastellan - 06 May 2013 04:27 PM

Just what we need, more taxes…...I don’t recall telling the people whom represent us to give us more tax, not last time I checked.

People keep asking the government to do more things. The government has to pay for that somehow, and it’s not as if they can make an IPO of stock in the business…

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki - rather small at the moment, but with big dreams to be the one-stop list for all D|S and Poser freebies

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge!

Posted: 06 May 2013 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  521
Joined  2006-07-28

The only sane states in the entire US.

Kyoto Kid - 06 May 2013 03:32 PM

...will be interesting to see what happens here in Oregon as well as Alaska, Montana, Delaware, and New Hampshire, all of which do not collect a state sales tax.

Signature 

Satira Capriccio on deviantART

Posted: 06 May 2013 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  739
Joined  2003-10-09

Apparently it just passed the US Senate. I imagine it’ll pass the House too considering how many…um…business-oriented representatives are in there.

Signature 

“It answers all the questions, finally, but not really, but kind of”
- Bob Denver

my deviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com

Smacky icon by Xamag

Posted: 06 May 2013 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1726
Joined  2008-05-31
SnowSultan - 06 May 2013 05:50 PM

Apparently it just passed the US Senate. I imagine it’ll pass the House too considering how many…um…business-oriented representatives are in there.

Doesn’t make any sense to me that businesses support it. It means higher prices and therefore probably a decrease in sales.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 06 May 2013 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1003
Joined  2012-01-29

Hm, maybe DAZ should make some big sale before they start to charge the sales tax, so that we can buy things we want before they get more expensive due to the tax…

Posted: 06 May 2013 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Yeah I thought so too, but I read this from the article linked:

” A broad coalition of retailers is lobbying in favor of it.”

So yeah, I don’t know.

If the House votes against it, it might be the first intelligent thing they’ve done in years.  wink

Signature 

- Bob Denver

Smacky icon by Xamag

Posted: 06 May 2013 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2003-10-09

It’s all crony capitalism - which isn’t capitalism at all.  The big and midsize retailers want it to handicap or eliminate small businesses before they can become real competition.  Whenever you see a big business supporting some government initiative/law it is not out of the goodness of their hearts - there’s profit to be made for them by restricting or eliminating their competition.  This is done all the time whether it is for “regulating an industry” or “increasing taxation”.  Only the big companies can afford to have compliance departments, legal departments and large tax accounting groups.  When these laws get passed, it kills their smaller and more nimble competitors who can’t afford the cost of compliance.  It’s all about restricting or even eliminating the free market to protect the establishment.

Signature 

My Gallery

Posted: 06 May 2013 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2828
Joined  2010-11-30
SnowSultan - 06 May 2013 06:33 PM

Yeah I thought so too, but I read this from the article linked:

” A broad coalition of retailers is lobbying in favor of it.”

So yeah, I don’t know.

Perhaps it’s a coalition of brick-and-mortar retailers who are upset about losing sales to lower-priced online merchants…? If it is, this would be a leveling of the playing field for them.

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki - rather small at the moment, but with big dreams to be the one-stop list for all D|S and Poser freebies

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge!

Posted: 06 May 2013 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2003-10-09
robkelk - 06 May 2013 07:32 PM

Perhaps it’s a coalition of brick-and-mortar retailers who are upset about losing sales to lower-priced online merchants…? If it is, this would be a leveling of the playing field for them.

Unfortunately, Amazon.com is one of the law’s supporters.  I think you’ll find that most of the big online retailers are in favor of this since it will likely knock out a bunch of their smaller competitors in one swift motion.

Signature 

My Gallery

Posted: 06 May 2013 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1057
Joined  2003-10-09
redhorse - 06 May 2013 07:46 PM
robkelk - 06 May 2013 07:32 PM

Unfortunately, Amazon.com is one of the law’s supporters.  I think you’ll find that most of the big online retailers are in favor of this since it will likely knock out a bunch of their smaller competitors in one swift motion.

Yep.

And as mentioned earlier, I don’t know why purely digital stuff should be included. They’re not in competition with any of the brick and mortars. :(

Posted: 06 May 2013 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Reminder: The discussion at hand is about Taxation of internet products. It is not for speculating on which companies are for or are not for taxation. Further speculation will be moderated. Your view on the issue is fine.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 06 May 2013 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1057
Joined  2003-10-09
Jaderail - 06 May 2013 08:18 PM

Reminder: The discussion at hand is about Taxation of internet products. It is not for speculating on which companies are for or are not for taxation. Further speculation will be moderated. Your view on the issue is fine.

Excuse me?!?!?! How can one intelligently discuss the taxation of internet products without enumerating the pros and cons as put forward by supporters and opponents? Legislation doesn’t just magically create itself. There was input from most of the parties named or from interest groups they support. It’s how it works. Perhaps it would be better not to discuss the issue at all then. Seriously because all you’re left with is ‘I like it’ vs ‘I don’t want it’.

Posted: 06 May 2013 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2005-03-14

Hmm, everything I’ve bought from DAZ had sales tax, but I guess us Utahns are just weird.
(As for standardization, the sates tried it once, people got sick of only being able to drive 55 mph through the middle of nowhere. LOL )

Signature 

“The value of an artwork is rooted in assumptions about the human performance underlying its creation” - Denis Dutton

Galleries:
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/6321/
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=374694
http://e-t-h-i-n.deviantart.com/

Freebies:
http://www.sharecg.com/ethin

Posted: 06 May 2013 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Excuse me?!?!?! How can one intelligently discuss the taxation of internet products without enumerating the pros and cons as put forward by supporters and opponents?

I think Jaderail meant not to wildly guess as to how any particular company might lean on this issue. Basically “don’t make up stuff”.  smile

Signature 

- Bob Denver

Smacky icon by Xamag

Posted: 06 May 2013 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8979
Joined  2007-11-06

Political discussions are not appropriate for this forum and are a violation of the TOS.  There are other forums for such matters.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

2 of 3