Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Brekel Kinect Pro Face Motion Capture Test DAZ Genesis 5
Posted: 27 May 2013 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  333
Joined  2004-09-12

I haven’t had much success with Brekel pro body capturing walking, jumping or kicking.

But I think that’s because of the limitations of the kinect and my knowledge of its limitations. 

The problems seem to be staying withing the kinect’s camera area.  The sweet spot is about a stride forward and back and side to side.
The only thing I have experimented with is running, walking and jumping in place.  That seems to work much better. 

Plus I run into problems when joints cross each other,  like in a typical fighting stance, you have to modify you movement so that your limbs don’t overlap.  I have gotten better results trying to capture them in side view rather than straight on. This techniques also seems to work better for kicks. 

This also leads to the main problem I can’t seem to overcome is that of spinning.  Since this obscures joints Kinect doesn’t seem to be able to handle anytype of spinning motion.  Maybe it there was two kinects and Brekel pro body supported them.

I do like Brekel pro body for roughing motion in, but i suspect until I learn more there is a lot of key framing still needed.

When I get some more time I’ll post some of my results.
Lots more experimenting to be done.

It’s just hard to remember that since the Kinect seems to be built for gaming gestures the Kinect is limited in motion capture.  Since I don’t have an Xbox or have played any games with Kinect I am unsure what those limits are. 

Anybody have experience with using the Kinect?

Posted: 28 May 2013 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2009-07-05

Hmmm! Nice, thanks for the tip, it will leave the “pro body” side.
Why I use Poser, but as for gestures, I can use the Powerpose Daz Studio, and create animated poses, and export it as BVH​​, so that I can import BVH file in poser.
thank you

Signature 

CPU MASTER: casemod AKASA Eclipse 62 / intel i7 2600 / Asrock Z77 Pro3 / GTX titan /  Ram: 4x 8GB, Corsair XMS3 DDR3 = (32Gb) / 120GB Sandisk SSD / HDD 7200rpm 1T / CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900 LED blue / Power suply Corsair CX500M (80 plus bronze)

Slave CPU: AMD Phenomll x6 1090T / 16gb of ram memories / Geoforce 9500GT

Posted: 20 June 2013 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-12

Thanks for all the Feedback.

Here is a quick experiment with DAZ Studio, Animate 2, Brekel Kinect Pro Face Kinect Motion Capture and DarioFish - HFS Shapes for Genesis.
Thanks for looking.

View the animation on YOUTUBE.COM by clicking here.
View the Stereoscopic 3D animation on YOUTUBE.COM by clicking here.
Click here to see the 3D animation on 3DVisionLive.

Image Attachments
alien05_anim.jpg

Posted: 21 June 2013 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2007-08-26
joeping - 04 May 2013 02:49 PM

This is my first attempt with Brekel Kinect Pro Face
I think its a promising start, What do you think?

I like it. I like it. But I’m waiting until Brekel (and others) adapt their software to Kinect 2, which, because of the dramatic increase in resolution,  is going to deliver better output.

Posted: 21 June 2013 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-12

Thanks for the feedback.
I am really looking forward to see what can be done with the kinect 2. 
Hopefully it will revolutionize cheap motion capture.

I wish there was a plug in for DAZ Studio for direct Kinect motion capture.  We can dream. smile

Posted: 24 June 2013 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-12

Another test of DAZ Studio and Brekel Kinect Pro Face.
Thanks for looking.

Image Attachments
portrait02_anim01a.jpg

Posted: 25 June 2013 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2007-07-31

Hi

I’m seeking a bit of advice as I’m intrested in trying out motion capture but dont know the first thing about Kinect.

I do have a copy of NuiSoft which I got as a freebie but now unfortunately they are asking $400 so hope mine still worksl.

Alternatively can start with the Brekel Free version.

Advice needed on the Kinect itself - is there something special I need ask for when shopping - I note kinect was for xbox but presume it can be connected to a pc. I have a notebook wth built in camera - will that work or do I need a seperate video camera ?

I’m mainly interested in body motion ( to start with) so any software recommendation / advice would also be appreciated

thanks

Signature 

http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!home/mainPage

Posted: 25 June 2013 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-12

I can only offer advice on what little I have from experimented with using the Kinect for motion capture in DAZ Studio.  Most of my experiments have been with the Brekel Kinect software.  I have tried the iPi Motion Capture Free Trial and liked the results (unfortunately the Basic Addition costs $600). I haven’t tried the NuiSoft software you mentioned and would be interested in learning more about it.

As for what to ask about when shopping for a Kinect, I just used a regular XBOX Kinect and connected it to my PC.  I’ve heard good things about the PC version of Kinect as it allows for zoom for closer face capture.

I haven’t tried using a laptop camera for motion capture, so I wouldn’t have any recommendations on that point.  The kinect is much better than a camera at it has a depth sensor that allows for instant motion capture.

I would refer you to my earlier post about my experiences with Brekel Pro Body for capturing full body motion.  I think once it gets support for multiple Kinects it will allow for greater range of motion.  But for $100 its definitely a cheap way into motion capture.

Hopefully with the release of Kinect 2 we will see cheaper and better mocap become available.  I am still dreaming of a Kinect Mocap plug in for DAZ Studio.

I hope this helps a little. =)

Posted: 25 June 2013 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-31
joeping - 25 June 2013 11:16 AM

I of Kinect 2 we will see cheaper and better mocap become available.  I am still dreaming of a Kinect Mocap plug in for DAZ Studio.

I hope this helps a little. =)

Yes it does = thankyou very much. I didn’t know there was a kinect speciaal fo PC so I will shop for that but maybe wait for kinect 2. Any idea when it might be available ?

Also i realise question about camera was irrelevant as Kinect IS the camera - right ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCcMnfOnn8c

http://nuicapture.com/download-trial/

Last video is a good demo of the software. Not sure if you can still get the free version I downloaded = site is a bit confusing bu check out the download page. The one you want is the “Animate ” version.

If you do get to try it ,would be interested to know your experience.
cheers

Signature 

Posted: 25 June 2013 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-31

Another NuiCapture video anyone might get ideas from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnwiLfEb5CA

as you will see there are several tutorials up there.

Signature 

Posted: 26 June 2013 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-12

Thanks for the links, it looks like it is worth trying out.

Yes the Kinect has a camera and a microphone.  It also has a depth sensor that allows for motion capture and you can even capture a point cloud of the environment.  But I haven’t tried that yet, does anybody have any experiences with it?

Posted: 28 June 2013 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-12

A quick experiment with DAZ Studio, Mimic Pro, DarioFish - HFS Shapes for Genesis and Animate 2 aniblocks.
Thanks for looking.

Image Attachments
portrait05_anim01.jpg

Posted: 30 June 2013 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-12

This is an experiment of using a simple character change of aniblocks from the “Shakespalien” animation.
Thanks for looking.

Image Attachments
portrait04_anim01.jpg

Posted: 08 July 2013 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-12

This is a quick test of DAZ Studio to get 3 genesis figures to converse using Mimic Pro and Aniblocks.
Thanks for looking.

Image Attachments
sync01.jpg

Posted: 14 July 2013 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-12

This is my first test animation render using the Reality 2 LUX renderer from DAZ Studio.The Aniblocks and lip sync are from another experiment.

30 seconds per frame render time @ 150 samples

Thanks for looking.

Image Attachments
grampaRant.jpg

2 of 3