Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
No Daz Free Models?
Posted: 03 May 2013 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2007-01-29

DId Daz stop doing free models? like absolutely free? Because it seems the only free models out anymore require you to buy something else first, which kinda defeats the purpose of “free”.

Posted: 03 May 2013 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2826
Joined  2006-07-31

As it is right now, there is no “completely free” freebies at DAZ3D but if you PC member, you get all weekly freebies without a need of purchase, and additionally an extra monthly freebie with no need of purchase.

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 03 May 2013 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2007-01-29

Nah, I’m never doing PC again. I went through hell with support over my membership. Even with evidence supporting that I should have had a membership, they decided to essentially call me a liar and cancel it anyway. Way to make a customer feel valued there. I guess I’ll just save my money and wait and hope they decide to do something for non PC in he future. though doubtful.

Posted: 04 May 2013 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  965
Joined  2011-05-19

The PC has new management, new practices, and new policies.  After a technically disrupted year I think you will find this is not the. P C of yesteryear.  Its getting better every day

Signature 

Enjoy my games & freebie content created with DAZ 3D:

3dSkyDome.com - Curiosity killed the browser, 3d R&D

3Dnld My Freebies & Games - Farm Peeps Farm Theme 3D Stuff

Posted: 04 May 2013 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2656
Joined  2004-04-25

You do get Genesis with DS4.5.  I know, I know.  Genesis is pretty much tied to DS but after having a conversation with someone in Marketing (not DAZ but my own employers) you would be amazed at how convoluted some of their reasoning is. 

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 04 May 2013 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2676
Joined  2010-11-30
icprncss - 04 May 2013 10:37 AM

You do get Genesis with DS4.5.  I know, I know.  Genesis is pretty much tied to DS but after having a conversation with someone in Marketing (not DAZ but my own employers) you would be amazed at how convoluted some of their reasoning is.

The reasoning is reasonably straightforward: give away the first trial item (in this case, Genesis) and make money on the add-ons for that item.

(Or “the first hit’s free” - there’s a reason some people here call themselves “Dazaholics”...)

It would be nice if they’d do the same with some of the other items. For example, I know the Morphing Fantasy Dress is $1.99 if you’re in the Platinum Club, but that isn’t the same as free… (and I wouldn’t care anyway, since I already have most versions of the MFD).

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge, or the RRRR, or any of the other contests. I think Jaderail would have wanted that.

Posted: 04 May 2013 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  694
Joined  2003-10-09
Dream Cutter - 04 May 2013 08:54 AM

The PC has new management, new practices, and new policies.  After a technically disrupted year I think you will find this is not the. P C of yesteryear.  Its getting better every day

I agree with “not the P C of yesteryear” statement, but it applies to DAZ in total too.  However, the “getting better every day” platitude begs the question “for whom”? 

Who doesn’t realize that DAZ has been plugging all the money leaks, by upping prices, reducing service, not worrying about forum functionality losses and essentially ignoring Bryce, Mimic, Hexagon, and Carrara.  While we angry villagers with torches and pitchforks were beating on the gates of the old DAZdom it was conquered through the back door by a corporate mentality and turned into marketing zombies.  I’m not so sure I want in, anymore. 8-o

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 04 May 2013 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-19

Without any insight to DAZ’s business beyond what I have observed here past few years,  it seems to me that Genesis and DS 4 was a massive investment in R&D and the follow on strategy to grow the market (by giving away the DS Bryce and Hexagon) was a expense that required the company to concentrate its resources.The company also spent R&D money and embraced in its “competition” by sharing technology and establishing interfaces with third party 3D applications.  If the strategy worked should be in a good posture to benefit from and renew R&D broader scope (to include Carrara and Hex) supported by a larger consumer base. 
The enthusiasm and concern voiced n the forums on the topic ultimately emphasizes to that company “that we too are stakeholders in DAZ success”.

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2013 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2005-07-16
Dream Cutter - 04 May 2013 08:54 AM

The only thing I have seen so far is making the non-PC pay for what used to be weekly freebies, or fork out an x amount per month to get them. I’ve been a PC member for quite some time, but had to stop doing so due to my health and reduced income because of it.

Sorry for being more then sceptical here, as they ONLY reward those here that keep the money coming in.

The boards are in dire need of colour scheme’s, instead of this icky white crap and support is at an absolute minimum from the looks of it.
Until they start addressing those shortcomings, I certainly will not rejoin.

Signature 

My Karma ran over your Dogma

Scatha G11 freebie gun
http://www.sharecg.com/v/42558/view/11/Poser/ScathaG11

Posted: 04 May 2013 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-19

You think the PC Members need to have customizable skins for the forum?  I’m old school I just plaster a sheet of this stuff on my screen when I dont want to see icky white crap.

Image Attachments
2192331470_c75f5a1d36[1].jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2013 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10939
Joined  2007-11-06

...the simple solutions are usually the best.  cheese

That’s how they “colourised” some of the early video games.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 04 May 2013 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-19

You mean my trusty Vectrex?  Its been banged and bruised, sits dusty in my garage but 30 years later the dang thing still ticks when my timex gave out long ago wink

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2013 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  694
Joined  2003-10-09
Kyoto Kid - 04 May 2013 05:59 PM

...the simple solutions are usually the best.  cheese

That’s how they “colourised” some of the early video games.

In fact, in the 50’s and early 60’s you could even buy colored plastic sheets to paste over your early B/W TV screens.  The sheets had three color stripes.  You put the bluish stripe at the top and the greenish stripe at the bottom to simulate sky and ground.  Good solution for viewing the original B/W broadcasts of “Rawhide” or old John Wayne movies.  But kinda wierd for most everything else. 8-o

To take the idea to it’s completion, the early CBS method* of broadcasting analog color TV used three color filters (Red, Blue, Green) on a rotating wheel in front of the small B/W TV screen.  The wheel was kept in synchronization with a similar wheel in front of the live TV camera in the studio.  It worked (sort of) but had irritating problems of its own.  It was quickly replaced by the all electronic NBC method (we know it as NTSC) by the late 50s that was used here in the US until just a couple of years ago when we migrated away from analog transmission and went all digital.

* http://colortelevision.info/CBS_Chronology_rev_h_edit.htm

http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/pop_mech_5-51.pdf

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 04 May 2013 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2676
Joined  2010-11-30
scatha - 04 May 2013 05:09 PM

The boards are in dire need of colour scheme’s, instead of this icky white crap and support is at an absolute minimum from the looks of it.

I rather like the simplicity of the white colour scheme… but I liked the cover to The Beatles’ “White Album”, too.

And I’d rather see functioning galleries than a way to change the background colour…

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge, or the RRRR, or any of the other contests. I think Jaderail would have wanted that.

Posted: 04 May 2013 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2003-10-09

Well, we also seem to have the usual problem of folks not really communicating with each other. Tonight, a particular item shows on the store page at 100% off. Go to the item in question and it’s tagged 50%. Maybe there’s some additional thing you’re supposed to do, but it’s not mentioned anywhere, so I can only account this to being yet another store mishap.

(And yes, sent a support ticket about this — but this is in case anyone else discovered this anomaly.)

Image Attachments
Screen_shot_2013-05-04_at_10.26_.53_PM_(2)_.png

Posted: 04 May 2013 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2005-07-16

Seems to be fixed, it now shows as 50% off….

Signature 

My Karma ran over your Dogma

Scatha G11 freebie gun
http://www.sharecg.com/v/42558/view/11/Poser/ScathaG11

1 of 2