Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Any way to change the font size of menu items, etc.?
Posted: 02 May 2013 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2006-11-05

I’m taking a look at Carrara 8 Pro again. I recently upgraded my machine and am now running Windows 7 64bit.  I downloaded the 8.5 beta, and the menu and list fonts are microscopic - about 6 points max. This is just unreadable and an instant headache - no joke. I’ve tried numerous font options under Preferences, and while the clearest font is probably Verdana, it’s still unreadably microscopic.

My native screen resolution is 1440 by 900 and I’ve tried changing that, using the Windows 7 option to make items on the screen larger, etc. Nothing seems to really change those microscopic fonts.

Am I missing something? Is the size of the fonts in the beta different than in 8.0?  Because I can’t use the software if I can’t read the menu and list items without instant and significant eye strain even when moving in to 6-8 inches from the screen.

Am I doing something wrong here? Is there a font size option somewhere that I’m missing? I’ve googled this problem and can’t really find anything…

Thanks for any and all info! smile

Posted: 02 May 2013 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1825
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Firewarden

Welcome smile

Q: Have you tried adjusting the screen resolution ?

Q: what size is your display screen (in inches or cm)

Q: Is Carrara the only program you’re having difficulty in reading the fonts with,. or do the fonts seem small in all your applications.

Posted: 02 May 2013 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-05
3DAGE - 02 May 2013 08:06 AM

Hi Firewarden

Welcome smile

Thanks! smile  Here are the answers to your question

Q: Have you tried adjusting the screen resolution ?
Yes, I’ve tried several settings. The fonts don’t seem to change to any marked degree.
I also tried the settings to make things smaller or bigger overall in the display setting.
I tried changing the fonts to see if any were larger than the others in the Prefs menu.

Q: what size is your display screen (in inches or cm)

19” Dell S199WFP (Analog) - as it’s listed in my display properties

Q: Is Carrara the only program you’re having difficulty in reading the fonts with,. or do the fonts seem small in all your applications.

Daz Studio also has very small fonts, but there’s less need for the menus in that program so I’m currently surviving, but would love to be able to fix the fonts in D|S also. Microsoft Outlook & Office, Photoshop, and Gimp all have normal sized fonts in the interface/menus.

I just upgraded my CPU, motherboard, graphics card, and memory, etc. Also went from XP to Windows 7. So I’m not quite used to it, but I’ve fiddled with the display settings quite a bit trying to enlarge the fonts in Carrara. 

Just wondering if I’m missing something or doing something really noobish.

Posted: 02 May 2013 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-05

Going to try to upload a pic of my screen here…

Image Attachments
Carrara_UI.jpg

Posted: 02 May 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2006-02-03

Aye, the font in Carrara 8 Pro is too small to read for my old eyes.

I changed to a different font style and it helps a bit.  The texture room is the worst for me, that fault gets so small it’s impossible for me to read.

Image Attachments
font_change.png

Posted: 02 May 2013 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6177
Joined  2006-08-27

Have you tried new glasses? wink

Looks about the same size as my screen which is set to 1280X1024. Is the screen a CRT, LCD or something? The issue with the screen shot is, that it doesn’t say what the physical size of the screen is. You could have a really great, high res. display, but if it’s only 14” it’s going to look tiny.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 02 May 2013 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1825
Joined  2004-08-24

Thanks for the info, and the pic…

I’m afraid that looks pretty normal to me,.. see pic.. ..my screen is set to 1280 x 1024 (21inch CRT)

Also,. in Win 7,. you may want to consider switching off Aero, and all the other animated screen stuff, as it takes up memory and processing power.,.

Lower setting will make things appear larger,. but a bigger screen will give you more physical area.

Image Attachments
screen1.jpg

Posted: 02 May 2013 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-05

Yeah, it’s a 19” monitor; I put that in a separate post, sorry… I tried 1280x800 (think I missed that size when experimenting earlier) and it’s a bit better, but still pretty small. But I may have to go with that. Just seems crazy there’s so much UI space and no way to change the fonts. I may try to get a slightly larger monitor, as it’s on a rotating/moving arm that can handle a bit bigger.

I have old eyes, as some others in the thread do. I actually have a new prescription that I haven’t had filled, but it’s only the difference of 20:25 to 20:20 in one eye, and I hate to pay the money for so little change. And not sure that at 6 point-size type, it would make a huge enough difference to justify the cost. (Did I mention glasses prices are a racket?!)

I will look for Aero on the Windows 7 and stop it. I’ve only been using Windows 7 about a week and so pretty much ignorant there. Not as bad as I thought it might be, tho!

Any other ideas to improve font are appreciated!

Posted: 02 May 2013 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2007-07-31

Font size has always bugged me too - I use 1600x900 display -anything less seems fuzzy on my asus 19” LCD. Full high definitio is just way too small.

One thing you can try - play around with interface colour settings as text to background contrast can make it easier to read.
Unfortunately Carrara colour settings controls are a bit weird and it takes time to figure out whats right for you.

Last resort is windows magnifier found in Start/All programs/ accesories / ease of access   LOL

Signature 

http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!home/mainPage

Posted: 03 May 2013 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  238
Joined  2006-01-21

Hi,
I have to add that investing in a good monitor set-up is something that pays for itself in a very short space of time.
It’s worth stretching the budget on, mainly for health and comfort but also for productivity.
It’s an investment that lasts over multiple PC generations too.

I have a 1920x1200 26inch screen which I picked up cheap by watching and waiting for sales on various PC websites. I also use my 1080p 32 inch TV as a second monitor sometimes, which stands in as a huge monitor (that’s mainly for gaming though), plus it comes in handy as a television too.

Trust me, that next chance to upgrade you get, think about your primary interface to your machine.

(I’ve just realised, this is a large part of why I like Carrara so much, the menus and fonts look about the right size to me.)

Signature 

http://roguepilot.deviantart.com/
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RoguePilot
http://www.ShareCG.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=RoguePilot

Posted: 03 May 2013 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6476
Joined  2007-12-04
RoguePilot - 03 May 2013 01:48 AM

Hi,
I have to add that investing in a good monitor set-up is something that pays for itself in a very short space of time.
It’s worth stretching the budget on, mainly for health and comfort but also for productivity.
It’s an investment that lasts over multiple PC generations too.

I have a 1920x1200 26inch screen which I picked up cheap by watching and waiting for sales on various PC websites. I also use my 1080p 32 inch TV as a second monitor sometimes, which stands in as a huge monitor (that’s mainly for gaming though), plus it comes in handy as a television too.

Trust me, that next chance to upgrade you get, think about your primary interface to your machine.

(I’ve just realised, this is a large part of why I like Carrara so much, the menus and fonts look about the right size to me.)

I feel exactly the same way. Except that I’ve never used my TV as a monitor! lol
My son uses his new HD Widescreen as his monitor and it works really good. He just has a laptop, but it has HDMI out, so…

Yeah, mine is just 1680 x 1050, but Carrara looks great on it. Words are just the right size for me.
I was kicking around the idea of getting two, but then I’d also need a new desk. I heard that Carrara doesn’t really make the best use of two monitors, anyways.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 03 May 2013 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Okay I just tested the following, and it works on the whole computer, including Carrara. Before doing this, however, you might want to make sure that Carrara is is to Full Screen mode, or you’ll just see a corner of it.

In Win7, right-click the desktop background and choose “Personalize”

To the lower left of that window, under “See Also”, Choose “Display” and pick which magnification you want. I tried 150% and it made a huge difference. Perhaps after work, I’ll dig around more to where you can actually change the font sizes that Windows uses. I nkow it’s really simple, because I always use it to make mine smaller. I don’t like my fonts big. Speeking of which, the change I’ve mention above requires log off, so I better fix it before I head out.
Hope this helps.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 03 May 2013 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

In returning my Win 7 setting to the normal size, I noticed that, when you get to the screen I mention above, after clicking on “Display”, the upper left of the screen has options for customizing the size of your text and adjusting your clear type font.

Good luck. I’ll check back L8r

Signature 

Posted: 03 May 2013 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1156
Joined  2004-11-07

Why are people trying to find a work around for this? I have been asking for a font size setting since C5; when I first got carrara. Every build I put it on the wish list. I’ve had to come to the conclusion that even this simple thing is beyond DAZ’s devs to do. Practically ever other app I have, font size as part of the UI preferences. Even video games.

I have a 26inch screen, I have my glasses on, I can read the type/fonts in this forum just fine. But I have one of those flat magnifiers right here to put up in front of my screen when using carrara; well to read through the content browser anyway. Or I’ll put it up when reading the submenus.

I should not have to do this. Is it really that difficult to set carrara up so you can set the font size?

Posted: 03 May 2013 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2011-01-03
firewarden - 02 May 2013 10:40 AM

I have old eyes, as some others in the thread do. I actually have a new prescription that I haven’t had filled, but it’s only the difference of 20:25 to 20:20 in one eye, and I hate to pay the money for so little change. And not sure that at 6 point-size type, it would make a huge enough difference to justify the cost. (Did I mention glasses prices are a racket?!)

My eyes are only middle-aged but they suck and always have. It’s off-topic but yes, glasses are a racket.

Back on point…I am using Carrara on 24” screens and usually set to 1920x1200. Using a 6-point type would be a strain on even the healthiest of peepers. You may want to consider dropping your screen resolution if switching off Aero doesn’t improve things. Make sure that ClearType is set correctly too.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 03 May 2013 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2011-01-03
ManStan - 03 May 2013 06:01 AM

Why are people trying to find a work around for this? I have been asking for a font size setting since C5; when I first got carrara. Every build I put it on the wish list. I’ve had to come to the conclusion that even this simple thing is beyond DAZ’s devs to do. Practically ever other app I have, font size as part of the UI preferences.

I gotta side with ya on this one. I love Carrara as an app; but the UI blows chunks.

There’s stuff that you just have to suffer with. I used to think it was because DAZ had to maintain portable source code between the PC and Mac—but now I’m not so sure, Photoshop and LightWave don’t seem to have portability issues. So this probably does come down to the DAZ devs…

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

1 of 3