Digital Art Zone

Any free caustics/light gels (gobos)?
Posted: 14 June 2012 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  829
Joined  2003-10-09

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone knows of where I might find some free light gels or caustic maps that you can load as a texture on an Uberspot light. I only have a few that come with the Uberspot, and the only ones I could find online were swimming pool caustic maps (and most of them weren’t even images, they were settings for high-end renderers). I’d like ones that could simulate cloud shadows, trees, windows, and other environmental shadows if possible.

Thanks in advance.

SnowS

Signature 

“It answers all the questions, finally, but not really, but kind of”
- Bob Denver

my deviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com

Smacky icon by Xamag

Posted: 15 June 2012 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1308
Joined  2006-03-14

You can easily make your own.  They’re just jpgs.  For UberSpot you use a 1:1 ratio image (e.g. 1000x1000), for UberPoint you use a 2:1 image (1000x500)

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 15 June 2012 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  829
Joined  2003-10-09

Oh I know, I was just wondering if there were any already out there.  smile

Does the size of the map matter much or is it the distance of the light from the scene that affects the clarity of the gel? I used a sharp tree gobo with the Uberspot but it was from a decent distance away. The gel rendered nicely, but it was very soft and blurry.

Thanks though!

Signature 

“It answers all the questions, finally, but not really, but kind of”
- Bob Denver

my deviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com

Smacky icon by Xamag

Posted: 16 June 2012 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2007-01-08

Distance from light is the biggest factor for fuzziness, the closer the maps are to the lights the sharper the shadows.

Posted: 01 December 2013 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2701
Joined  2004-07-06

Can anyone point me in the direction of the Uberspotlight?  I’ve tried looking in and searching the Smart Content and also looking in and searching the Content Library using the term Uber.  But so far not turned up the spot.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 01 December 2013 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2013-04-06

As far as I know, the uber spot and point lights have to be purchased from the store, either in a bundle or standalone…while I have been known to be wrong before…like thinking Blender was going to be super easy to learn….

Signature 

My Playground

Posted: 01 December 2013 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2701
Joined  2004-07-06
mcjam24 - 01 December 2013 09:08 AM

As far as I know, the uber spot and point lights have to be purchased from the store, either in a bundle or standalone…while I have been known to be wrong before…like thinking Blender was going to be super easy to learn….

Thanks for the info!  Yeah, try Octane?  Setting up a scene in Octane - by David Brinnen

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D