Digital Art Zone

3 of 5
BRYCE RENDERING CHALLENGE         May           “UNEXPECTED”
Posted: 10 May 2013 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1430
Joined  2011-09-25

@Dave:  I think the additional clouds tell more of what’s happening.  From the looks of the clouds, the ships are coming out of a fog or heavy haze and into sunlight.  This helps the viewer better understand what’s occurring.

Gave the Borg interior another go.  Tried several different things to get a better render, but it wasn’t until I used Premium effects and rendered at 256 RPP that it looked much better.  Then it was off to GIMP for a bit of a touch-up.  As I remember the interior of the Borg Cube, it was rather dark and foreboding, and that’s how this turned out after a bit of trying untested GIMP actions.  You be the judge(s).

Image Attachments
Cube_n_Cube_4_6_Sig.png
 Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 10 May 2013 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2006-05-26

Wow Guss! Extremely well done!

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 10 May 2013 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2013-02-23
Horo - 08 May 2013 01:26 AM

Welcome jonathan, nice to see you around in this friendly place. Good start. Here’s a small tip: if you have a scene from which you want to take over objects into another, just select what you need, group them, copy to the clipboard (ctrl-c ), open the destination document and paste (ctrl-v) the stuff into it, then ungroup. If you quit Bryce, what is in the clipboard is deleted. Neither does it work to have two instances of Bryce open and copy from one to the other.

Thank you Horo the tip worked!  Here is the result.  Composition is a bit boring so I am going to try to add some interest while sticking to the same theme.

The foliage is still dull and lifeless though—even when rendered close up.  No transparency and few or no specular highlights.  I found your (and Rashad Carter’s) 2009 mini tutorial on modeling trees and ecosystems online so will see if I can absorb anything from that.  If you have anything else about rendering foliage out there for free or purchase please let me know.

One oddity with the palm imported from Daz is that just opening the material editor for the palm seemingly destroys the link to the transparency map, causing it to look like a banana tree like in my first post.  Do you know of any way to avoid that for imported foliage with transparency maps?

Image Attachments
Dunes_with_palm_and_rex.jpgPalm_closeup.jpg

Posted: 10 May 2013 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3456
Joined  2004-10-01

@jonathan - good to hear that it helped. Now for the transparency - it usually works over the bridge from Studio to Bryce. I have just moved some flowers over. Now check the 3 points:

1: Click here to open the drop down.

2: Make sure Blend Transparency is ticked.

3: Make sure the dot in Transparency is set to the texture for the palm leaves.

Not visible because hidden behind the drop down is the texture. There are 3 thumbnails. The left one has the colours, the middle one the alpha map (and this is responsible for transparency) and the right one for bump.

Image Attachments
Transp.jpg
 Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 10 May 2013 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2011-03-04

Wow, this challenge is moving much faster than the other one! Great work by everyone!

I, on the other hand, am still flooded with work and have had almost no time to do anything in Bryce :(
I just hope I can finish the project I started a few days ago for this challenge!

Posted: 10 May 2013 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-02-23
Horo - 10 May 2013 02:08 PM

@jonathan - good to hear that it helped. Now for the transparency - it usually works over the bridge from Studio to Bryce. I have just moved some flowers over. Now check the 3 points:

1: Click here to open the drop down.

2: Make sure Blend Transparency is ticked.

3: Make sure the dot in Transparency is set to the texture for the palm leaves.

Not visible because hidden behind the drop down is the texture. There are 3 thumbnails. The left one has the colours, the middle one the alpha map (and this is responsible for transparency) and the right one for bump.

Thank you!  I will try the full menu as soon as I can, it may be a while . . part way there for now.

Image Attachments
Dunes_transparent_palm.jpg

Posted: 10 May 2013 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@Rashad:  Thank you very much, but I can only take credit for the post work, the rest is just material, camera placement, and my fingers crossed.  Oh, and TLBKlaus’s setup.  If you saw this image the first time I posted it, you’ll notice it was foggy(?) and didn’t have enough crispness.  GIMP is the only editor I can afford, and use it only for resizing images and as of late, putting my sig onto my images.  So I played around with the available controls and came up with what you see.  I’m an extremely happy camper with the results.  So, is resistance futile?

I’ve been playing around with the Lens Group for the Spherical Mapper and have discovered those materials/textures with building/techno features work best.  The colored patterns don’t have what it takes for what I’m doing.  Here’s one that really surprised me when it rendered.

Image Attachments
Star_n_Cube_5_Sig.png
 Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.

Posted: 11 May 2013 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-04-24

Title: This is Going to Hurt

All objects came with Bryce7.1
Only post work was the addition of a tag line and the conversion from .bmp to .jpg

Image Attachments
Baddayxx1.jpg

Posted: 13 May 2013 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

I’ve been working a bit for this challenge. This WIP needs still a bit of care.

Image Attachments
Arch-wip1.jpg
 Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 13 May 2013 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15603
Joined  2003-10-09

I’ve been working some more on my “Unextected Birth of a New Land”

Didn’t manage to get any more quite such clear faces in my volumetrics, but there are a couple of hazy ones.

Image Attachments
birth_of_a_new_land.jpg
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 13 May 2013 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@mx4b2:  Nice work.  Yeah, that would hurt.

@Horo:  Interesting piece of work.

@Pam:  I think that one hits the nail on the head.  With an eruption that close to water there’d be steam from lava going into the water.

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2013 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-02-23

An unexpected study in palm trees:  Left to right, Lisa’s, Bryce’s, Monsanto’s.  Monsanto’s is a splice of Lisa’s truck to Rigged Hand imported as a .obj from Blend Swap, via Blender.

Image Attachments
Study_in_Palms.jpg

Posted: 14 May 2013 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

The leaves on the right one look quite solid, like hands. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2013 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2557
Joined  2004-07-06

So if you want to know what was unexpected.  You’ll have to watch the video wink

Bryce Landscaping - Geocrafting guide - by David Brinnen

Click on image to view full size.

Image Attachments
Isle_in_fog_5.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 14 May 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2011-05-02

The secret life of the terrain editor,.. thanks for the vid David, excellent stuff, sometimes I use the picture editor to blend the terrains or even to copy various stages so as to go back after experiments, as I do with the animation panel sometimes, I like watching you work, it really helps to get a grasp, great to see the overhang formation develop with the lattice, I have had some success with Autodesk Meshmixer to obtain similar structures although here it is not relevant as it’s far more interesting to create inside of Bryce.

3 of 5