Digital Art Zone

38 of 42
Luxus discussion II
Posted: 05 March 2014 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 556 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2005-10-21

Hi guys,

Not sure if this has been covered before, but I found a problem with the way Luxus maps HDR images to the Luxrender infinite light.

The HDR maps are rendering in reverse (I only noticed this recently when rendering over a background with writing in it !).

I have mentioned it on Luxrender.net and they have given me a local fix (by editing the generated.lxs file), see this thread for details -

http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10918

I don’t know how to contact the Luxus writer, is it through the general Daz help system ?

In any case if Luxus reads this, you need to do this apparently to scale the map in the other direction -

if mirrorTransform:
      # correct worldmap orientation
      lux_context.transformBegin(file=Files.MAIN)
      lux_context.scale(-1, 1, 1)

I also noticed (although nothing to do with Luxus but related), that if you map the LDR image from the HDR set onto a sphere to help with aligning the scene (see this thread -http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/23209/) , then the sphere is also reversed.

It can be fixed by doing the following=

Helper Ball, Z scale = -100%
Environment map,  Y Rotation = -90

Start rendering that and stop as soon as its loaded, then edit the .lxs file with the fix and open it directly in Luxrender.  Now Luxrender will render exactly what you see in the Daz window, with all the shadows, sun and IBL in the right place.

<edit> you don’t have to edit the .lxs file, just reverse the HDR Environment in Daz, doh !
Helper Ball, X scale = -100%
Environment map,  Y Rotation = -90, X scale = -100%

Posted: 05 March 2014 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 557 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Here’s the another one…this one I played around with the various Lens Effects options in the Luxrender GUI.

With those, it’s actually easier to add a little ‘atmosphere’ to the flame.  I also made the flame ‘thinner’ and added an IES profile to it…I used one for an LED candle bulb that claims to be ‘exactly like a candle flame’.

Image Attachments
flame2.jpg
 Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 08 March 2014 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 558 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1119
Joined  2010-09-19

Here’s a wee video about converting a conventional skydome into a Luxus ambient light…  http://youtu.be/-sF6Rgclrwo

Not exactly a slick video, I know, but you’re at least seeing me doing it in real time, including the cock-ups LOL  LOL  LOL

Signature 

My deviantART page
My ShareCG freebies
Some of my music

Posted: 08 March 2014 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 559 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2655
Joined  2003-12-06
Jabba101 - 08 March 2014 08:26 AM

Here’s a wee video about converting a conventional skydome into a Luxus ambient light…  http://youtu.be/-sF6Rgclrwo

Almost exactly the way I did it the other day. One difference, I used the “null” LuxRender material type setting instead of “all with switcher”.

And I never used that “Estimate Settings” button before; useful. And the technique works with skyboxes as well, excellent!

One other thing, have you tried turning up the Light Power setting (just below the Light Enable switch)? Leaving it at 100W really doesn’t give the render a lot of light power to work with, I’ve found turning this up to at least 1000W gives a bit of leeway to adjust other light parameters in the Lux GUI.

And don’t forget to check surfaces for high Specular Color values, there are a lot of them in the Viking Village, and they end up looking very washed-out if you leave them unchanged when you toss the scene into LuxRender.

The only real problem I’m having is the objects in the scene look as if they’re lit under a dull overcast sky, while the light-emitting sky is between slightly and very blown-out, depending on the manual Tone Mapping settings I use.

Here’s the sort of results I’m getting. Skydome light at 1000W, and all surfaces checked for high Specular.

Image Attachments
Viking.jpg
 Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 29 March 2014 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 560 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-12-06

Not a lot happening in this thread recently. Anyone got answers for my previous questions?

Got a couple of new queries. I’m running a test render of the outside corridor in the Loft 4 Lease, and I’ve spotted a big black triangle (up near the ceiling at the far end of the corridor). Looking at the mesh, it’s all one poly; is this a reversed normal, or what? And how can I fix it?

Also, I’ve noticed that manually converting a material with bump is behaving oddly. When I let Luxus auto-convert, I’m never sure if I can see that the bump is being applied properly. When I convert manually, the bump map applies, but the bump value is always 1.0 — whatever the original min/max values might be — and I can’t see any visible effect in the render. Plugging in the proper numbers manually does produce visible bump, and it seems to be right. This can’t be right, surely.

Image Attachments
Corridor-01.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 29 March 2014 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 561 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Yeah that looks like a geometry problem…

Not quite sure on the bump.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 15 April 2014 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 562 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-12-06

I must have kept missing this in all the manual and wiki pages I’ve read over the last few months. Last night I started a test render of one figure in the West Park Day Room with all the textures de-specularised (yes, that is a word… now) and the covers of all the strip lights set as mesh lights. I stopped it after about 16 hours and not quite 200 S/p, and the render was still extremely speckled.

Just re-lit the scene with a single large plane mesh light just under the ceiling, rendered with everything else the same, and after just an hour and 50 S/p it’s looking not quite finished, but much crisper and cleaner than the overnight run. Also the best shiny metal surfaces I’ve managed to get so far since I bought Luxus. Have to remember this trick the next time I light an indoor scene.

Signature 

Posted: 25 May 2014 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 563 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2013-01-30

Problem with IES profiles.

I am trying to use an IES profile with Luxus, but I seem to be running into a problem.

Is the following procedure correct?

1. Create a plane
2. Apply Luxus light settings
3. Choose goniometric
4. Use the LuxRender Goniometric Light - Map drop down menu to select the IES pofile that you want.

I am doing this but I get this error message from LuxRender (see attached image)

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Image Attachments
IES.JPG

Posted: 29 May 2014 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 564 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2011-05-13

Were are the setting for jewelry and hair? Because it renders the Daz3d shaders render white.
I’m looking for the settings like in this pic.

Image Attachments
vase_test.jpg

Posted: 31 May 2014 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 565 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2013-01-30
mjc1016 - 05 March 2014 06:35 PM

Here’s the another one…this one I played around with the various Lens Effects options in the Luxrender GUI.

With those, it’s actually easier to add a little ‘atmosphere’ to the flame.  I also made the flame ‘thinner’ and added an IES profile to it…I used one for an LED candle bulb that claims to be ‘exactly like a candle flame’.

Hey MJC1016, may I ask how you applied the IES profile to the flame?  I have been trying to use IES profiles with Luxus but without any luck.  Thanks!

Posted: 09 June 2014 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 566 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  482
Joined  2013-02-02
colingmoser - 25 May 2014 02:03 AM

Problem with IES profiles.

I am trying to use an IES profile with Luxus, but I seem to be running into a problem.

Is the following procedure correct?

1. Create a plane
2. Apply Luxus light settings
3. Choose goniometric
4. Use the LuxRender Goniometric Light - Map drop down menu to select the IES pofile that you want.

I am doing this but I get this error message from LuxRender (see attached image)

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

1. Create a plane
2. Apply Luxus Material settings
3. Choose area light
4. Turn on the light
5. Use the IES Light parameter in the surface settings.

Signature 

-Spheric

Posted: 09 June 2014 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 567 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-12-06
SphericLabs - 09 June 2014 09:03 AM

3. Choose area light

Which option is “area”? That’s the name of an omnifreaker Uber light type for 3Delight — there’s no such thing in the dropdown for selecting LuxRender light settings for a mesh object (different from the settings for a Luxus-converted material). In fact, I can’t get an IES parameter to appear at all unless I do add the Luxus settings as a material with light properties, not as a meshlight.

Incidentally, is there a better source of IES data than the list of links in the LuxRender wiki? A lot of those links lead to lighting manufacturers’ PDF files of paper documents showing pictures of IES graphs. Somehow I don’t think that would work in Luxus…

Signature 

Posted: 09 June 2014 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 568 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2004-11-12
SpottedKitty - 09 June 2014 05:25 PM
SphericLabs - 09 June 2014 09:03 AM

3. Choose area light

Which option is “area”? That’s the name of an omnifreaker Uber light type for 3Delight — there’s no such thing in the dropdown for selecting LuxRender light settings for a mesh object (different from the settings for a Luxus-converted material). In fact, I can’t get an IES parameter to appear at all unless I do add the Luxus settings as a material with light properties, not as a meshlight.

Incidentally, is there a better source of IES data than the list of links in the LuxRender wiki? A lot of those links lead to lighting manufacturers’ PDF files of paper documents showing pictures of IES graphs. Somehow I don’t think that would work in Luxus…

I think the confusion here may be that a plane used as a light (mesh light) in Lux are often referred to as area lights. Mesh lights (area lights) have to have a material/shader setting making them blackbodies ... or light emitters.

Going by what is said explicitly in the material menu for Luxus, the instructions would be modified to include the info in italics below::
1. Create a plane
2. Apply Luxus Material settings (create the Luxus - Lux Render Materials for the plane using the surfaces tab, make sure to tick/check “Light Parameters”)
3. Choose area light (Select “light” in the LuxRender Materials in your shader tree - see attached)
4. Turn on the light (LuxRender Light - Enable .... also on the attached image)
5. Use the IES Light parameter in the surface settings (see also on attached image).

Hope this helps and I didn’t just confuse things even more.

Image Attachments
Luxus_Light.JPG
 Signature 

My Rendo Gallery

Posted: 09 June 2014 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 569 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  482
Joined  2013-02-02

Yes.  What dustrider said.

Sorry should have said.
1. Create a plane
2. Apply Luxus Material settings
3. Choose null as the material type
4. Make sure Light Parameters is enabled
5. click ok
6. In Surfaces Pane, turn on the LuxRender Light on your material.
7. Set the IES Light parameter to your ies file.

Signature 

-Spheric

Posted: 09 June 2014 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 570 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-12-06
SphericLabs - 09 June 2014 06:14 PM

3. Choose null as the material type

I was never quite sure about this — I’ve usually ignored instructions that end up meaning (without always saying) to use the “apply all” setting, as I don’t want to clutter up the surfaces tab with irrelevant junk. I’ve been using the “null” setting for all meshlights for a while now, and it does usually seem to have worked.

... And I’ve just come across something else. This is Maclean’s Town Hall scene with the materials tweaked for LuxRender-friendliness, and a 2-meter square plane with normals pointing down just below the ceiling, and a square-panel IES file applied just as you described. Why am I getting light with a bias off to one side? It doesn’t go off sideways like that if I just set up a plain meshlight. I’ve only let the render run to 15 S/p, but the light bias is clear.

One other query; those spotlights above the stage have a common lens material in all four lights. Can I apply an IES to that material, or would Something Else Weird™ happen?

Image Attachments
townhall-01.jpg
 Signature 

38 of 42