WIP thread New Users Contest - May 2013
Posted: 01 May 2013 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2196
Joined  2011-11-16
Yes, that could work well also, for a lot of images smile
 Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 01 May 2013 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
lequeeta - 01 May 2013 06:04 PM
Thank you Gedd for the tip I will give that a try I would laso like to learn about gels in lighting i thing in a forest it would look neat. : )
Do you know anything about the Golden rules of art? Using math and examples from hundreds of years we now understand how to DRAW the eyes to places in a render/picture just by having them in the right place to start with.

And no it's not a PLUG for the Item I did for DS4.5. Just asking.
[ Edited: 01 May 2013 09:45 PM by Jaderail ]
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 02 May 2013 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1658
Joined  2013-04-23
Moment of Thoughts

Still trying to learn my way around Daz, not to mention this whole mysterium that is lightning, but this is what I've come up with for the contest so far.

I am a bit unsure if it is within the rules concerning nudity or not, I personally think it is but I am also very aware that I am not a good judge when it comes to how much is ok. So if this picture is breaking that rule I will of course take it down and than either do some changes or start a new one smile

Oh and a big, big thanks going out to Dreamlight, without his lesson Great Art Now 5_1 Lightning I would never have been able to make this, so a warm hug is sent your way !

Image Attachments
Moment_of_thoughts.png
 Signature 

My Art Thread  **  My Gallery  **  My Deviant Art  (includes mature content)

Playful Ferret, Proud Wizard Companion of BWC

Posted: 02 May 2013 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7984
Joined  2006-03-19
Your image is fine in regards to nudity. Your just not allowed to show bare breast or butts. As far as the lighting goes your off to a good start. May I suggest that you add a light that is pretty dim in front of the face to highlight it a bit.
 Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

Posted: 02 May 2013 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-04-23
May I suggest that you add a light that is pretty dim in front of the face to highlight it a bit.

Don't think this is what one could call dim... but this is what I came up with for now, only using spotlights so far since I actually haven't been able to figure out htose uber light thingies *sheepish smile* They just refuse to work for me smile

Added a floor and a wall, and got a oddly shaped shadow on the wall. Any idea why? *curious* (wall is made of a cube, and the floor from a pane)

/C
Image Attachments
moment_of_thoughts2.png
 Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2013 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6152
Joined  2006-08-27
I try and remember that lighting isn't just for illumination. It can sell the scene, it can also help provide focus, add drama and create some really nice special effects. It can also over-power your main subject, wash out your backgrounds or become a distraction. As to the latter, I have plenty of experience! wink

Light reacts with everything. This is important to remember when working with textures/shaders, the 3D space and/or set and whatever atmosphere you have (if your software can simulate atmosphere).

I like using lighting (or lack of it) to create the illusion of a larger space. I use Carrara, so I also tend to incorporate volumetric clouds and such in conjunction with lighting when I want to give the impression of a large or cavernous space without actually putting together a large and cavernous set. Especially when the focus is on something close-up.

Here's a couple examples that I did that I think are good examples of simple or non-existent sets that use lighting to sell the space.

Image Attachments
enterprise-in-drydock.jpgThe-Guardian.jpgCaptured.jpg
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 03 May 2013 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2005-02-08
@carola.ottosson: That lighting already looks nice. I'm jealous! wink
@evilproducer: That last pic is really creepy and cool.
 Signature 

the Evil Kitten Project

Posted: 03 May 2013 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6156
Joined  2005-08-29
carola.ottosson - 02 May 2013 03:35 PM
May I suggest that you add a light that is pretty dim in front of the face to highlight it a bit.

Don't think this is what one could call dim... but this is what I came up with for now, only using spotlights so far since I actually haven't been able to figure out htose uber light thingies *sheepish smile* They just refuse to work for me smile

Added a floor and a wall, and got a oddly shaped shadow on the wall. Any idea why? *curious* (wall is made of a cube, and the floor from a pane)

/C

Hej, (Sorry, noticed you're Swedish too, the name gave you away)

First, you need a little soft Ambient light I think, just enough to smooth out the wall shadows (cast my the legs from the spotlight that is lighting up the legs. Second, remember to use really soft shadows (girls should always be rendered with softer shadows unless they are real heroines. A second not, try to light the face more than the rest of the body, use the low intensities and soft shadows. UberEnvironment can be tricky until you understand, then it's very simple.

UE steps:
(a) Add an UE to the scene.
(b) Select it, then select a quality preset (as high as possible if you want some good results)
(c) Then select what kind of HDRI Image (image lights you want)

Also, for your final renders, go to the advanced render settings tab in the render tab. This is a setting Sedor figured out that works well, I use it. See attached image. I explained about UE in this thread, might be worth reading.

Image Attachments
renset.jpg
 Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 03 May 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-04-23
Totte - 03 May 2013 06:24 AM
carola.ottosson - 02 May 2013 03:35 PM

/C

Hej, (Sorry, noticed you're Swedish too, the name gave you away)

First, you need a little soft Ambient light I think, just enough to smooth out the wall shadows (cast my the legs from the spotlight that is lighting up the legs. Second, remember to use really soft shadows (girls should always be rendered with softer shadows unless they are real heroines. A second not, try to light the face more than the rest of the body, use the low intensities and soft shadows. UberEnvironment can be tricky until you understand, then it's very simple.

UE steps:
(a) Add an UE to the scene.
(b) Select it, then select a quality preset (as high as possible if you want some good results)
(c) Then select what kind of HDRI Image (image lights you want)

Also, for your final renders, go to the advanced render settings tab in the render tab. This is a setting Sedor figured out that works well, I use it. See attached image. I explained about UE in this thread, might be worth reading.

Heh, yeah I'm swedish smile

As for the shadows, I honestly have no idea how to make them work. I assume UE is Uber enviroment? I've bene trying to get the uber lights and such to work ever since I downloaded Daz, even re-installed. But I must be doing something wrong with ose lights, cause they refuse to work for me. I only get told that I need to have uber something or another targeted, the problem is I still haven't figured out what it is I need and where to find it.

In the picture so far, I've used 4 spotlight, with different intesnity and so on *sheepish smile* Will read through that thread you linked and see if I can wrap my head around Uber lights

Thanks .)

/C
 Signature 

Posted: 03 May 2013 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1845
Joined  2012-06-29
Rendered for the DAZ, May 7, 2013, weekly member challenge but the lighting came out so good on the pictures I thought I should share it here too.

"Gallery Opening"

USED: Bell Flower Garden, Victoria 5 (with AG-Top/Koala Necklace/Earrings, 50s Pants/shoes, Orion Hair), my own gallery walls/floor, AC_RMFrameMirror (with my own Kalidescope Textures of the Bell Flower Garden), Days of Cider Bench, CDS Plant Stands, FCC_W_Lights (on the wall)

Rendered in Daz3d… postwork (signature only) done in Paint Shop Pro 7

ENJOY!

p.s. I will post a lighting diagram of how I set up the lights shortly smile
Image Attachments
GALLERY_DONE_SIGN.jpg
 Signature 

To see more of my artwork please visit my DeviantArt page… http://llolalane.deviantart.com/ grin
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#galleries/237/

Posted: 03 May 2013 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17119
Joined  2003-10-09
llolalane - 03 May 2013 11:38 AM
Rendered for the DAZ, May 7, 2013, weekly member challenge but the lighting came out so good on the pictures I thought I should share it here too.

"Gallery Opening"

USED: Bell Flower Garden, Victoria 5 (with AG-Top/Koala Necklace/Earrings, 50s Pants/shoes, Orion Hair), my own gallery walls/floor, AC_RMFrameMirror (with my own Kalidescope Textures of the Bell Flower Garden), Days of Cider Bench, CDS Plant Stands, FCC_W_Lights (on the wall)

ENJOY!

It is a nice render, but as it has already been posted elsewhere it will only be an NAE for this contest. However if you would share your lighting set up it would be helpful for other users. Thanks.

I will move the post over into the WIP thread.
[ Edited: 03 May 2013 12:22 PM by chohole ]
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 03 May 2013 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-06-29
chohole - 03 May 2013 12:19 PM

"Gallery Opening"

ENJOY!

It is a nice render, but as it has already been posted elsewhere it will only be an NAE for this contest. However if you would share your lighting set up it would be helpful for other users. Thanks.

That's fine chohole... I mostly posted it to share as an example.. I'll post the diagram in a bit.. smile
 Signature 

To see more of my artwork please visit my DeviantArt page… http://llolalane.deviantart.com/ grin

Posted: 03 May 2013 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-06-29
chohole - 03 May 2013 12:19 PM

"Gallery Opening"

ENJOY!

I will move the post over into the WIP thread.

o.k.. chohole .. thanks smile
 Signature 

Posted: 03 May 2013 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-06-29

"Gallery Opening"

ENJOY!

============================

"Gallery Opening" lighting set up by Llola Lane (SEE diagram)

GREEN - 3 Distant lights (1 & 2 aimed at opposite walls and 3rd aimed at girl) = 25.0% intensity
WHITE - 4 Spot lights over each lamp shade (aiming at artwork) = 200% intensity
PURPLE - UberEnvironment2 (quality 4XHi) = 50% intensity

All done in DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro smile

Hope this helps those who need it. I was pretty happy with outcome. smile ENJOY!!!
[ Edited: 03 May 2013 02:03 PM by llolalane ]
Image Attachments
lighting_setup.jpgGALLERY_DONE_SIGN.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 03 May 2013 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6152
Joined  2006-08-27
One of the big time vampires for rendering is Global Illumination, AKA: GI. I've learned over the years that with a little work you can fairly effectively simulate the look.

The finished image I'm posting is an outdoor scene created in Carrara 7.2 Pro. I use a Realistic Sky which can be used as an Image Based Light model (IBL), similar to an HDRI (High Dynamic Range Image). To do so in Carrara requires partial GI, which is faster than full GI, but can still take a l-o-n-g time to calculate especially with all the trees and clouds.

What I did was to insert a sphere primitive, a distant light and a surface replicator.

The light was set to 5% brightness with a pale blue color to complement the sky color.

I chose the sphere in the surface replicator to be the surface and the light to be replicated across the sphere.

To control the placement of the lights I created a distribution shader with a black and white color gradient. The white would be where the lights are placed and the black would have no lights. The graduation between the two would have fewer lights. I could probably have just created a vertex half sphere, but I already had the gradient shader so I just did it this for expediency. I hid the sphere by un-checking it's visibility, thus leaving only the replicated lights "visible."

I replicated the single distant light fifty times, which is about as low as I could get and still get the effect of GI on the shadows. In other words: A soft diffuse light which creates natural soft shadows, similar to an HDRI, but without the long light calculations.

I added two more lights, a sunlight, which is in essence a distant light tied to the sun's disk in the Realistic Sky, and a distant light pointing straight up and excluding the terrain, and water (not visible from this angle) to simulate reflected light from the ground. The sunlight was set at 125% brightness and the "ground" light was set at 20%.

I know these are fairly Carrara specific, but I believe I read the newest version of Bryce had some kind of replicator. If this is so, perhaps it could be used to create a light dome.

The finished image has a collision artifact that was painted out (a foot poking through a stirrup), but otherwise no post-work. No levels adjustments, no color, and contrast adjustments, and no filters applied.
Image Attachments
Picture_2.pngPicture_3.pngPicture_4.pngPicture_6.pngJousting_copy.jpg
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

2 of 16