Digital Art Zone

9 of 16
WIP thread New Users Contest - May 2013
Posted: 10 May 2013 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5515
Joined  2005-08-29
@carola: Nice, much better. As lighting is this months theme, I cannot start to bug you about materials and those are not your problem, more a problem caused by the age of the environment prop. (I was thinking of the flat ground. But if you want to make it look even better, try to add some bump to it if it's not there, or increase it, to get the ground to catch some irregular shadows and coming "alive".

@bluemoon: Nice job! Looking good.
 Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 10 May 2013 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1676
Joined  2013-04-23
Totte - 10 May 2013 12:27 PM
@carola: Nice, much better. As lighting is this months theme, I cannot start to bug you about materials and those are not your problem, more a problem caused by the age of the environment prop. (I was thinking of the flat ground. But if you want to make it look even better, try to add some bump to it if it's not there, or increase it, to get the ground to catch some irregular shadows and coming "alive".

Bump? Uhm.. huh.. what? I mean, I've heard it mentioned by you older users a few times, but I honestly have no idea what it is... still haven't learnt even half of the things in DAz I must admit *sheepish blush*
 Signature 

My Art Thread  **  My Gallery  **  My Deviant Art  (includes mature content)

Playful Ferret, Proud Wizard Companion of BWC

Posted: 10 May 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29
carola.ottosson - 10 May 2013 12:37 PM

Bump? Uhm.. huh.. what? I mean, I've heard it mentioned by you older users a few times, but I honestly have no idea what it is... still haven't learnt even half of the things in DAz I must admit *sheepish blush*

I'm rendering right now on the machine where I have the old mill environments so I cannot explain using it right now (probably another hour or so until it's done). But stay tuned, I will make a little something to get you going in the right direction, I promise.

Which environment are you using? The ones I found seems to have pretty good ground.

[ Edited: 10 May 2013 01:09 PM by Totte ]
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 10 May 2013 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15757
Joined  2003-10-09
not on an environement, but a demo of how bump mapping can transform something

2nd is a dress without any bump, a dress as it came, 1st is showing how a bump map transsformed it.

3rd shows a close up of a bump, or displacement map.

White is highest, black is lowest, mid grey is flat. This is the bump (or actually displcement) that drives the gathering on the waist of the dress.
[ Edited: 10 May 2013 01:28 PM by chohole ]
Image Attachments
sky_dirncl_disp_demo.pngsummery_dirndl_2.pngbump_demo.jpg
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 10 May 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29
OK, here we go!

First, as you have your camera close to the ground, and the texture is just one big one, it will look blocky och ugly, not your fault.
That can easily be fixed (1) in the image below, but selecting the environment prop, select the surface-tab and then select the surface named Tiling Terrain. (If you cant find it you can use the surface select tool, and click on it.). Now locate the parameters named Horizontal Tiles and Vertical Tiles, bump them up from 1 to 4, the result will show when you do a render, see (2).

Now, to add even more life to the ground, you can add a bump map (as it is no one set) (3). The simples way is to select the Tiling Terrain surface again, then locate the parameter saying Diffuse Color. Hold the mouse over the little icon and it will show the texture and the name/path to it, in this case you are interested in the name, ME_Terrain.jpg.
Now go to the Bump parameter, click the little empty icon and select the texture that you found on Diffuse as bump map. This is not a real bump map, this is really not how to do it properly, but without involving Photoshop and a whole bunch of more stuff, this will do.
Now set the Bump to 100%, negative to -1 amd possitive to 1. Test render, depending on the actual texture those figure might need to be changed or just lower the Bump %.

I hope this clears things out a little.

/ Totte
Image Attachments
co-bumpshow.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 10 May 2013 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-04-23
Totte - 10 May 2013 12:50 PM
carola.ottosson - 10 May 2013 12:37 PM

I'm rendering right now on the machine where I have the old mill environments so I cannot explain using it right now (probably another hour or so until it's done). But stay tuned, I will make a little something to get you going in the right direction, I promise.

Which environment are you using? The ones I found seems to have pretty good ground.

Let's see.... I'm using

Millenium Enviroment (from the Daz shop)

1 LB_Tall grass ground

1 LB_Tall grass

3 LB_coleus

LB_Oak

3 LB_Daylilies

Pointed Leaf plant

Rock

*going to read the above post you made*

this is really not how to do it properly, but without involving Photoshop and a whole bunch of more stuff, this will do
I'm glad you didn't brought in Photoshop.. as I actualyl don't even have that program. I do have Paint Shop Pro and Paint. Net... though I don't think there's much I can do with those two when it comes to these kind of things smile

Gonna go test out that bump thing, if worse comes to worse.. I simply redo the whole picture. After all, it's just more trianing, which in the end hopefully makes me better smile
[ Edited: 10 May 2013 03:13 PM by Carola O ]
 Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2013 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5309
Joined  2006-08-27
Totte - 10 May 2013 01:44 PM
OK, here we go!

First, as you have your camera close to the ground, and the texture is just one big one, it will look blocky och ugly, not your fault.
That can easily be fixed (1) in the image below, but selecting the environment prop, select the surface-tab and then select the surface named Tiling Terrain. (If you cant find it you can use the surface select tool, and click on it.). Now locate the parameters named Horizontal Tiles and Vertical Tiles, bump them up from 1 to 4, the result will show when you do a render, see (2).

Now, to add even more life to the ground, you can add a bump map (as it is no one set) (3). The simples way is to select the Tiling Terrain surface again, then locate the parameter saying Diffuse Color. Hold the mouse over the little icon and it will show the texture and the name/path to it, in this case you are interested in the name, ME_Terrain.jpg.
Now go to the Bump parameter, click the little empty icon and select the texture that you found on Diffuse as bump map. This is not a real bump map, this is really not how to do it properly, but without involving Photoshop and a whole bunch of more stuff, this will do.
Now set the Bump to 100%, negative to -1 amd possitive to 1. Test render, depending on the actual texture those figure might need to be changed or just lower the Bump %.

/ Totte

Totte, DAZ Studio doesn't let you copy and paste between different shader functions?
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 10 May 2013 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29
evilproducer - 10 May 2013 04:28 PM
Totte - 10 May 2013 01:44 PM
OK, here we go!

/ Totte

Totte, DAZ Studio doesn't let you copy and paste between different shader functions?

You can copy shaders but not separate settings, like copy from Diffuse into Bump.
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 10 May 2013 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
So, to expand on Totte's and Chohole's information, bump is a virtual optical illusion. Most bump maps use a gray scale image map. The lighter areas create the illusion of the high part of a bumpy surface and the darker areas are the lower part of the bump. The best way to get the full effect of a bump map is to have the light shine on the bumpy object at an angle.

The reason I call a bump map an optical illusion is because the bump doesn't actually create high points and low points in the underlying mesh of the object. To do that, you need to use displacement which Chohole mentioned when she posted her examples. Displacement actually displaces the underlying mesh of the object, and can be more sensitive to the brighter and darker areas of the map. It can also take more time to calculate for rendering.

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2013 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Totte - 10 May 2013 04:31 PM

You can copy shaders but not separate settings, like copy from Diffuse into Bump.

Not trying to be dense here, but let's say you have an image map loaded into the diffuse shader, you can't just copy the map and paste it into the bump?
 Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2013 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2013-04-23
Well.... that was.. interesting, and oddly pleasing *smirks*

I basically re-worked the whole pic, took away a few things that weren't needed, changed position on the girl and the pup, changed some of the lights around, and ofc did that bump thing with the ground. And I do like the result, granted I'm sure it's not quite up on par with what you guys want *smiles* But it feels better than the other ones so far, so I think I'm on the right direction atleast. Hmm well, honestly, I'm quite satisfied with this *laughs* It's a little bit dark but at the same time that kinda add to the feel of it, in my opinion that is ofc smile

I am much interested in hearing the verdict from you lovely people though, as that can only make me learn more smile

/C
Image Attachments
Puppylove_contestmay2013_lights.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2013 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
carola.ottosson - 10 May 2013 06:26 PM

I basically re-worked the whole pic, took away a few things that weren't needed, changed position on the girl and the pup, changed some of the lights around, and ofc did that bump thing with the ground. And I do like the result, granted I'm sure it's not quite up on par with what you guys want *smiles* But it feels better than the other ones so far, so I think I'm on the right direction atleast. Hmm well, honestly, I'm quite satisfied with this *laughs* It's a little bit dark but at the same time that kinda add to the feel of it, in my opinion that is ofc smile

I am much interested in hearing the verdict from you lovely people though, as that can only make me learn more smile

/C

Personally I think this one looks much better. The background doesn't do the rest of the picture justice though.

My first suggestion is to hide the edge of the ground and the beginning of the backdrop with grasses, bushes, or something else to break up the sudden transition.

My second suggestion would be, and honestly, I don't know how you would do it in DAZ Studio, so maybe a couple of the D/S users here can tell you if I'm blowing smoke or if it's possible... A little trick I do if I'm using a 2D plane with an image as a backdrop is to add the color image map to Carrara's glow channel in the shader tree. This brightens up the background without actually shining a light on it. If you don't use Global Illumination it is no worse on render time than adding lights. It may actually be faster.

I use this trick in this still frame from an animation I'm working on. The astronauts and the pipe they're working on are the only 3D objects. The rest is just a non-animated 2D background I had pre-rendered to save render time. I placed a series of spotlights to try and match my light sources from the backdrop.
Image Attachments
Establishing_Astros_layer02_copy.png
 Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2013 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3530
Joined  2012-02-06
carola.ottosson - 10 May 2013 06:26 PM

/C

That's really pretty. You're right, I think, about it being a little dark (especially the background), but overall this came out very well. You did a good job incorporating Totte's advice on the ground tiling and bump, and the interplay of light and shadow works well.

Keep up the good work!
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 10 May 2013 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3530
Joined  2012-02-06
bluemoon - 10 May 2013 11:32 AM
I recently purchased Dreamlights Film Noir Tutorials. Have gone through the first module and half of the second.

Thought I would try one for a second entry, what do you think?

I like this a lot. You might think about adding a little more illumination on her face. Maybe a little more ambient/fill light in the dark areas of the scene too, to bring out some of the detail (but not much...keep it nice and shadowy).
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 11 May 2013 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29
evilproducer - 10 May 2013 06:06 PM
Totte - 10 May 2013 04:31 PM

Not trying to be dense here, but let's say you have an image map loaded into the diffuse shader, you can't just copy the map and paste it into the bump?

Nope (unless it's a bug), you can select it from the list of loaded images in the bump.
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

9 of 16