Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2847
Joined  2010-11-30
Krissy - 01 May 2013 09:46 AM
robkelk - 01 May 2013 07:11 AM
Krissy - 01 May 2013 01:53 AM

Oh that’s a cool theme Rob smile
I can make you quick entry prize .. anything special you would have in mind ( preferably simple and useful smile )

celebi beautiful textures!

Thank you, Krissy!

Since next month is (likely to be) the annual Summer Fun and Pinups challenge, something that could useful for summer fun would be a good idea… Perhaps a bottle of suntan/sunscreen lotion?

Ok.
I actually have something like that, nned to reshape it a bit and texture ( yay making up a fake logo) . just let me know smile

Well, if half the work’s already done… Sure, why not?

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki - rather small at the moment, but with big dreams to be the one-stop list for all D|S and Poser freebies

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge!

Posted: 01 May 2013 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-30
Dorseyland - 01 May 2013 09:57 AM
robkelk - 30 April 2013 05:30 PM

This month, look through the lenses of the past century and show us what our parents or grandparents may have thought the future would be like ...

Hey! What’s this about “our parents or grandparents”???

When I was growing up in the late 1950s and ‘60s, I was entirely led to believe that everyone would soon all be kicking back and watching the robots do all the work.

That means you get to go back to the pulps - Campbell, Gernsback, “Doc” Smith, early van Vogt and Asimov ... smile

Which is my way of saying, “Great topic!”

Peter Thiel, who made a fortune off Facebook, dismisses the social media and modern gadgets as fluff compared to, for example, the Apollo space program. He launched a venture-capital firm called the Founders Fund that famously asks, “What happened to the future? We wanted flying cars, instead we got 140 characters.”

My generation often shares the “flying cars” lament, as in this July 2012 “Non Sequitur” strip by Wiley Miller ...

I’m only one generation behind you, and I want my flying car, too!

Signature 

Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki - rather small at the moment, but with big dreams to be the one-stop list for all D|S and Poser freebies

Posted: 01 May 2013 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5869
Joined  2005-04-16
robkelk - 01 May 2013 06:16 PM
robkelk - 30 April 2013 05:30 PM

This month, look through the lenses of the past century and show us what our parents or grandparents may have thought the future would be like ...

Hey! What’s this about “our parents or grandparents”???

When I was growing up in the late 1950s and ‘60s, I was entirely led to believe that everyone would soon all be kicking back and watching the robots do all the work.

That means you get to go back to the pulps - Campbell, Gernsback, “Doc” Smith, early van Vogt and Asimov ... smile

Which is my way of saying, “Great topic!”

Peter Thiel, who made a fortune off Facebook, dismisses the social media and modern gadgets as fluff compared to, for example, the Apollo space program. He launched a venture-capital firm called the Founders Fund that famously asks, “What happened to the future? We wanted flying cars, instead we got 140 characters.”

My generation often shares the “flying cars” lament, as in this July 2012 “Non Sequitur” strip by Wiley Miller ...

I’m only one generation behind you, and I want my flying car, too!

Flying car is supposed to be ready to go this year sometime, last I read.  It will not be cheap…and I’m afraid.  There are so many idiots on the road who can’t control their vehicles…I’m not sure I want them to be flying.  You see accidents on the news where a car drove out of control into a house.  Imagine that, only coming through the roof instead of into the basement or first floor.  ohh 

Dana

Signature 

Old post count: 7511

Posted: 01 May 2013 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-30

If I recall correctly, flying cars have been a year or two away for a couple of decades now… (Remember the one in one of the Roger Moore era James Bond movies?)

Honestly, I suspect the closest we’ll get to a flying car is a Cessna.Doesn’t mean I don’t want one…

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2013 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1868
Joined  2006-02-17

Gallery Created

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/FreebieChallenge

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 02 May 2013 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-16
robkelk - 01 May 2013 06:31 PM

If I recall correctly, flying cars have been a year or two away for a couple of decades now… (Remember the one in one of the Roger Moore era James Bond movies?)

Honestly, I suspect the closest we’ll get to a flying car is a Cessna.Doesn’t mean I don’t want one…

There is one in testing now, made right here in Massachusetts.  That one has wings that fold out.  There is one in Europe that already meets all international (US and Europe and many other countries’) standards for both driving and air vehicles and is taking order reservations already.  That one uses modern gyro-copter technology.  Gyro-copters are extremely safe because they can’t stall.  The rotor keeps rotating even if the engine fails, allowing a safe landing.  And there is the SkyCar, which will have a working prototype by end of year.  I’m a little concerned about that one, though.  He moved production to China.  They seem to like putting lead in everything…it might be too heavy to fly.  tongue laugh

All of these will be too expensive for the average driver for quite a few years, but they will be available.  Prices I saw range around the price of a nice home, actually more than I paid for my house.  The first two will fly at a maximum of 4,000 feet, so they will not require air traffic controllers or flight plans.  You will need a Sport Pilot license in the US.  All will have to take off and land at a small airport, it is illegal to take off from the highway.

Dana

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2013 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  822
Joined  2008-09-17

I thought the Moller SkyCar already had a working prototype

Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 02 May 2013 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-30
BWSman - 02 May 2013 05:54 AM

If you count “hoisted into the air by a crane” as “working”... But Moller went into Chapter 11 back in 2009, according to this article, so I wouldn’t count on seeing that flying car any time soon.

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2013 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  588
Joined  2006-08-11
robkelk - 01 May 2013 05:54 PM
Krissy - 01 May 2013 09:46 AM
robkelk - 01 May 2013 07:11 AM
Krissy - 01 May 2013 01:53 AM

Oh that’s a cool theme Rob smile
I can make you quick entry prize .. anything special you would have in mind ( preferably simple and useful smile )

celebi beautiful textures!

Thank you, Krissy!

Since next month is (likely to be) the annual Summer Fun and Pinups challenge, something that could useful for summer fun would be a good idea… Perhaps a bottle of suntan/sunscreen lotion?

Ok.
I actually have something like that, nned to reshape it a bit and texture ( yay making up a fake logo) . just let me know smile

Well, if half the work’s already done… Sure, why not?

Ermm.. easy half is done smile  will go on it next time I have some time and post preview soon

Posted: 02 May 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  822
Joined  2008-09-17
robkelk - 02 May 2013 06:15 AM

If you count “hoisted into the air by a crane” as “working”... But Moller went into Chapter 11 back in 2009, according to this article, so I wouldn’t count on seeing that flying car any time soon.

The individual; not the company.  Once he filed for personal bankruptcy; whoever he owed money to couldn’t touch the company.

Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 02 May 2013 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-16

I guess they redesigned it or something.  As they are prototypes, I’m sure as they find issues, or find a better way of doing something, they make another prototype.

Dana

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2013 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-16

Hmmm…sued by the SEC and unable to sell it on eBay.  maybe that’s why he’s moved it to China.  smirk 

Dana

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2013 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
DanaTA - 02 May 2013 12:31 PM

I guess they redesigned it or something.  As they are prototypes, I’m sure as they find issues, or find a better way of doing something, they make another prototype.

Dana

I’m not a fan of the design but no Crane is needed to fly. In the early test flights a Safety tether was used. The new design is considered air worthy if you could afford to fly it.

Image Attachments
Moller_Skycar.jpg
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 02 May 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-16
Jaderail - 02 May 2013 12:40 PM
DanaTA - 02 May 2013 12:31 PM

Dana

I’m not a fan of the design but no Crane is needed to fly. In the early test flights a Safety tether was used. The new design is considered air worthy if you could afford to fly it.

I’m not sure I’d want to drive down the highway, or even the local roads, with those little tires.  I don’t know what the roads are like where you live, but up here we get frost heaves in the winter, and a lot of potholes.  The road can be bumpy.  Those little things would wear out really quick, and probably give quite the uncomfortable ride.

Dana

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2013 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1598
Joined  2003-10-09

A flying car would be fantastic (for those driving them and not underneath them anyway). It would certainly be fun to try, but ‘m not holding my breath.

A question about the contest:  Are limited-time freebies or platinum club freebies that are not currently available or available to everyone acceptable in the contest, or should we limit ourselves to freebies that everybody can get right now?

2 of 20