Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
this product has NOT been tested in daz!
Posted: 29 April 2013 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2005-08-26

What is the general risk of using/buying a product with this type of warning? Would it be material not aligning right, pose/bone movement not working correctly? A prop I want to get is a water spray prop… It’s just a clear stream with bones so that you can direct the water in a certain direction, or have it arch out as if it were from a sprinkler or hose.

It Is the only prop of its kind I’ve found, but the author says he has no interest in DAZ, his prop was made and tested only in poser. I just want to know what issues I could run into, or if there would even be any issues.

Thanks!

P.S.
I don’t know why a moddler would choose to be hostile towards daz .... I mean it’s just about the same as poser, and excluding us cuts his market in half.

Signature 

My Renders: My DeviantArt Gallery
Revenger is always looking to meet 3d artists of all levels. FB me if you want to share, or just hangout in the background: http://www.facebook.com/revenger681

Posted: 29 April 2013 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

DAZ has a decent return policy, which gives one the option to test it out and if it doesn’t work return it. I wouldn’t try that with other stores though as some specifically state they will not ‘be responsible’ ...

And, they aren’t being hostile towards DAZ, they simply aren’t going to the extra effort to test and make it work in DAZ Studio.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 29 April 2013 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5233
Joined  2008-03-06

If it’s a .pp2 or .cr2 prop, it’ll probably work, but the shaders or mats won’t.  There are some good free water shaders for DS now, though (Fisty’s come to mind, and I’ve done some at ShareCG, too).

My rule of thumb is not to pay more than $10 for a “not tested in DAZ” product given the amount of work I’ll usually have to do with the shaders.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 29 April 2013 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Well in my case, part of the decision rests on the quality, amount of work and detail of the base mesh. I actually just did an example of this here.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 29 April 2013 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
Gedd - 29 April 2013 07:57 PM

Well in my case, part of the decision rests on the quality, amount of work and detail of the base mesh.

For me that determines whether I’m willing to pay $10 or $5.  If they didn’t do the work there’s no guarantee it will work properly and there’s no guarantee I can get the money back if it’s not from DAZ.

I should clarify what I mean by “the shaders won’t work,” though.  A .pz2 preset will load in DS.  It just won’t look right.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 29 April 2013 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

I agree for the most part. Especially the part about buying from other stores. In the example cited, I did about 20 minutes of work to adjust the shaders, but most of them weren’t terrible to start with.

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2013 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-08-26

Thanks for the reply!
If the mats or shaders won’t work then maybe I’ll pass…. Is just a great looking prop… Useful in scenes with sinks, water pipes, fountains, etc. I’ve always wanted a water prop with 5-7 bones to make it arch, trickle, or shoot out like a fire hose and I’ve yet to find anything like it so far.

Signature 

Revenger is always looking to meet 3d artists of all levels. FB me if you want to share, or just hangout in the background: http://www.facebook.com/revenger681

Posted: 29 April 2013 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
revenger681 - 29 April 2013 08:06 PM

Thanks for the reply!
If the mats or shaders won’t work then maybe I’ll pass…. Is just a great looking prop… Useful in scenes with sinks, water pipes, fountains, etc. I’ve always wanted a water prop with 5-7 bones to make it arch, trickle, or shoot out like a fire hose and I’ve yet to find anything like it so far.

That’s not outside the realm of possibility.  Was this somewhere you can link it?  I can probably make a DS pack of water jets with bones, but I’d like not to copy their product directly.  (Or you can send me a link via PM if it’s not forum-friendly.)

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 29 April 2013 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Well one of the things you can do is ask people if they’ve used to product in DAZ Studio and what their experience was. With the current ‘our store vs their store’ most places have adopted now however I would do it in the forum of the store that is selling the item.

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2013 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Cross-post. That ofc could work out the best smile

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2013 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-08-26

Thanks for the replies guys, I’ll send Sickle a PM.

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2013 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Btw, it occurred to me that I agree with SickleYield for another reason. By the time a mesh is good enough I would consider risking buying it untested, fixing the shaders could be that much more complex to fix, and therefore negate the whole thing based on that. So yes, it would probably be pretty rare I’d pay $10 or more for something that stated it was not tested in DAZ.

Signature 

Posted: 30 April 2013 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1336
Joined  2006-03-14

I generally look at the readme (if it is at a site that has those).  Look for things that rely on Poser Dynamics, the material room, python, etc.  Those are all non-starters for the DS-only user.

I’ve bought plenty of poser only or “not tested in DAZ Studio” items and made them look good (if I say so myself LOL) in DS, but it does have a cost associated.

Here’s one of my better Xurge3D conversions… (as a bonus, I often given away my DS Mat presets for various things, see my .sig below)

Image Attachments
flamewalker01_zpw.jpg
 Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 30 April 2013 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

That’s beautiful. And Xurge’s stuff is the best example of something I would pay the most for specifically because everyone who’s ever mentioned it has always said it worked excellent for them. (Not to discount the great job you did here especially with the leather.) I haven’t purchased any yet because I would want to get it at least 50% off specifically for the reason I would have to go through and redo the shaders.

Signature 

Posted: 30 April 2013 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1004
Joined  2012-01-29
Gedd - 30 April 2013 07:20 AM

That’s beautiful. And Xurge’s stuff is the best example of something I would pay the most for specifically because everyone who’s ever mentioned it has always said it worked excellent for them. (Not to discount the great job you did here especially with the leather.) I haven’t purchased any yet because I would want to get it at least 50% off specifically for the reason I would have to go through and redo the shaders.

Xurge had a 50% sale recently. It was near the end of March or at the beginning of April, if I recall correctly. Subscribe to his newsletter to get info about sales, if you haven´t already. Sadly, Xurge always has sales, when I am short of money due to overlaping DAZ sales…

Posted: 30 April 2013 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Thank you Proxima smile

Signature 

1 of 3