Digital Art Zone

Issues with Unwrap
Posted: 29 April 2013 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2008-08-31

Every time I “unwrap” the UV map is all over the place, even off the board. Is there a way to fix this because its rather annoying, So far the only “fix” I’ve seen is using a planar UV map but that doesn’t work for something like say, a helmet.

Posted: 29 April 2013 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1340
Joined  2008-01-01

UV mapping is a whole art form in its own right.  There are basically two methods - projection and unwrapping.  Projection is a quick method which only gives good results on simple geometric shapes which resemble the 3 types - cube, cylinder and sphere.  Anything organic needs to be unwrapped using seams and pins.  Unless you assign temporary shading domains to each flat part of the mesh and do a planar map for each.

Basically, to unwrap, you look at the mesh and decide how you would cut it up if you were making a paper pattern to lay out flat.  Then you make seams along the edge loops which represent how you would cut it up, add pins in appropriate places which serve as a fixed point around which the UV map flattens out symmetrically.

If you would like to post the mesh on a file sharing site and PM me the link, I’ll try to show you a step-by-step:)

Posted: 12 May 2013 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2009-04-24

I’m math dyslexic.  When the Unfold tool turns things upside down and inside out I want to cry.  But using seams keeps the tears down to a minimum.  smile

Signature 

Audiences know what to expect and that is all they are prepared to believe in.