Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Dynamic Clothing Questions
Posted: 28 April 2013 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  564
Joined  2012-11-06

So I have struggled with figuring out how to get Dynamic Martial Art Gi for M4 to work very well, for quite awhile now, and can not seem to get a handle on this.  I gave up trying to make this clothing work on Genesis, so I am just using the base M4 at this point, but still no good results.

Can anyone recommend some good tutorials.  My most basic problem, is that when applied I am not able to pose my character without the clothing tearing apart from the figure.  Most of the tutorial only seem to relate on animation but I am just trying to do a simple pose at this point.

Thanks.

Signature 

Get updates on the progress of Capsized the Movie!

“Just because I don’t know the meaning of my art, does not mean it has no meaning.” - Salvador Dali

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 28 April 2013 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2704
Joined  2009-02-24
Geminii23 - 28 April 2013 11:54 AM

So I have struggled with figuring out how to get Dynamic Martial Art Gi for M4 to work very well, for quite awhile now, and can not seem to get a handle on this.  I gave up trying to make this clothing work on Genesis, so I am just using the base M4 at this point, but still no good results.

Can anyone recommend some good tutorials.  My most basic problem, is that when applied I am not able to pose my character without the clothing tearing apart from the figure.  Most of the tutorial only seem to relate on animation but I am just trying to do a simple pose at this point.

Thanks.

Dynamic clothing really needs to be applied AS an animation to get the best effect out of it. It’s called Dynamic clothing because it dynamically changes based on the characters movements and is affected by gravity. The caveat is that it won’t naturally follow figures like conforming clothing, so you need to create a small animation of your figure moving from the T-pose into their final pose for best effect.

Once your short animation is set up you can then run an animated drape from the dynamic clothing tab and your previously static clothing will move naturally with the figure.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 28 April 2013 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2009-05-14

Oh man I hear you on this. When I first got some Dynamic clothing and found out I needed to do animated posing my colour drained and the sky started falling. smile

But now I find it so easy it feel so silly believing it was hard…it is not.

Frame 0 Load figure, texture maps and clothing
Frame 20 Pose figure and inject Morphs, tweek as needed.
Frame 30 nothing changes from frame 20.

why the 10 frames at the end, just in case I need to do a static drape to smooth out more if needed.

Open Dynamic Clothing Control and set to Animated Drape making sure you are on Frame 0, hit drape. Job done.

Uisng Genesis is a little more fiddly but doable. I listed the process in another thread, I will go and dig it out if you need it.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 28 April 2013 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  499
Joined  2008-12-28

I still don’t understand what it has to do with animation.
I did this in one minute.
- loaded V4
- loaded dynamic cloth
- gave a random Genesis basic male pose
- no fiddling in the Dynamic Clothing panel, just hit ‘Drape’

Image Attachments
DynClothing01.jpg
 Signature 

http://tjeb.deviantart.com/
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/528

Posted: 28 April 2013 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2009-05-14

tjeb some off, not all but many, of the Dynamic Clothing that is in the store need animated drapes to get the best out of them. But yes I have also gotten good results from Static draping but it really does depend on a number of factors like heavy morphed figures beyond what they were made for, extreme posing etc. Also many of the older items in the store haven’t been upgraded to automaticaly fit Genesis as they were made for M4/V4. But again even for these older clothing some of them can be statically draped on Genesis.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 28 April 2013 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2704
Joined  2009-02-24
tjeb - 28 April 2013 01:40 PM

I still don’t understand what it has to do with animation.
I did this in one minute.
- loaded V4
- loaded dynamic cloth
- gave a random Genesis basic male pose
- no fiddling in the Dynamic Clothing panel, just hit ‘Drape’

Two main reasons that works. Firstly, your garment has no sleeves, and so doesn’t clip through the arms. If it had been a sleeved garment, the sleeve would start out inside the figure, and the subsequent drape would be colliding as such. Secondly, the clothing is a simple dress and can sit upon the legs at the bottom.

In an animated drape, you might get some level of stretching at the legs instead of it riding up, and it would look more natural.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 28 April 2013 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-06

Wow!  I got really excited after reading these responses.  I was suddenly hopeful.

I also read this tutorial, which did help quite a bit:

http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/dazstudio/dynamicclothing_yourfirstdrapeandbeyond.pdf

I followed the tutorial to the letter.  I have experimented several times with trying to drape multiple times and also tried experimented with the scale but I can not solve this poke through issue.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks.

Image Attachments
Test.png
 Signature 

“Just because I don’t know the meaning of my art, does not mean it has no meaning.” - Salvador Dali

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 28 April 2013 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1633
Joined  2005-12-31

It looks like the leg is riding up due to a shifting of the body through space. I don’t have that outfit so I am not sure if it is one that does “fit to” or not. If it does then look at what the final pose hip level is and match that in the first pose. Check to make sure that there is no craziness with the pose. I once had awful results because rather than a positive hip turn it was a negative and the figure was twirling in a circle. Lastly if none of the above works stop your animation when the leg starts to ride up and do a static drape so that the clothing shifts back down (in other words before the leg is fully horizontal) and won’t ride up.

edit to add.. You may need a few more frames or a short static drape at the end to even the drape out. Also you can change the surface setting to higher smoothing to cut down on the sharp edges.

Posted: 28 April 2013 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-06
Khory - 28 April 2013 06:22 PM

It looks like the leg is riding up due to a shifting of the body through space. I don’t have that outfit so I am not sure if it is one that does “fit to” or not. If it does then look at what the final pose hip level is and match that in the first pose. Check to make sure that there is no craziness with the pose. I once had awful results because rather than a positive hip turn it was a negative and the figure was twirling in a circle. Lastly if none of the above works stop your animation when the leg starts to ride up and do a static drape so that the clothing shifts back down (in other words before the leg is fully horizontal) and won’t ride up.

edit to add.. You may need a few more frames or a short static drape at the end to even the drape out. Also you can change the surface setting to higher smoothing to cut down on the sharp edges.

Actually this is not an animation.  I am trying to make a single frame.

Signature 

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 28 April 2013 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1633
Joined  2005-12-31

I’ve never done an animation in my life but I almost always use an animated drape to get the results I want. Letting the cloth move into place through a time line drape generally gives me better results if the pose is anything more than just standing around. And if you make sure that you deselect anything that the clothing does not need to intersect with the time is not really very long.

Posted: 28 April 2013 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  972
Joined  2012-02-04

Animated drapes are the way to go.  My problem, however, is that the collision detection in the dynamic clothing control is pants.  Even with animated drapes, clothing often falls right through figures because collision detection is having problems.  Very frustrating when you have to keep adding “low rez” primitive shapes (I usually use cylinders) to the figure to act as ‘drape guards’ because the clothing isn’t colliding with the figure.  And yes, all the appropriate stuff is listed in the ‘collide with’ options.  It seems mesh density plays a large factor in it.  Too fine a mesh and the dynamics just don’t collide with it.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 29 April 2013 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16433
Joined  2009-01-22
cwichura - 28 April 2013 10:57 PM

Animated drapes are the way to go.  My problem, however, is that the collision detection in the dynamic clothing control is pants.  Even with animated drapes, clothing often falls right through figures because collision detection is having problems.  Very frustrating when you have to keep adding “low rez” primitive shapes (I usually use cylinders) to the figure to act as ‘drape guards’ because the clothing isn’t colliding with the figure.  And yes, all the appropriate stuff is listed in the ‘collide with’ options.  It seems mesh density plays a large factor in it.  Too fine a mesh and the dynamics just don’t collide with it.

Umm… Really? Because it’s the other way around for most users. To low a mesh count and the collision can not calculate against it. High count items I’ve never once had a issue with.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 30 April 2013 01:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-04

Yes.  I spent the better part of a day battling with Studio to get the Trinity Leather Jacket in Coming of the Death Dealer to drape without falling through the V4 figure, or failing to collide with things like parts of the belt, the straps on the bodice, the straps on the boots, etc.  In all, there are six cylinder primitives parented to V4 and the various clothing items to act as drape guards.

If I load V4 and the cloak and do a single drape in T pose, it mostly stays on her.  The collar often starts falling into her neck.  If I then apply SubD to V4, and repeat the static drape, the cloak will fall right through her.

For that render, I did an animated drape to try and get the cloak to look like it would with a figure actually walking.  (I baked the walk forward (1 cycled) aniblock into the Studio timeline to get the walk animation and had it blend from T pose to start into the walk animation.)  The cloak was keeping to V4’s arms, but fell through the shoulders and was pillowing out behind V4 like a parachute until I added a cylinder just below the skin horizonal between the shoulders.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 30 April 2013 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16433
Joined  2009-01-22

You do understand the power of your PC and the iterations of the collisions all come into play with Dynamics.

I still say, and stand by it, a LOW mesh count fails when a HIGH mesh count (think quads here) will collide. If you wish to test this make a Primitive Plane 3m by 3m with just 4 divisions and DRAPE against it. Then increase the Divisions to 25 and try again. You stated a general statement before and then used one example to prove it. The Plane example I just gave is testable by anyone.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 30 April 2013 03:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-04

I have had this problem with all the dynamic clothing I own, not just the Trinity Leather Jacket.  I’m currently traveling for work this week, so don’t have access to my render machine to test the plane.  But my experience has been that denser geometry has more problems with collision detection than lighter geometry does.

And my PC is fairly powerful: quad-core i7 at 2.2Ghz (not that it matters, since the draping engine seems to be single-threaded anyway—it only pegs out one core).  Doing animated drapes, I usually have the drape engine configured for 10 drape subframes per real frame.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 30 April 2013 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-06

Well, I have basically spent the better part of two days in frustration trying to get a single dynamic outfit to work right on an M4 figure with no morphs.  At this point, I feel that any dynamic clothing I have purchased has been a waste of money.

;(

Signature 

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

1 of 3