Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Carrara’s long-term outlook?
Posted: 15 June 2012 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2011-05-27

I’m interested in Carrara solely because it’s a decent software package that allows the excellent DAZ content to be used easily.  If it weren’t for the content, I wouldn’t be anywhere near Carrara.  Properly loved and supported, it would probably be a really nice entry level software package, but as it is it really feels kind of old and discarded.  An afterthought because DAZ figured they would need to provide animation tools for their content. 

I’ve been watching this develop for a while now:

http://www.blender3dclub.com/posertools

It appears to be moving along successfully, and hopefully will allow an easier way to move DAZ/Poser content into Blender, which, although its free, seems to be loved and supported in a way Carrara simply isn’t. 

Posted: 15 June 2012 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  493
Joined  2003-10-09
wendy♥catz - 15 June 2012 07:37 AM

and lol! I still can get a dynamic clothing sim collada exported from DS3A into Carrara!
(because I never installed the special borked version of DS3 you got!!!)
dunno if I can share that last build I got for your NEXT computer, it is only 32bit and you add your own serial,
(might work if you reinstall Windows) yes it works on my newer desktop too because I never put the bad one made to screw up Manstan that I did not download, there either.
I have about 10+ installer builds of DS3, 4 is catching up.

Which version DS3A, please, Wendy? I have a few on my old drives.

Posted: 15 June 2012 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7545
Joined  2009-07-13

3.1.2.32 & ofcourse 32bit

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 15 June 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  493
Joined  2003-10-09
wendy♥catz - 15 June 2012 12:40 PM

3.1.2.32 & ofcourse 32bit

Cool! I have that. Always pays to be a pack rat! wink  Thanks!!

Posted: 15 June 2012 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

ok, don’t try it with the 8.5 beta!!!
just did a dynamic sim to see if it was still working and C8.5 has freezed up, I opened 8.1.1.12 32bit and it imported fine.

edit to add WIP render with hair

Image Attachments
dynamics.gif
 Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 15 June 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

I wish I could embed videos or decent clickable images!!!
you can see the beta still frozen in the background!

Image Attachments
ihatethisforum.gif
 Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 15 June 2012 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2007-03-03
djmulcahy - 15 June 2012 11:14 AM

I’m interested in Carrara solely because it’s a decent software package that allows the excellent DAZ content to be used easily.  If it weren’t for the content, I wouldn’t be anywhere near Carrara.  Properly loved and supported, it would probably be a really nice entry level software package, but as it is it really feels kind of old and discarded.  An afterthought because DAZ figured they would need to provide animation tools for their content. 

It appears to be moving along successfully, and hopefully will allow an easier way to move DAZ/Poser content into Blender, which, although its free, seems to be loved and supported in a way Carrara simply isn’t. 

I’ve been keeping my eye on those tools as well…

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 16 June 2012 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2008-08-29
3DAGE - 14 June 2012 05:14 PM

In the Parameters tab we now have options to adjust the strengths of morphs above or below 1.
(something which could be a real pain in previous versions).

In the shader rooms there are a number of improvements including the new “Multilayer” shader and multilayer elements.
Fast Mip-map shaders which should solve some Sparkling issues in animations.

Thanks for this! I use the beta, thought I’d read the release notes, and I didn’t know either one of these. Now I have to go play in the shader room….

Signature 

Swamp Living Never Felt So Good

Posted: 16 June 2012 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-08-29
djmulcahy - 15 June 2012 11:14 AM

When I first picked Carrara up the basic reason for doing so was because of the ability to import content and the lack of anything meaningful in that regard for blender (which is the first 3D app I used).

Although the Carrara 8.5 beta has significant issues with genesis at the moment that is being worked on and I gotta say, genesis is where I want to be character model-wise. At this point blender would need to grow genesis support, not poser import.

Now, if blender was able to meaningfully import genesis content (including auto fit and geografting) then I’d be looking at refamiliarizing myself with Blender’s interface…

Signature 

Posted: 16 June 2012 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2006-06-12

I am still using C7Pro. I own C8Pro, but am waiting to install it.

I think Daz should keep working on Carrara development, but I would rather they take their time. a LOT of time and develop Carrara 8.5 or 9 right.

I think most users have barely tapped the power in Carrara 6Pro, Much less 7Pro or 8 Pro! There are SO many things I don’t know about Carrara. If I were Daz, while I worked quietly on Carrara development, I would not only keep selling content, I would focus on education. I’d publish a book (even an eBook in pdf format) of secrets of Carrara. Something that would help users tap the FULL power of Carrara.

The tutorials people post are fine and some are helpful, but I would rather have one authoritative source.

This way, when Daz finally does release a COMPLETED Carrara 8.5 (or 9) then people would have a better grasp of Carrara as a whole.

cool smile

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 17 June 2012 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2008-02-06

I would be interested about how many people use Daz Studio and how many people use Carrara. That would give a clue about the long term viability of Carrara. Daz seems to make most of its money by selling DS items and there aren’t so many items for Carrara only. So it would seem to make sense to concentrate on Daz Studio. I bought Carrara 6 at one of the frequent sales but never warmed to it. Somethings it does better like hair and shaders and modelling admittedly but then there is an extra tool to learn. Ironically if it looked more like Daz Studio it might get a wider audience and survive better although I suppose that would offend Carrara users of many years standing.

Posted: 17 June 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-08-29
Roboman28 - 17 June 2012 11:19 AM

I would be interested about how many people use Daz Studio and how many people use Carrara. That would give a clue about the long term viability of Carrara. Daz seems to make most of its money by selling DS items and there aren’t so many items for Carrara only. So it would seem to make sense to concentrate on Daz Studio. I bought Carrara 6 at one of the frequent sales but never warmed to it. Somethings it does better like hair and shaders and modelling admittedly but then there is an extra tool to learn. Ironically if it looked more like Daz Studio it might get a wider audience and survive better although I suppose that would offend Carrara users of many years standing.

You are assuming that the interface of Daz Studio is what results in it having more users, not the price point. I can’t stomach the pitiful excuse for an interface that is Daz Studio enough to use it even in a supporting role to do things like drape dynamic clothing.

Yes, to an extent a response to interface is personal, not objective. But attributing user base to something other than price is foolish.

It is worth noting (as someone already has) that Carrara is not on the list of free software (for a limited time, since… what February or January?). Apparently Carrara is more valuable as direct revenue generation than to attract new content purchasers. Because there are those of us who *do* purchase content (I have purchased quite a bit of it) I think Daz sees value in further integration with content and thus genesis. This has been borne out by the C8.5 beta (which not all Carrara users think is a good thing). A couple of years ago I made a comment in the forums about using Carrara rather than Blender due to content integration—which got attention from Daz marketing.

The topic title is “Carrara’s long-term outlook?” and based on what Daz has done in the past and is doing now, I’d say that Carrara’s outlook is this:

- viewed as revenue stream (rather than a value add)
- increased integration with content
- slow addition of new features (right now this is bullet physics)

Signature 

Posted: 18 June 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2011-05-27

Now, hold on…
This just struck me…
Am I reading all of this right?
So, as of right now, I can import Genesis characters into iClone…
But not into Carrara? 
Is this right?

Posted: 18 June 2012 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

depends which Carrara build
C8.5 beta will also open the FBX export from Daz studio
and it loads and autofits clothes to Genesis (not the FBX, Genesis loaded from the browser)
does poses and animation
just some things like textures and preset morphs for the Supersuit for example do not work though I believe .duf format from DS4.5 might
certainly more works inc morphs than in iClone.
C8.1.1.12 the last production build is another story.

Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 18 June 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

Right now, the only commercially available 3D application which opens and uses the Genesis figure in the way that it was designed to be used is Daz Studio 4.

That is, ..You can Load, Pose, Shape, Texture, add clothes which auto fit to the morphed character, Change the UV’s to use different texture sets from different figures, LIp-sync with audio, Animate, and Render.

2 of 3