Digital Art Zone

2 of 10
The Wonderful Dynamic Puzzle of 3D (or, What’s my Work Flow)
Posted: 24 April 2013 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2196
Joined  2011-11-16

Example 2:

In this first image, we have Stonemason’s excellent prop The Dark Star. It is a great image but it isn’t quite like the promo and not what I’m looking for, so ... here we go.

Image Attachments
01.jpg
 Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 24 April 2013 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Here is a screenshot of the actual lights that make up the set as is. They could be used as a jumping off point for creating the finished item, but in my case I want to take it in an entirely different direction so we will disable all of the lights that came with it.

Image Attachments
02.jpg
 Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 24 April 2013 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

The lights weren’t showing in the initial image so added ambient to them, which made them show up but they aren’t emitting any actual light, they just glow themselves leaving the rest of the scene dark.

Image Attachments
03.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2013 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Here I transformed the lights to UberArea lights but it blew out the colors so we’ll have to fix that.

Image Attachments
04.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2013 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

The scene is entirely lit by the actual visible lights in the scene at this point. Besides modifying the colors of the lights, I adjusted the falloff amount and rate to sculpt the lighting into producing the dimensional tonality I wanted.

It looks grainy because I’ve left the quality down purposely to allow fast adjustments while I work, total render time for the image is still below 2 minutes at this point. This allows quick tweeking of the color, balance etc.. without waiting forever for the results. I changed the surfaces from plastic to metal, matte, etc.. but this didn’t really have a significant impact at this point. I’m just picky that way, it does make some differences when the final lighting comes together, and if going to another render engine like octane or lux eventually, it sets the stage.

I also added an UberArea light. The purpose of the UberArea light was to balance out the other lights and blend all of it together. It is set to a low level as it is basically blend and fill. There is an image missing between this and the previous one where I had modified the lights to the colors I wanted but hadn’t added the UberArea, so it isn’t as obvious what purpose the UA is serving as it could be.

Image Attachments
05.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2013 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

In the final scene I upped the quality (samples.) I also added the default genesis character as a placeholder character. This allows us to see how the lighting is going to work with skin tones. Since the character isn’t in a closeup, it doesn’t need specialized skin work.

If one clicks on the final image to get the full size popup and the scrolls up to the first image, one can compare the two side-by-side to see how the lighting really effects the textures. This is the 3DLight render engine with a pretty reasonable render time.

Image Attachments
06.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2013 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

So, the final render too 22m.11s with the hardware previously mentioned.

A couple things of note. By understanding workflow I was able to get what I wanted without spending a lot of time rendering during the initial stages by keeping the quality down. It was only the final render that took any amount of time. The second thing to note is notice how the various textures pop compared to the initial render. I did nothing to any of the surfaces other then those of the lights and to change the material types from ‘plastic’ to metal, matte, etc.

The point here wasn’t to make great art, it was to set up the prop so that when we did want to use it we had something that was more in line with how ‘we’ would use it. We could save multiple configurations so that they would be ready as a starting point for whatever we wanted to do with them later.

Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2013 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2006-07-28

If the background for my image will be black, then I render against a blank background.  If it will be white, I’ll render against a black background.  But ... if you background is anything other than black or white, you’d want to use that color.

In other words, I’ll pick the dominant color from the background behind my figure and set that as the background color. 

SickleYield - 24 April 2013 02:36 PM

When you render to .png render with a black background, not a white one.  Fringing problem solved.

Yes, it did take me a long, annoying time to figure that out.  No, I was never told it by anyone else.

Signature 

Satira Capriccio on deviantART

Posted: 24 April 2013 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

All of the methods mentioned for fringing are good and appropriate for different circumstances from my experience. There is another method when it is a particular problem and one need good detailed results in the area and that is to make a specific layer mask of the offending area and deal with that area using various touchup techniques. This level of detail in dealing with it can be time consuming though and doesn’t make sense when a simpler method will work. It can be like putting a lot of detail in background areas that are going to have a high DOF effect applied anyways.

Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2013 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  399
Joined  2003-10-09
Gedd - 24 April 2013 04:14 PM

Example 2:

In this first image, we have Stonemason’s excellent prop The Dark Star. It is a great image but it isn’t quite like the promo and not what I’m looking for, so ... here we go.

looks like your using the wrong version of that set,(judging by the lack of ambient lights)..have a look around for the DAZ Studio mats that came with it,which will adjust all the materials to look as they do in the promos

thanks
Stefan

Posted: 24 April 2013 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Thank you, will do. That would have saved a step, but in the particular case of using it for an example, it helped I didn’t have them ;p

[Edit] Nope, I did a fresh download using a bare (clean install) of DS and tried the poser and DS versions.. no ambient here.

Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2013 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

in your account you should see something called “The Dark Star StudioCF” which contains the materials and lights for D|S

the material files for D|S are in \content\character\Stonemason

Posted: 24 April 2013 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

In my download of the StudioCF it doesn’t have a content\character folder. That zip contains:

\—-Content
  +—-Props
  |  \—-Stonemason
  |    \—-The Dark Star
  |          DarkStarLights.dsb
  |          DarkStarLights.dsb.png
  |          DarkStar_mats.dsb
  |          DarkStar_mats.dsb.png
  |         
  \—-Runtime
      \—-Support
          DAZ_3D_8771_The_Dark_Star_Legacy.dsa
          DAZ_3D_8771_The_Dark_Star_Legacy.dsx
          DAZ_3D_8771_The_Dark_Star_Legacy.jpg

and none of those provide ambient lights.

Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2013 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

DarkStar_mats.dsb is what your looking for.. and its not actual lights, it just makes adjustments to the ambient ‘light’ fittings surfaces

Posted: 24 April 2013 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Yes, I tried that.. it didn’t adjust the ambients for me.

Signature 

2 of 10