Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
HELP!
Posted: 24 April 2013 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  176
Joined  2006-04-15

Agreed. Calling them DIM files on the Product Download page is counter intuitive.

Posted: 24 April 2013 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  549
Joined  2009-04-14

Man, I was kinda worried there for a moment, but it looks like a DIM file is only a ZIP with a manifest document in it. While the ability to do batch installs is intriguing, I won’t be using DIM, so it’s nice to know that the content can still be installed in a traditional manner.

Posted: 25 April 2013 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2003-10-09
Kerya - 24 April 2013 04:40 AM

I just wished they had used the word “NEW” instead of DIM ... it would make for less confusion.

I just wished they had developed an automatic installer that was compatable for all the programs this sites supports, gives you the option for selecting those programs, and actually installed the files IN those locations used by the programs….in other words: an installer that WORKS!!

Recently, I got PoserPro 2012. I didn’t want to import the Runtime from my old Poser—it’s a mess due to years of accumulation of items that are good only for non-commercial use mixed in among the stuff that’s useable in commercial works. What I did like with DIM was that they’ve begun to catagorize items—much like I’ve been doing with my stuff to keep the Mega-Gig-sized folder from crashing Poser, but the arrangements are significantly different from my way of doing it. I figured it’s much easier to restart with a new, slicked out folder using their catagory scheme than to resort all my crap to match theirs.

Taking that opportunity, I also wanted to do a clean sort of the D|S runtime folder, for the same reason. So I set up the new install locations, clear out D|S, reload the D|S & PoserPro as clean loads and got busy with DIM.

One thing I noticed was DIM seems to be desiged to cater only to D|S—there is a checkbox for loading into P9/PoserPro, but no options for pointing the installer to the Poser runtime—it only gives the option for the D|S runtime folder. “Fine,” I sigh. After DIM was finished, however, somehow everything showed up in my PoserPro runtime, absolutely nothing in the D|S folder! “WTF?” Wierd, but PoserPro works fine now….

.....Then I discovered an interesting feature; I recently got a morph for the DAZ Horse 2. “Great!” I thought. But when I installed, I saw it was a D|S-only morph—PoserPro can’t see it. “Okay, I’ll just use D|S”—so I start it up, found the Horse 2 in the list, go to load it….only no horse!! there’s some corruption of the install that I’m only getting some boxed-bodyparts figure of the horse…“WTFW?!?!?!?” gulp

I think DIM is using quantum-computing for the install—our files are in a state of both there AND not-there for Poser & D|S—until you actually look! Then, the cat dies or lives depending on the observed state of the other program….. shut eye

Posted: 25 April 2013 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
Kerya - 24 April 2013 04:40 AM

I just wished they had used the word “NEW” instead of DIM ... it would make for less confusion.

The Word DIM is used to serve a Triple purpose. It shows that the file is a standard Zip and if you use the DIM it will auto install if you use that feature of DIM and lastly if a Item does not show DIM it must be DL’ed and installed in the old way. You will notice no Plugins have a DIM icon.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 25 April 2013 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1307
Joined  2004-06-13

Ryuu, the checkboxes you mentioned are for filtering to show only the DIM files you need for the programs you use.  They have no bearing on where things will be installed, to control that go to the Installation tab and use the + button to add new locations.  When installing be sure the ‘Install to where?’ pane is expanded and you will have a button to chose the new locations you added.

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

2 of 2

[ DAZ STORE      Avatars ]