Digital Art Zone

3 of 4
Problems editing Genesis in Blender
Posted: 26 April 2013 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

No, don’t mind.. what’s your Blender thread?

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 26 April 2013 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2013-02-28

Blender Guru is pretty cool. I DL’d one of those through YouTube a while back, but thought I’d give it a try direct through Real Player. At night it’s tough to DL. YT is the same way. Mornings are better and Thursdays are the best DL days or Sunday morning early.

As of the moment I’m working on a building. The status readings in the main menu bar (Top Right) tell me Mem: 22.40M (12.44). Is this file size or RAM usage? I’ve watched the performance during a render and it peaks a bit over 50% then drops right back down to a few %. All I have on that machine is 2Gb RAM. 4375 faces. Any idea what to expect if I go much larger?

Signature 

The Universe is a hairball. It was made by Fritz the Cat.raspberry Einstein claimed it was a plate of spaghetti, but you don’t want to know what transpired between him and Elsa for him to arrive at such a eureka moment…

Posted: 26 April 2013 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4531
Joined  2004-08-11
Gedd - 26 April 2013 07:22 PM

No, don’t mind.. what’s your Blender thread?

Thanks so much.

My WOW Blender thread is here:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/21166/

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 26 April 2013 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Oh yes, I’ve been following it, good thread smile

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 26 April 2013 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4531
Joined  2004-08-11

I thought I had seen you post there!  lol Yea, it’s really turned out to very informational thanks to you more advanced Blender users.  I’m so thankful for all the help!  grin

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 27 April 2013 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Sometimes Misinformation can be depressing if not dangerous. I stated somewhere in here that I had difficulties watching YouTube videos because my wifi service isn’t fast enough, thus requested written step-by-step or pdf downloads. I was not only told to DL the YT videos, but pointed to a program called YTD, to do exactly that. Well, I complimented a video’s author on her well made work and mentioned that I’d DL’d them to watch later. I was informed it is against YT’s TOS and a ban worthy opprobrium! Now I’m thinking I’d be better off just to hit B&N and abandon the video tuts.

And here I was making quite a bit of headway… :(

Signature 

The Universe is a hairball. It was made by Fritz the Cat.raspberry Einstein claimed it was a plate of spaghetti, but you don’t want to know what transpired between him and Elsa for him to arrive at such a eureka moment…

Posted: 27 April 2013 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

B&N won’t have the information you are looking for. If you want to download videos, send a message to the person ahead of time and explain your situation and ask their permission. Many will probably not have a problem with it. Finding out after someone does something is often the problem for many people.

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2013 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Actually, I just posted again to the gal’s tube page. Not for permission, but to complain about YT’s negligence, in so many words, assuring the nice lady the complaint was not about her. (I actually thanked her for educating me about the issue.) I compare it to trespassing. I have dogs. They aren’t really mean, but they will, and have, gone after an intruder. (Bit the dude’s crotch and he left a trail of blood as he ran away… That was in the house, though. LEO’s wrote a few notes and did nothing… imagine that…) If it was in the privacy fenced in back yard, though, he could have sued me because I have no plain-as-day, overt, large type warning signs. (The fence is 7’ high…)

YT needs to have such “fair warning” above each video. Real Player needs to restrict certain known sites from DL. YTD should cease and desist. Otherwise, RP is like the accomplice that helped the trespasser hop my fence.

If YT has such a covertly imbedded policy, ethics would denote they should refrain from forcing ads onto the viewer. I’m sure there are ways to learn Blender without all the frustration of internet video management…

I may be recalling poorly, but it seems I’d seen a list of Blender books at B&N. I’ll Bing that…

Edit:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-blender-book-carsten-wartmann/1111888798

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/blender-foundations-the-essential-guide-to-learning-blender-?store=allproducts&keyword=blender+foundations+the+essential+guide+to+learning+blender+...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/blender-3d?store=allproducts&keyword=blender+3d

Nope! B&N doesn’t have any Blender titles for sale…  :D LOL

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2013 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2010-07-08
drcharbonneau - 27 April 2013 07:02 AM

Actually, I just posted again to the gal’s tube page. Not for permission, but to complain about YT’s negligence, in so many words, assuring the nice lady the complaint was not about her. (I actually thanked her for educating me about the issue.) I compare it to trespassing. I have dogs. They aren’t really mean, but they will, and have, gone after an intruder. (Bit the dude’s crotch and he left a trail of blood as he ran away… That was in the house, though. LEO’s wrote a few notes and did nothing… imagine that…) If it was in the privacy fenced in back yard, though, he could have sued me because I have no plain-as-day, overt, large type warning signs. (The fence is 7’ high…)

YT needs to have such “fair warning” above each video. Real Player needs to restrict certain known sites from DL. YTD should cease and desist. Otherwise, RP is like the accomplice that helped the trespasser hop my fence.

If YT has such a covertly imbedded policy, ethics would denote they should refrain from forcing ads onto the viewer. I’m sure there are ways to learn Blender without all the frustration of internet video management…

I may be recalling poorly, but it seems I’d seen a list of Blender books at B&N. I’ll Bing that…

Edit:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-blender-book-carsten-wartmann/1111888798

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/blender-foundations-the-essential-guide-to-learning-blender-?store=allproducts&keyword=blender+foundations+the+essential+guide+to+learning+blender+...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/blender-3d?store=allproducts&keyword=blender+3d

Nope! B&N doesn’t have any Blender titles for sale…  :D LOL

Just download the videos and don’t go telling anyone about it.  Nobody really cares unless you start redistributing the content as your own.  If your conscience bothers you, delete the downloads after watching them.  What, really, is the difference between you watching it once on your browser (trying to watch with a crappy connection), and watching it once in a video player at high enough resolution to actually see what is going on?

Posted: 27 April 2013 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-07-08

Just one more thing…

I’m no lawyer, but there is legal precedent for the right to record television broadcasting for later viewing and personal use.  YouTube can pretend that you don’t have that right, but I would wager that the law is on your side in this respect.  Or have you never used a VCR in your life?

Posted: 27 April 2013 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Here in America, the difference is the Fair Use Act and freedom of information. Blender needs an OpenGL tut site where the work is protected against plagiarism, but DL’s are encouraged.

I can’t stress enough that one day we all may wake up to find the net simply isn’t, whether by sociopolitical disruption or climatic cataclysm. So, no, I have more conscience to actually promote your suggestion… silently. Not for piracy, but for time encapsulation.

DAZ is in Utah. We are in a solar cycle right now of early warning signs that could trigger great amounts of activity in the Yellowstone Caldera in about 11 years, when the sun resumes its output. Old Faithful is only about 300 years old, according to the US Department of the Interior. It appears to have popped up shortly after the Little Ice Age, or Maunder Minimum. ALL water tributaries West of the Illinois-Indiana border are connected to it through the ground waters contained in the one time lava tubes created by the YC about 100k years ago. For that to happen, a lot of water preceded the fire.

What I’m saying is, aside from the pirates who will do as they please regardless, authors should be flattered that someone wants to preserve their work, especially in an age of 7 billion other contestants. In the not-so-distant future their work will otherwise go unseen. Same for DAZ. Free is good. Free endows the arts in all respects.

BTW… got Gimp. It resembles my own SDI programming preference, opposed to DAZ and Blender that are apparently MDI parent/child window dependent. Both are good algorithms. I can see where Gimp will be very useful when I start delving into UV mapping. Right now I’m playing with realism versus vertex population. Blender is progressively making life good.

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2013 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28
daveleitz68 - 27 April 2013 09:23 AM

Just one more thing…

I’m no lawyer, but there is legal precedent for the right to record television broadcasting for later viewing and personal use.  YouTube can pretend that you don’t have that right, but I would wager that the law is on your side in this respect.  Or have you never used a VCR in your life?

That is correct, but if they were to ban you for DL’ing, you would have little recourse if any, save to apologize and beg. House rules differ between public and private. When they demand my ID to log in, as has Facebook, the link goes to file 13. People can post videos on my own http://www.jootbox.forumchitchat.com site. Worst case scenario is they could be moved to an appropriate category, but I’m a lazy mod…

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2013 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-07-08

Videos can be downloaded without logging in.  At least that’s my case with Firefox and Download Helper.

Posted: 27 April 2013 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1135
Joined  2004-06-13

Doc and Dave, I think you need to look at the downloading ban from the sites point of view.  They are providing a service for all for free but have to pay the bills somehow.  Advertising is that somehow so of anything that circumvented watching the ads is against TOS.  If it wasn’t companies may be less inclined to advertise with them.

Now about the books, I am pretty sure those where written about the time version 2.5 was going to be released.  2.5 was seen as a major change to Blender, it was when the interface was overhauled to hopefully be more user friendly and get more people to use it.  But we are at version 2.6x now and some of whats in them, like a lot of the keyboard shortcut will have changed.  They may not help with learning how to use Blender but more with modeling techniques and principles.

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

Posted: 27 April 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-07-08

One is free to skip most advertisements on YouTube after a certain amount of time.  I do watch some advertisements that interest me.  AFAIK, I am not able to start the download until after the advertisement has ended.  FWIW, who hasn’t fast forwarded through the commercials in TV programs recorded on videotape?  One is not required to accept any terms of service to view most videos available on YouTube or Vimeo.  I do not download videos to avoid advertising.  I do so because my netbook is underpowered with a crappy screen, and I have no internet service at home.  I leave my ‘good’ laptop at home most of the time because it’s a lot bigger than the netbook.

3 of 4