Digital Art Zone

2 of 4
Problems editing Genesis in Blender
Posted: 25 April 2013 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

If you aren’t having problems with it I would suggest sticking with it as the 3d cursor does come in handy in some advanced areas. It basically is like giving another dimension to your ability to select and interact. Some people never get comfortable with the 3d cursor either though.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 25 April 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2013-02-28

Hmmmm…

What are you defining as a 3D cursor? I’m using the arrow, a box or a circle. Are you meaning that the cursor moves in 3D’s?

Signature 

The Universe is a hairball. It was made by Fritz the Cat.raspberry Einstein claimed it was a plate of spaghetti, but you don’t want to know what transpired between him and Elsa for him to arrive at such a eureka moment…

Posted: 25 April 2013 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4962
Joined  2008-03-06
drcharbonneau - 25 April 2013 02:59 PM

Hmmmm…

What are you defining as a 3D cursor? I’m using the arrow, a box or a circle. Are you meaning that the cursor moves in 3D’s?

I’m pretty sure that’s a widget.  The “3d Cursor” in Blender is a tiny circle with four lines intersecting it, like a crosshair.  It is most useful for recentering objects or snapping them to world center (that’s what I use it for, anyway).  When you use add-mesh, the object added will be snapped to the 3d cursor regardless of the cursor’s scene position.  Shift-S gives you your controls for it or snapping objects to it.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 25 April 2013 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  480
Joined  2010-06-18

Hi…

You can also use the 3D cursor as the center for translations, such as using it as the pivot point to rotate a whole object or just a set of selected vertices or faces…. you just set the median point as the 3D cursor instead of the default which is I believe an average of the currently selected vertices… you can change this on the Tool shelf at the bottom of the viewport…

nicci… smile

Posted: 25 April 2013 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
niccipb - 25 April 2013 03:13 PM

Hi…

You can also use the 3D cursor as the center for translations, such as using it as the pivot point to rotate a whole object or just a set of selected vertices or faces…. you just set the median point as the 3D cursor instead of the default which is I believe an average of the currently selected vertices… you can change this on the Tool shelf at the bottom of the viewport…

nicci… smile

<—What she said.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 25 April 2013 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

That much I had… Just wasn’t certain what Gedd was referring to. Now I know… smile

Yes. I like that. DAZ is similar in that respect.

I, too find it convenient. Wish it was active in sculpt mode.

Signature 

The Universe is a hairball. It was made by Fritz the Cat.raspberry Einstein claimed it was a plate of spaghetti, but you don’t want to know what transpired between him and Elsa for him to arrive at such a eureka moment…

Posted: 26 April 2013 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Since we have a sort of ad hoc Blender discussion going here, I’ve been playing with texture paint, but I’m missing something. What I’m wanting to do is apply a different texture to each face, or a group of faces, on a single object, for example, a rusty metal on the top, distressed wood on three sides and glass on the fourth… maybe even something for nosey people that might look on the bottom.

Is this possible? If so how?

I imagine I could make a cube out of separate planes as separate objects, but it seems as though Blender should have thought of this long ago and provided a method.

Oh… BTW, cgcookie wants cash to download much of their tuts.

Signature 

Posted: 26 April 2013 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
drcharbonneau - 26 April 2013 12:02 PM

Since we have a sort of ad hoc Blender discussion going here, I’ve been playing with texture paint, but I’m missing something. What I’m wanting to do is apply a different texture to each face, or a group of faces, on a single object, for example, a rusty metal on the top, distressed wood on three sides and glass on the fourth… maybe even something for nosey people that might look on the bottom.

Is this possible? If so how?

I imagine I could make a cube out of separate planes as separate objects, but it seems as though Blender should have thought of this long ago and provided a method.

Oh… BTW, cgcookie wants cash to download much of their tuts.

BlenderCoookie is free.

It sounds like you’re wanting to use materials assignment.  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Materials/Assigning_a_material

With each one on a different mat zone you can then assign separate materials, UVs and textures to them if you wish.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 26 April 2013 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2010-07-08

Quite a few very useful and well made tutorial videos are free at Blender Cookie.  While I’m not a ‘citizen’ myself, I think the price they ask for full access is very reasonable.

Posted: 26 April 2013 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

@BlenderCookie commentary:

Yes, some are free, but when you want to get the “punch line,” part 2 video, you must pay. Yes, they are useful and some freebies are complete. As for worth, I agree, but to someone balancing a budget on a fixed income, even the lowest price is something one must plan for well ahead and obstacle events happen. When someone asks me “How are you doing, Doc?” I generally respond, “Mostly without.” A doctor title doesn’t always mean wealth. MD’s usually are affluent. Ph.D’s? Not as often. Still a free-lance…

I’ll look into that tut, SickleYield. Thanks.

Edit:

Went there. Read that. It appears that UV editing is the only way, still it is a way. Already have a couple tuts on UV editing, so I guess the old dude can’t be lazy this time… wink

Signature 

Posted: 26 April 2013 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
drcharbonneau - 26 April 2013 01:53 PM

@BlenderCookie commentary:

Yes, some are free, but when you want to get the “punch line,” part 2 video, you must pay. Yes, they are useful and some freebies are complete. As for worth, I agree, but to someone balancing a budget on a fixed income, even the lowest price is something one must plan for well ahead and obstacle events happen. When someone asks me “How are you doing, Doc?” I generally respond, “Mostly without.” A doctor title doesn’t always mean wealth. MD’s usually are affluent. Ph.D’s? Not as often. Still a free-lance…

I’ll look into that tut, SickleYield. Thanks.

Well, there’s also YouTube.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 26 April 2013 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Ok, so… looking for Blender tutorials, let me see:

Blender Guru, probably my favorite
Blendalicious
Blender Arsenal
Blender Diplom
Blender Nerd
Born CG
Bugzilla
David Allen Ward
Free Stuff Lawl
Get Blended
Jason Welsh, also a favorite
Michalis Gkiokas
The Blender Survival Guide
Wirehead King

And if none of those tell you what you want, just do a Google/Youtube search on Blender tutorials… it has more free training available then anything else probably other than possibly Gimp.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 26 April 2013 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

Good list!

My first Blender orientation was done in person, so I don’t know all of the resources available.  When I need to learn more about a recent feature, I usually google it, then flail around experimenting with that information until I figure it out.  That’s not helpful to a beginner, though - one doesn’t necessarily know what words to look for.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 26 April 2013 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Hi Gedd,

I agree, that’s quite a list. I do the YouTube quite a bit now and have created a decent library. Certainly there’s a lot more and I imagine before I’m done, I’ll be putting them all on DVD’s. (One reason is I’m not certain how much longer there will even BE an internet. The Mayans were correct, it would seem, where climate changes became drastic. The outer layers of the sun actually are in an “off” state as of last May. That’s just the tip of the iceberg; no pun intended.)

One thing I noticed while reading about the UV mapping was mention of Gimp. I may try that, even though the one video tut on UV mapping used Paint to texturize the map. I tend to think a trade-off is needed between vertices and the illusion of texture. I watched one video about creating a city. The fellow doing the work did well. Nonetheless, it left a good bit to be desired. I had actually modeled a skyscraper using my own technique, but I’m certain the vertices will eventually add up to a very long render if the machine wouldn’t simply choke.

Other considerations are screen real estate. To do some projects I’d like to do will simply need a 32” screen. I realized that when I started messing with modeling a cephalon, as in brain. Because brains are not symmetrical (especially artists and big thinkers) it would take six windows to do a good job: Anterior, Posterior, Right, Left, Top and Bottom. Maybe Santa will bring the other half a 40” TV so I can use the 32” for a monitor…

Hi SickleYield,

I’m doing basically the same as what you related. What I’ve been doing is making mental notes of what I have questions about, then finding the tuts. You guys have been helpful if nothing more than to suggest a page or video or method.

I don’t agree with the five year learning curve excuse though. I’ve been at it part time for a couple weeks now, some of that involving downloading tuts. I’d say by June or July I’ll have some show and tell… smile

Signature 

Posted: 26 April 2013 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4544
Joined  2004-08-11
Gedd - 26 April 2013 02:18 PM

Ok, so… looking for Blender tutorials, let me see:

Blender Guru, probably my favorite
Blendalicious
Blender Arsenal
Blender Diplom
Blender Nerd
Born CG
Bugzilla
David Allen Ward
Free Stuff Lawl
Get Blended
Jason Welsh, also a favorite
Michalis Gkiokas
The Blender Survival Guide
Wirehead King

And if none of those tell you what you want, just do a Google/Youtube search on Blender tutorials… it has more free training available then anything else probably other than possibly Gimp.

Do you mind if I copy your links over to my Blender thread?  This is a fabulous list!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

2 of 4