Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
Problems editing Genesis in Blender
Posted: 23 April 2013 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2013-02-28

Basically that. Is there some way to create a Genesis .obj that can actually be edited in Blender? When I bring one in, it won’t allow me to go into edit. I actually managed to do some rigging in one, but it doesn’t weight map properly and forget about bending, although the bones will torque the figure violently out of shape.

What am I doing wrong?

Signature 

The Universe is a hairball. It was made by Fritz the Cat.raspberry Einstein claimed it was a plate of spaghetti, but you don’t want to know what transpired between him and Elsa for him to arrive at such a eureka moment…

Posted: 23 April 2013 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4957
Joined  2008-03-06
drcharbonneau - 23 April 2013 05:33 AM

Basically that. Is there some way to create a Genesis .obj that can actually be edited in Blender? When I bring one in, it won’t allow me to go into edit. I actually managed to do some rigging in one, but it doesn’t weight map properly and forget about bending, although the bones will torque the figure violently out of shape.

What am I doing wrong?

Right-click on it after import to select the imported obj before you can go to edit mode.

It’s not going to import with rigging.  The obj format doesn’t hold that information, just the vert and material groups.  There have been scripts to supposedly do it with the collada format but so far they don’t seem to work with complex bipeds (I tried one back in Gen 4).

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 23 April 2013 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Sheeeeesh!

Thanx, Sickle Yield. That much I already knew. (Been practicing and studying both DS and now Blender) What it turned out to be was the need to select all the sections independently with Shift held down, then CTL + J in object mode. That may clear up other problems with rigging too.

I had a decent reply typed up, then the site lost it for me. Have to remember to copy what I post to the clipboard. For some odd reason, when I do that simple act, the editor doesn’t lose my work.

Any good links to the Deviant Art forums? It’s been recommended to me.

Signature 

The Universe is a hairball. It was made by Fritz the Cat.raspberry Einstein claimed it was a plate of spaghetti, but you don’t want to know what transpired between him and Elsa for him to arrive at such a eureka moment…

Posted: 23 April 2013 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

No, what you need to do is import with “keep vert order” checked and “split” turned off so you don’t have to mess with ctrl+J (that’s going to give you an ugly unwelded mesh).

I’m not really on the DA forums, so I can’t help you there.  I guess I’ve always assumed Poser and DAZ users were a small group compared to others and there wouldn’t be much relevant to my interests compared to here.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 23 April 2013 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

That makes sense about the forums.

As for the import/export: That, I imagine, is what I was fishing for. Outbound settings. I’ll give that a whirl… even though I’m gradually getting the hang of sculpting faces in Blender.

I had suspected settings might cause the issue.

Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2013 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Unfortunately, upon exporting, those settings were not in the dialog box…

Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2013 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
drcharbonneau - 23 April 2013 05:59 PM

Unfortunately, upon exporting, those settings were not in the dialog box…

Because those are settings for importing the obj to Blender, not exporting from anything.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 23 April 2013 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Alright…

I guess my psychic powers are a little bent ghoulee today…

I’ll try that.

Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2013 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
drcharbonneau - 23 April 2013 07:27 PM

Alright…

I guess my psychic powers are a little bent ghoulee today…

I’ll try that.

My original post says “import.”  I’m not sure why psychic powers are required.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 23 April 2013 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

A new pair of bifocals might help…

I see that now. I also did that correctly this time and, yes, not only did that work, but I noticed it gave me the option of orienting the object to load right-side-up.

Now I’ll have to work at rigging Genesis in Blender. Probably should try a few more simpler models first, but I’ve been making some headway on rigging things…

Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2013 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4542
Joined  2004-08-11

I’m just beginning to learn about Blender.  This is useful info.  So Shay, you use Blender to make all your fabulous stuff for Genesis?  If so I might be bugging you ALLOT! 

RUN, far far away!  raspberry

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 24 April 2013 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
RAMWolff - 24 April 2013 09:09 PM

I’m just beginning to learn about Blender.  This is useful info.  So Shay, you use Blender to make all your fabulous stuff for Genesis?  If so I might be bugging you ALLOT! 

RUN, far far away!  raspberry

I sure do.  Blender is a persnickety and heavily hotkey-dependant interface, but once you take time to learn it, it’s incredibly powerful.  The 2.5 series are so, so much better than things were back when I started out, especially as regards the sculpt tools.  And in the new versions it hardly ever crashes (which, from what I hear, is in no way true of Hexagon).

The only thing it really doesn’t do well that I wish it did is facilitate painting across UVs and baking between them.  That’s why I keep going ZBRUSH ZBRUSH WE WANTS IT when this topic comes up - when I’ve created character sets I’ve had to use a merchant resource and touch up seams in a 2d program, and it’s fiddly and a pain.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 25 April 2013 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2010-07-08

When I import a genesis figure into Blender I use the mcjTeleBlender script by Casual that you can look up in the Freepository section of the forums.  The script also purports to convert DAZ materials into Cycles nodes, but I find the implementation very, very limited.  Given time I may figure out a way to create OSL ubersurface shader nodes for Cycles out of DAZ RSL shaders, but that is a possible future project depending on my time and interest.  In the mean time I’ve just been experimenting with my own node groups which are not too difficult to figure out and assign to imported scenes.

As far as changing the shape, I have no problems pushing verts and sculpting on figures, hair, clothes, etc.  The mcjTB script is easier than the basic OBJ export option in DS4.5 in that respect.  However, rigging an imported character is a major project.  I’ve got a Blender Foundation DVD on ‘Humane Rigging,’ but I have not attempted to go that far yet.  In order to properly rig and set up shape keys, it is a good idea to have some animation experience.  For that I also highly recommend the ‘Blender Animation Toolkit’ DVD available at the Blender Foundation and Blender Cookie.

In the mean time, however, I’ve resorted to using Blender shape keys to store poses of figures that I have already set up with materials.  I pose in DS and export with mcjTB.  I save that file with the new pose and open my figure ‘library’ .blend file.  I append the new posed figure to the library file and then add a shape key.  I can’t explain it here, so just look up the tutorial video…
http://cgcookie.com/blender/2013/03/22/non-destructive-modeling-with-shape-keys-in-blender/

Posted: 25 April 2013 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

Hi fellows,

This what I’ve been learning: There are good tuts and ones that suck because they are poorly planned. Those ( with DAZ, too) are more like hand waving than real teaching. VscorpianaC has a plethora of tuts on YouTube. She is very mindful of the student’s needs, zooming in to show where one is to click, in lieu of leaving it all a blur on a postage stamp. I watched, and learned from, one of her tuts on modeling with a background image in UV space. Now I’m on to modeling a human cephelon (brain.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUyu50EyjrI

One of the first things I learned was through the Blenderwiki “Your first animation” tut. That didn’t completely sink in till I went to http://www.blendercourse.com and downloaded that pdf. Between those I learned the need to know when to use the LMB, MMB, Wheel & (most important) RMB. RMB selects and remembering what modes do just what is a good bit of getting on one’s way.

Once exploring edit mode, all those in grained, I was able to model a skyscraper in all of 10 minutes. In sculpt I’ve been able to use Dynamic Topology/symmetrize and Mirror/Symmetry to sculpt heads. One has to remember not to confuse DAZ conventions with those of Blender. It’s no problem, though, to use d-formers in DAZ to get, say, a symmetrical valley in a plane to become a city per se, then to bring it into Blender and work it over. Blender allows us to select a single face, then delete or subdivide it. DAZ does not, or I haven’t learned how just yet.

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2013 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2010-07-08
drcharbonneau - 25 April 2013 08:11 AM

Between those I learned the need to know when to use the LMB, MMB, Wheel & (most important) RMB. RMB selects and remembering what modes do just what is a good bit of getting on one’s way.

Starting in Blender 2.5 I set up the controls the way I like them.  I do NOT select with the right mouse button in the viewport.  So counterintuitive and ridiculous a thing that I still can’t believe that they set that as default behavior.  Especially since I use a pen tablet quite a bit.  Fortunately, those are easy to change.  I also made it slightly harder to change the location of the 3D cursor by adding ‘Alt’ to my ‘right click.’  My ‘right click’ is now basically just a way to cancel potential location, rotation, or scale changes in the 3D viewport.  ‘Left click’ selects and moves.  ‘Middle click’ with CTRL and SHIFT rotates, zooms, and pans the view.  I’ve even set up DAZ Studio to the same viewport settings I have in Blender using the ‘middle click,’ CTRL, and SHIFT keys.  Of course, everyone has their personal preferences.

Posted: 25 April 2013 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-28

One thing I learned in that “first animation” tut is that an object, the head in that case, moves along with the rigging controls even though there are no vertices included in their weight map regions. I’m assuming, at this point, as long as the object is parented to the body, it will still be affected by the controls that control the limbs. This may have an advantage that would act like tendons and muscles, thus a more complex figure, composed of more than a single mesh object, might provide more graceful control.

I am still learning with the default preferences. I’m sure I’ll need to change that s time goes on, but I personally have no problem with right click selecting. Maybe that will change someday.

Signature 

1 of 4