Digital Art Zone

3 of 5
How did Hexagon lose its way?
Posted: 23 May 2013 02:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2011-05-02

Hi Kyoto,
I can only speak from personal experience, Hexagon crashes on me, although not so much these days, and when it does it is usually me trying to get too smart with it, I can not yet, put my finger on the exact reasons, a recent occasion was during re-naming stuff, material zones, materials, objects and groups, it was not a big model, fairly simple really.
It can be sensitive sometimes with awkwardly built meshes I have found, twisted or flipped faces pointing in the same direction., some have problems with their graphics cards, although I have not, My PC is not new, XP pro. Nvidia 6600GT and a bare minimum of Ram red face but I is not new neither so it works for me smile
Sometimes having other stuff running in the background might not help, but with my set up I have to stay slim, so I have to watch it.
Certainly I have to stop my anti-virus from running all the time,
BTW. how are the Daleks, my cough is a little better thnx. smile

Posted: 23 May 2013 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11195
Joined  2007-11-06

...that’s what gets me, I’m running an i7 with an nVidia GTX460, 12GB TriChannel memory and no other processes running at the same time to vie for system resources with. Yet, I still have been experiencing the same instability and failure rate as when I ran it on my 32 bit old duo core notebook with the Intel integrated graphics set and only 4GB. 

I know it is only a 32 bit app but with the extra “horsepower” I have and nothing else running to interfere, I should be getting the maximum performance out of the app as I have so much “overhead”.

..haven’t seen much of the Dalek Appreciation thread lately, but working on an idea to bring it back to life.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 23 May 2013 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2006-05-18

I switched to Max a few years ago. My problem with Hex was that it couldn’t handle objects. I nearly lost several times because froze and corrupted the file. I needed something that could handle many buildings. If it wasn’t for that, I’d still be using it because it’s such a great modeler.

Signature 

Muze’s Store

Posted: 11 June 2013 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2005-02-08

So there will be no future versions of Hexagon? If this is indeed true, then that is sad….really sad….

Posted: 19 June 2013 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...unfortunately Gen6/Genesis2 has taken centre stage now. 

While I like the fact that Studio 4.6 is one of the most stable releases of that app I’ve seen, Hex has been left to flounder in the state it’s been in for the five+ years I have been involved in 3D CG.

In that time:

Blender has been making great strides forward with an improved UI and new features including Real Time rendering.

Modo has seen five updates.

Vue has been through at least seven updates (including “X.5” versions)

Poser has seen four rewrites of both the basic and pro versions.

MS is now hawking the fourth new version of it’s Windows OS

If Daz intends on continuing to market Hexagon as it’s “signature” modelling app., they need to come up with a true upgrade that finally fixes the instabilities which have plagued it for the last half decade,

...and stat, not “Daz Soon”.

...or return the price I originally paid for it in store credit so I can get a foothold on the next generation figures they are spending all this time on developing instead of fixing what really is broke.

Signature 

Posted: 20 June 2013 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

DAZ makes dollies. When has this ever been a secret?

Hex is like Latin. Great language, a lot of people use it, but it’s dead.

Posted: 21 June 2013 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2011-05-02

De mortuis nil nisi bonum

Posted: 21 June 2013 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
ManStan - 20 June 2013 07:51 PM

DAZ makes dollies. When has this ever been a secret?

Hex is like Latin. Great language, a lot of people use it, but it’s dead.

..and that is what sucks (apologies for the language) because Hexagon could be a wonderful tool that dovetailed nicely withStudio and Bryce to make a really powerful 3D suite.

Since the merger back in 2009, l feel Daz had lost it’s direction.

..but again, that;s just my two Zlotys worth and when has that ever mattered

Listening to music from Mr Gershwin right now, at leas there are still a few positive things left in the world.

Signature 

Posted: 21 June 2013 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

=>

Posted: 22 June 2013 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-03-29

hexegon used to crash a lot on me, until i found out that it was in part do to the ati control app, so i just uninstalled it and only installed the driver, since then i don`t have problems,( except when i try to open an obj file by double clicking it outside of hexagon, xd but other than that im very happy with hexagon, although bones and animation would be welcomed.

Posted: 22 June 2013 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...I have an nVidia GPU with 1GB GDDR5 that has the latest OGL drivers and Hex keeps freezing up on me as bad as it did on my notebook that has the Intel GMA integrated graphics.

No, it’s a bug in the software that has not been attended to for over five years.

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2006-11-17
Kyoto Kid - 22 June 2013 11:50 PM

...I have an nVidia GPU with 1GB GDDR5 that has the latest OGL drivers and Hex keeps freezing up on me as bad as it did on my notebook that has the Intel GMA integrated graphics.

No, it’s a bug in the software that has not been attended to for over five years.

Hello,

There is a bug/problem with Hexagon attempting to use multi-processors.
Please try:- Open nVidia control panel-> Managed 3d settings. Change the option:- “Threaded Optimization” to “Off”

Posted: 23 June 2013 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2006-04-26
Steve athome - 23 June 2013 10:50 AM

Please try:- Open nVidia control panel-> Managed 3d settings. Change the option:- “Threaded Optimization” to “Off”

I will give that a try.

Once I started using LAA a lot of crashes I was getting went away.

Because of some crashes with booleans, I could not use the latest Hexagon update and have stayed on 2.5.0.5. Maybe this will fix those crashes so I can go to 2.5.1.79

Posted: 23 June 2013 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
Steve athome - 23 June 2013 10:50 AM
Kyoto Kid - 22 June 2013 11:50 PM

Hello,

...this needs to be updated as when one needs to use other apps that take advantage of the multithreading you need to go back into the preferences and turn that back on every time.  Five+ years and they couldn’t find the time to fix this, but instead roll out three new versions of the Studio app, Three versions of Carrara, a new (sort of) version of Bryce, another generation of their millennium core figures, and two generations of the new Genesis? That is just sloppy.

That also doesn’t explain why was this an issue on my old system which didn’t have multi-threading as it was the Intel integrated chipset.

If Daz has no intent or incentive to update Hex, fix these bugs, and bring it into the 64 bit world, then thy should either sell it to someone who would, or put it in the grave and wash their hands of it all.

I’ve already started working with Blender, It’s an uphill climb sure, but at least it’s stable.

I just wish I could get my 54$ back that I paid for an app I couldn’t use.

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2013 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-02-09

That you can’t navigate the view with pan, rotate, zoom at the same time with user adjustable mouse controls is just crazy. I bet it’s the biggest reason why Hexagon isn’t more popular. It’s just ridiculous. It’s something like the lack of ngons were in Blender: “Yeah, we don’t need ngons, they ruin the topology of objects.” Now when ngons are in Blender it’s like zillion times better than before.

3 of 5