Digital Art Zone

2 of 5
How did Hexagon lose its way?
Posted: 28 April 2013 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  201
Joined  2003-10-09

How do you get the mesh to stay a solid wireframe mesh when your modeling on that mesh ?
When I model on a mesh it’s a semi transparent wireframe mesh ya can see the back of the mesh.
I do not want to see thru the mesh.
Don’t want to see the back.
Since Hex wasn’t made for windows 8 don’t know if it will do right on windows 8.

Posted: 28 April 2013 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  201
Joined  2003-10-09
Laticis - 28 April 2013 03:49 AM

Hexagon is awesome…...not all the bells and whistles and a little quirky here and there…but brilliant none the less.

I just keep praying for development, it has such huge potential to be great.

I own Lightwave and Modo and still I keep using Hexagon.

How good are LW’s rigs for humans ?

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2006-11-17
RorrKonn - 28 April 2013 11:41 PM

How do you get the mesh to stay a solid wireframe mesh when your modeling on that mesh ?
When I model on a mesh it’s a semi transparent wireframe mesh ya can see the back of the mesh.
Since Hex wasn’t made for windows 8 don’t know if it will do right on windows 8.

Click on the little icon, it toggles “Activates the transparent display of sub-selection”

Image Attachments
Display.jpg

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2006-11-17
TapiocaTundra - 28 April 2013 08:23 AM

It had and still has what Hexagon does not, plugins and scripts.

Hexagon does have plugins and scripts, it is just we do not know how to build/add them (no info).

Posted: 29 April 2013 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  276
Joined  2007-04-05
RorrKonn - 28 April 2013 11:43 PM
Laticis - 28 April 2013 03:49 AM

Hexagon is awesome…...not all the bells and whistles and a little quirky here and there…but brilliant none the less.

I just keep praying for development, it has such huge potential to be great.

I own Lightwave and Modo and still I keep using Hexagon.

How good are LW’s rigs for humans ?

Not that I have played with it yet but Genoma in 11.5 looks pretty spiffy.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/article/genoma-revealed/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfut_KXamKw

I have a personal assignment I am working on in Hexagon / Lightwave which will call for me to do some work in rigging.

Signature 

http://laticis.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 29 April 2013 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2011-05-02
Steve athome - 29 April 2013 01:18 AM
TapiocaTundra - 28 April 2013 08:23 AM

It had and still has what Hexagon does not, plugins and scripts.

Hexagon does have plugins and scripts, it is just we do not know how to build/add them (no info).

As I said Steve, Hexagon does not have plugins or scripts grin

Posted: 01 May 2013 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2005-08-24

Hexagon is a app that seems to work for some really well, and for others hardly at all.  Iv been using it for some time, and still to this day use it, often over the great modelling tools Modo has to offer.  Hexagon just allows me to get in there and get things done with little fuss.  When im working on concept sculpts in Zbrush, and build a quick mesh within Zbrush, the chances are its going to create some real problems with topology, and Hexagon is the first place I take it to in order to fix it.

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2013 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  276
Joined  2007-04-05
CGDreams - 01 May 2013 04:02 AM

Hexagon is a app that seems to work for some really well, and for others hardly at all.  Iv been using it for some time, and still to this day use it, often over the great modelling tools Modo has to offer.  Hexagon just allows me to get in there and get things done with little fuss.  When im working on concept sculpts in Zbrush, and build a quick mesh within Zbrush, the chances are its going to create some real problems with topology, and Hexagon is the first place I take it to in order to fix it.

+ 1

Signature 

http://laticis.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 01 May 2013 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10
Steve athome - 29 April 2013 01:06 AM
RorrKonn - 28 April 2013 11:41 PM

Click on the little icon, it toggles “Activates the transparent display of sub-selection”

I wish I had known that a long time ago…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 01 May 2013 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10
CGDreams - 01 May 2013 04:02 AM

You know what’s funny.  I have Maya.  I have Hexagon.  I’ve been flipping back and forth between the two and I’m finding this is working for me for some strange reason… I’m just learning the modelling tools in Maya, though… so as I get more into it I may be there rather than in Hex… just not quite comfortable with them yet.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 01 May 2013 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-02
wancow - 01 May 2013 08:22 AM

You know what’s funny.  I have Maya.  I have Hexagon.

I find looking through all those Autodesk products on their download page a little daunting, Although I have spent a good many hours with 3DSMax in the past I think for now I should leave it to you younger fellows. Do you suppose that the 36 month student licence might apply to a solitary older chap like myself ? smile

Posted: 01 May 2013 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

It applied to a 50 year old homeless man… smile

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 01 May 2013 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-02

wancow you got me there, now I don’t now whether to laugh of cry..

Posted: 01 May 2013 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

Laugh smile It’s less expensive smile

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 22 May 2013 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11246
Joined  2007-11-06

...I don’t know why Hex still keeps crashing and freezing on me with no warning.  I have the latest update, more than enough memory and processing power on the new workstation (even though the app is still only 32 bit), a fairly fast, powerful GPU (with 1GB DDR5), yet, ten minutes into a simple project (like creating a 1950’s style rocketship) it either freezes up or crashes to the desktop.

...and I haven’t yet tried anything like apply smoothing, extruding, or working with complex curves (which I will need to do for the fins).

Yes, the UI is very nice, but I just wish I could actually make some progress on a project without having to backtrack every ten to fifteen minutes as even intermittent saves are only as good as the last one I did.  It would seriously impact the workflow having to save after every little I change I made.

Development really needs to take a long hard look into these stability issues. I actually paid for Hexagon several years ago during a sale (something like 55$), so yes, I find it a bit discouraging to still experience the same issues with it that I did on the old 32 bit system.

I’d really like to know what others are doing to get it to run smoothly compared to what I have been experiencing.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

2 of 5