Digital Art Zone

1 of 5
How did Hexagon lose its way?
Posted: 22 April 2013 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2003-12-02

I have been playing around in hexagon again and it really is second to none for many features and speed modelling.

Not sure why for hexagon 2.5 it says on its for sale page that its not a universal app. If that was correct it would not be running at all on my mac.

It runs stable. I have not had any crashes at all in over a week of continuous modelling although I have turned of all the graphical fancies like reflective surfaces while modelling.

How did this lose its way. It should be in every ones arsenal.

Watching this video reminded me again why Hexagon drifting by most people is crazy. http://blip.tv/cgdreams/hexagons-most-liked-features-1107138

Mike

Posted: 22 April 2013 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

Fast Extrude is the tool I used most often in Hex.  It’s the most powerful modelling tool it has.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 22 April 2013 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1100
Joined  2003-12-16

I had it running on two otherwise very stable macs and I could not complete a single tutorial without blowing up to the desktop after a few minutes. Switched to Blender after weeks of frustration and found it had so much more in the way of resources and dev and stability.

Signature 

Gravy to potatoes, Luke to Darth Vader, I’m a souped up sucker and I’ll see you all later

Posted: 22 April 2013 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  0

Runs great on my mac mini and mac pro, before the last update, i couldnt get it to run

Posted: 23 April 2013 03:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2003-12-02
dot_bat - 22 April 2013 05:49 PM

Runs great on my mac mini and mac pro, before the last update, i couldnt get it to run

The same for me. Before the last update it was unusable. It also restates what I am saying. People still THINK it is really unstable still. Theya re missing out.

Mike

Posted: 24 April 2013 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1100
Joined  2003-12-16

I was using 2.5,
When was the last stable release released?

Signature 

Gravy to potatoes, Luke to Darth Vader, I’m a souped up sucker and I’ll see you all later

Posted: 25 April 2013 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

2.5.179 was the last release. when? years ago

Posted: 26 April 2013 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2003-12-02

2.5.179 is the version I am running.

Posted: 27 April 2013 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2003-10-09

I just started using Hex. Can’t say if it will be stable or not yet.

Anyways is there a auto save that automatically saves ya work every 1 minute or 5 minutes ?

Thanks

Posted: 27 April 2013 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

I’ve been searching for a new modeler.
Hex has a reputations of crashing so I was skeptical to try it.
But it looks like a killer modeler if it’s usable.

I half to find a new modeler cause I’ve been using C4D 9 for years.
C4D 9 and Windows 8 didn’t work out.
Since Hex ,about .reads 2008.
I’m skeptical if Hex will keep up with Windows upgrades.

Your taking chances with Hex.
Would be my best guess why CGI Artist don’t try Hex.

Since I started on TrueSpace my first 3D App. I would have been happy to stay with it if it worked.
Gets old having to learn new app’s. In stead of creating Art.

Posted: 27 April 2013 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1346
Joined  2008-01-01

You would be surprised at how many top CG artists do in fact use Hex:)

Try Nvil http://digitalfossils.com/ as far as I know it is the only standalone modeler in active development and is pretty amazing.

Posted: 28 April 2013 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  272
Joined  2007-04-05

Hexagon is awesome…...not all the bells and whistles and a little quirky here and there…but brilliant none the less.

I just keep praying for development, it has such huge potential to be great.

I own Lightwave and Modo and still I keep using Hexagon.

Signature 

http://laticis.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 28 April 2013 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-02

@ Rorrkon
I still use Truespace, it has fascinated me since 1998 my first 3d app also smile, that and Bryce. It had and still has what Hexagon does not, plugins and scripts. And this leads me to Mykyl’s original post here.
Hexagon quite simply has the cleanest and fastest interface to work with, I now use it in all of my projects one way or another, just try dragging a .obj file over from a folder and away you go, great. But it is, as he mentions loosing direction, it falls short as it has no scripting or plugins, which is a shame, as that would be a way to carry on with its development.
RorrKonn you mention a new modeller, well I thought I would never get the hang of this application  but found it equally as addictive as Truespace, I use the free version (of course), and it has the all important scripting and plugins that keep it alive and moving forward.
With a very large and helpful scripting and user base, Sketchup, is a whole world on it’s own and better for it, I would not have been able to create this scaled and detailed British Telephone Box,  referenced from one just around the corner from my flat here in London without using some of the excellent freely available plugin scripts.
And Merlin the cat would not have a Shaker style cat closet with all mod cons smile

Image Attachments
sketchup-grab.pngK6_Construction_Render_Test_result.jpgcatbox.png

Posted: 28 April 2013 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

I’m liking Hex
truespace had a auto save Hex got one ?
that automatically saves ya work every 5 minutes.

I’ll check sketch up ,Nvil out.
Have LW 7 thinking about getting LW 11.
but I can’t really tell a difference between LW & Blender.
It’s a shame Blender has such a odd work flow.
Drives me insane trying to model in Blender

Posted: 28 April 2013 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-02

No auto save, RorrKon best if you need it to use incremental saving, it has to be done manually though just remember to “control+shift+s” every so often, I have never used it as I tend to “control+s” mostly or “save as” when happy with the stage arrived at.
Hex files I have noticed are extremely good with low file sizes compared to . obj files of the same model.

Posted: 28 April 2013 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1346
Joined  2008-01-01

Yeah, they all have their uses and specialties - all depends on personal preference and what you want to do, which tool you would use.

Hex actually has pretty useful sculpting abilities - the attached pic is of a cartoon head sculpted in Hex by Nate Owens - starting from a cube.

Auto save has its uses, but I think sequential is better - with auto save you could save something bad over your good model and no way to step back.

Image Attachments
Nate.jpg

1 of 5