Digital Art Zone

21 of 100
Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope
Posted: 05 July 2013 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 301 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2013-07-01
head wax - 04 July 2013 08:10 PM

congrats Steve, you’re a fast learner ! welcome to Carrara forum too. (smiley here)

Thank you head wax, I had a lot of fun doing this.

Dartanbeck - 05 July 2013 03:54 PM
shumphry - 04 July 2013 05:07 PM

My first addition to the render thread.

Steve

A most excellent start.
Love that image!

Thanks Dartanbeck, I will start working on a new scene with the psiMans two companions, psiDog and psiFly. They all looked so cool and two were on special I just had to get all of them at Renderosity.

Cool model and render it all fits together so well.

Steve

Posted: 06 July 2013 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 302 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1952
Joined  2008-01-28

Pleasure Steve.
If you get a chance you are very welcome to put something in the current challenge.
The more the merrier. (smiley here)

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 06 July 2013 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 303 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2012-03-27

Adding one more image C coughed out. smile

Image Attachments
96.png
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_10.png

Posted: 06 July 2013 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 304 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  2006-08-27
Ilena52 - 06 July 2013 06:47 PM

Nicely done! What’s the hair that you used?

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 06 July 2013 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 305 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5967
Joined  2007-12-04

Yes. I like the whole scene. Looks great!
This is another of my experiments towards the grading and post work effects that I can now apply to my animations using Howler. Silly of me to overwrite the original. Next time I’ll save the original shot so I can show you the huge difference between the stock render and this enhanced version. And, again… it’s for animation clip work, not stills. This is my yet unfinished V6 version of my character. I will still need to acquire or create more expressions before I could actually use her as my actress… but I’m sure that will come soon. I still like my V4 version but this one is much better to work with as far as creating my own things for her - due to the magical possibilities between Carrara and the new Daz Studio Pro.

Image Attachments
RTG2WLSR1A.jpg
 Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 07 July 2013 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 306 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-01
Ilena52 - 06 July 2013 06:47 PM

I really like the image Ilena52, great outfit and really nice hair.

Dartanbeck - 06 July 2013 11:54 PM

Yes. I like the whole scene. Looks great!
This is another of my experiments towards the grading and post work effects that I can now apply to my animations using Howler. Silly of me to overwrite the original. Next time I’ll save the original shot so I can show you the huge difference between the stock render and this enhanced version. And, again… it’s for animation clip work, not stills. This is my yet unfinished V6 version of my character. I will still need to acquire or create more expressions before I could actually use her as my actress… but I’m sure that will come soon. I still like my V4 version but this one is much better to work with as far as creating my own things for her - due to the magical possibilities between Carrara and the new Daz Studio Pro.

Nice! Love the sense of movement in the scene.

Posted: 07 July 2013 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 307 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-27

EP, the hair name’s eurydice.

Image Attachments
Pozadina.png
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

Posted: 07 July 2013 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 308 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Another great image. Good eye for framing. Love that tree on the right, and the realism of the contrasty sky blasting light through the leaves, slightly obscuring them as it wraps around them on it’s way through. Very nice.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 08 July 2013 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 309 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

What the… ?

Image Attachments
We_Gotta_Get_Outta_Here.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 08 July 2013 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 310 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-01

I love the sky effects you can get with Carrara, still need lots of practice with shaders, every time I tried to make the hair a bit shinier it ended up too glossy.

Image Attachments
002-AlinPlanet.jpg

Posted: 08 July 2013 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 311 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
shumphry - 08 July 2013 05:55 PM

I love the sky effects you can get with Carrara, still need lots of practice with shaders, every time I tried to make the hair a bit shinier it ended up too glossy.

I totally agree - and it’s funny you should say that when you did - for today was my “work on hair” day. The big problem with trying to highlight hair via lights and shaders, is that it’s not hair. It’s ribbons with maps to try and achieve a hair look. Or if you use Carrara hair, which can get nicer highlights, it’s volumetric or something. So it has it’s down sides as well. But since I cannot truly predict the actions of dynamic hair - I use the ribbons of mesh.
So I’ve tried combining the alpha maps with the bump maps and playing with the actual brightness of that to try and limit where the highlight would happen according to the shininess. No matter what I tried, I got unnatural effects. The best I’ve achieved so far is using combinations of maps, similar to what I’ve just described, in the glow channel. I’ve even tried using subsurface scattering to assist in changing the appearance of the hair according to the amount of light behind it. But light from behind simply doesn’t highlight our mesh ribbons like it does our natural hair.

I did a bunch of mesh changes to the layers of figure hair that you always see on my Rosie Character. I was watching some of my older clips, and somehow the hair isn’t as super-cool as it used to be - so I worked on that - and I think it’s the best it’s ever been yet. Now I need to adjust the morph that I added to work better with the new changes - and add some new morphs that I’ve been dying to add.

So after that was finished (for the day) I began what I was intending to do today - which was to start some of my movie production work. I decided to start with my Woodlands as a base - create a plateau - like clearing, and start my needed animation work. The other day’s work on the July Contest image used a Tim Payne Surreal sky that looks a lot like what you have there… and I loved it! So I decided to use the Realistic Sky editor’s clouds. What a joy that was. I can now see how Tim is so successful at creating such excellent skies using those 2d clouds - tweaking their settings!

Top: I still have some issues to resolve, but here’s Rosie new Hair fixes so far. This is my trusty V4 version of Rosie.
Below: One frame of animation that’s using the new sky I just made. It wasn’t meant to be all colorful like the TP one. This is a dreary day, my friends - and it smells like Orc outside!

Image Attachments
Doc4.jpgDoc3.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 08 July 2013 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 312 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Oh… I wanted to tell you, shumphry, that I really like your render. She’s gonna get hot in that, though. I have more torn rags around here somewhere, I think? lol
Very nice. You do a nice job with shaders. Specular highlights are fun to dial in, eh? I love it! That’s what nearly killed me about that hair thing. I believe it was the previous “Post You Renders” thread where I was trying all manner of things for that. I’m sure it can be done - with enough patience. Maybe not. I spent a lot of time - but this is Carrara, the land of multitude of methods. Perhaps displacement painting could change the ribbons into something more like hair. Don’t get me wrong, though - I’m not knocking the ‘ribbons’ design. I love it. I just wanted some natural highlights when I have major back lighting going on! lol

Sorry for the babble!

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2013 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 313 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-01

Thanks Dartanbeck, I’m sure I saw a video tutorial where the creator used a very slight reflection on the hair to bring out the highlights and it looked good but can’t remember which video it was as I have watched so many over the last week.

I did use one of Tim Payne’s skies, (the Carrara Skies Bundle and DP Carrara Master Collection Shaders were the first two additions to my Library) All I did to it was change the position of the sun so that it was visible in the scene.

BTW I really like Rosie’s hair, it has lots of volume.

Steve

Posted: 09 July 2013 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 314 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-27

The two of you with the landscaping and with the sky behind the girl are to blame for this.^.^ I really like what Carrara showed so far.

Image Attachments
Doc226.png
 Signature 

AD
“)

Posted: 09 July 2013 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 315 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-01
Ilena52 - 09 July 2013 10:54 PM

The two of you with the landscaping and with the sky behind the girl are to blame for this.^.^ I really like what Carrara showed so far.

That is looking really nice Ilena, like you I love the atmospheres that can be created in Carrara but I have to stop playing with them for a while so I can start learning how to make landscapes to use with them.

That is a nice model you are using in the scene, wheres it from?

Steve

21 of 100