Digital Art Zone

20 of 100
Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope
Posted: 03 July 2013 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 286 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2011-01-03

Been really busy at work lately…so I haven’t had much time for 3D fun.

I did create a tanto knife in LightWave to learn some sub-division modeling techniques. The OBJ export is available on ShareCG at that link.

Feel free to bring that into Carrara and tweak it up.

This image is an older version of the file—it should appear to be a bit sharper and more lethal now in the model! {winky smiley here}

Image Attachments
render_1.png
 Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 03 July 2013 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 287 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5952
Joined  2007-12-04

Freaking amazing that you JUST got into this not long ago. Now you’re in LW making SubD models! Proud of you, bud!
It would probably have turned out better if you made it in Carrara.
Hah! Kidding! lol
You know me and Carrara!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 03 July 2013 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 288 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 03 July 2013 03:30 PM

Freaking amazing that you JUST got into this not long ago. Now you’re in LW making SubD models! Proud of you, bud!
It would probably have turned out better if you made it in Carrara.
Hah! Kidding! lol
You know me and Carrara!

Thanks Dart. I’ll have some breathing room tomorrow on the July 4 holiday (Happy Birthday USA!) so I’ll be sure to Carrar-ize it then.

I am also going to dive for the 3D mouse—it’d be awesome if C8.5 would support that!

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 03 July 2013 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 289 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Doubtful. 8.5 is only intended to add Genesis support - even though it does make Carrara a much better machine, in my opinion, whether you use Genesis or not.
Also… you know I was only ribbing you on the LW thing. LightWave rocks - and everybody knows it!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 03 July 2013 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 290 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 03 July 2013 05:37 PM

Also… you know I was only ribbing you on the LW thing. LightWave rocks - and everybody knows it!

Of course I knew that! In Australian, “Dartanbeck” means “The One Who Ribs.” {insert goofy grin smiley here}

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 03 July 2013 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 291 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4917
Joined  2006-08-27
Garstor - 03 July 2013 05:58 PM
Dartanbeck - 03 July 2013 05:37 PM

Of course I knew that! In Australian, “Dartanbeck” means “The One Who Ribs.” {insert goofy grin smiley here}

And in American English, “Dartanbeck” means: Crazy rock haulin’ Cheesehead!

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 03 July 2013 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 292 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

And, don’t forget: “Danimal the mad manimal Beck… a Dog’s Best Friend”
A name I picked up in Chicago after I calmed a charging Doberman Pincher into licking my face. The group of people that I’ve ended up knowing for years afterwards, I had just met an hour or so earlier - and stood there shocked! It was funny!

Signature 

Posted: 04 July 2013 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 293 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2013-07-01

My first addition to the render thread.

Steve

Image Attachments
psiMan-004.jpg

Posted: 04 July 2013 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 294 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1944
Joined  2008-01-28

congrats Steve, you’re a fast learner ! welcome to Carrara forum too. (smiley here)

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 05 July 2013 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 295 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
shumphry - 04 July 2013 05:07 PM

My first addition to the render thread.

Steve

A most excellent start.
Love that image!

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2013 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 296 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Hey Gars-Man,
All LW vs Carrara joking aside, I like this knife. A most generous offering… Thanks.

Okay, back to the LW vs Carrara jibes, I think it’s funny how one of DAZ’s major tutorial providers is who tore you from Carrara and plunged you headlong into LightWave! lol
It goes along with my theory that DAZ 3D doesn’t really want to force your hand toward using any one software over the next - so long as you’re having fun and creating what you want how you want. I have yet to see a reason to switch from Carrara to LightWave from a ‘final result’ point of view - but I haven’t been looking either. Once I get some free browsing time, I’ll have to head to their site and do some more looking around. I do know that LW is vast in its features and capabilities - and that it’s one of the top dogs.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2013 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 297 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 05 July 2013 04:06 PM

Hey Gars-Man, All LW vs Carrara joking aside, I like this knife. A most generous offering… Thanks.

You’re welcome Dart! Alas, I didn’t get a chance to tweak it up in Carrara yesterday.

Okay, back to the LW vs Carrara jibes, I think it’s funny how one of DAZ’s major tutorial providers is who tore you from Carrara and plunged you headlong into LightWave!

The spam was totally worth it! {insert tonguing smiley here}

It goes along with my theory that DAZ 3D doesn’t really want to force your hand toward using any one software over the next - so long as you’re having fun and creating what you want how you want. I have yet to see a reason to switch from Carrara to LightWave from a ‘final result’ point of view - but I haven’t been looking either. Once I get some free browsing time, I’ll have to head to their site and do some more looking around. I do know that LW is vast in its features and capabilities - and that it’s one of the top dogs.

You could be right with that theory. But then you don’t see Microsoft saying, “Hey, go ahead and use Oracle instead of SQL Server! So long as you are having fun!” {insert winking smiley here}

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 05 July 2013 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 298 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Garstor - 05 July 2013 05:49 PM

You could be right with that theory. But then you don’t see Microsoft saying, “Hey, go ahead and use Oracle instead of SQL Server! So long as you are having fun!” {insert winking smiley here}

I know. None of us are really all that used to that sort of thinking - really. But DAZ really began as a content creation/sales store. Daz Studio was a means to continue in case Poser disappeared. Daz will come right out and say: “... and I was using Modo for this example, but you could use your favorite ....”. Selling Carrara and Bryce is selling competition to their own software creation, that is Daz Studio. Kinda cool, really.

Here’s a beginning to trying Carrara and Daz Studio to make a clothing set for the new Genesis 2 Female. This is a low res top piece with smoothing set at 2 in Carrara. I did this for the purposes of using Daz Studio SubD smoothing in the end result. I still have to name the polygons to match the rigging, as described by Phil Wilkes in Chapter seven of his Advanced Carrara techniques, but I have already applied UV mapping and textured the harness with a map - but the metal is all just procedural out of the Carrara browser to give it a temporary starting point. I just used a simple bi-gradient and global illumination to see those shaders.

Image Attachments
G2FPW_Top1Ant.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2013 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 299 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Now that I’ve just named all of the polygons, I’d like to point out that there are new bones in the Gen2Female rig that should help a lot with auto-follow. These might also be present in Genesis, but not generation 4 figures: Right and Left Pectorals. These each have a bone within the rigging now - rather that relying only on morphs. Now I export according to Phil’s advice, of which I am very grateful, and import into Daz Studio.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2013 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 300 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

It takes a little getting used to the process of getting it all done - but looking at the time stamp between two posts up and this one, that’s not very long to have a nice clothing item all rigged, weight mapped and structured into the newest Daz Studio format - readable by Carrara 8.5 as standard content - no fitting required. V6 just auto morphed into place. I’ll still go through and make morphs for some of the morphs that exist on the figure - to prevent certain changes from taking place. I also want to make texture maps and other shape-change morphs. But DS has proven to perform some incredible work in very little time - and I still can’t see why Carrara gets picked on in the modeling world.

Image Attachments
G2FPW_Top1AntRT.jpg
 Signature 

20 of 100