Digital Art Zone

19 of 100
Post Your Renders - #5: Yet More Hope
Posted: 28 June 2013 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 271 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  159
Joined  2006-07-14

This is a menu background for a BluRay disc of a trip to Branson, MO during Thanksgiving week.

Image Attachments
Branson_Menu_copy.jpg

Posted: 28 June 2013 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 272 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6135
Joined  2007-12-04

Nice scene, kakman! I clicked on it and just let myself get lost in all that’s going on. During this, I was really liking your trees. While Carrara’s Plant Editor is fun and cool, there are some really great trees on the market - and I have purchased quite a few. It’s fun - and gives us great variety.
Hey, Thanks for sharing!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 28 June 2013 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 273 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-14

Dartanbeck,

Thank you very much for the comments.  The trees and the terrain are from the Forest Autumn product sold here at DAZ.

My wife and I travel quite a bit - and family, friends and some of our clients were always asking to see pictures from our trips.  I used to make several copies of them to distribute until I realized it would be easier and much more fun to make a DVD of them set to music (it really is such an enjoyable experience to watch them on a 60” widescreen with the stereo cranked up).  So when we returned from Copenhagen in 2005, I began to figure out how to do it all.  Now, instead of having photo albums (which we would hardly ever look at) taking up room and collecting dust, we can just pop in a DVD and enjoy our travel memories whenever we want.  It is way better then passing a book around from person to person.

I always want each disc to be different from the others (Branson was the 21st).  For this disc I wanted the menu to be reminiscent of the old “Highlights” magazine (see how many things you can find in the picture) that was always in doctors and dentists offices when I was a kid.

In Branson, Christmas is already in full swing by the start of Thanksgiving week.  During our trip we went to the Butterfly Palace, The Toy Museum, two different drive-thru light displays and of course Silver Dollar City amusement park.  So, the various characters in the scene are a hint of what is to come on the disc.

Posted: 28 June 2013 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 274 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6135
Joined  2007-12-04

How very cool! What a great idea! Now you should try animating the whole thing into a short(ish) loop to have a motion background for your menu! Of course, I’d suggest doing this using several clips that you later edit together to form the looping (it doesn’t even have to loop!) video - save that and use it for your video!

I only say this because I bought Carrara mainly to be my animation film studio. I was (and still am) amazed at how much more Carrara is than what I really bought it for. My animations are now turning out looking really cool - and I use the Batch Queue to let my animated clips render as I sleep. Using several filming cameras at different angles and distances within the same scene can add a lot more mileage to each animation made. Here’s an early test I made - joining a bunch of test render clips together and adding sound and music just to try my Sony Movie HD software towards editing possibilities.

Anyways… no animation necessary- I was just making my usual plug towards that end! lol

Love that render, you did a really nice job.

BTW, the hospital I take my daughter to still carries “Highlights” in their waiting rooms!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 28 June 2013 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 275 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

“Genesis tawho?”

Image Attachments
genesis_tawho.jpg

Posted: 28 June 2013 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 276 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-14

Dartanbeck,

I couldn’t agree with you more! Animation is what FIRST drew me to Carrara.  I wanted to do an animated menu for Disc #10, a Christmas trip to Denver and found Carrara.  For that menu I used a snow covered mountain terrain with Polar Bears sliding down the mountain and flying off the screen.  That was my very first experience with Carrara and I was hooked and have been happily animating ever since.  (My most recent animation was a hula sequence with 2 rows of 5 hula female dancers and one main dancer in the front for the introduction of a disc of a Christmas trip to Hawaii).

My first disc was fairly simple (I used Pro Show Gold for that one).  My second disc was a trip to South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore, Deadwood, Wall and the Badlands.  I realized that I wanted to have credits for that one with dates, sights, restaurants, etc.  I decided I wanted to use the “Star Wars” title effect (scrolling off into the distance) and I discovered BluffTitler, which is an incredible and inexpensive piece of software with a terrific community of users (check it out, I think you will be amazed).

Once I outgrew Pro Show I went to Sony Movie Studio and then to Sony Vegas Pro.

As we travel a lot for Thanksgiving and Christmas, I was running out of music (I have never used the same song by the same artist twice except for intros) and so I decided I needed to do my own instrumental versions of Christmas songs.  It was at that point that I found Reaper and Native Instruments.

Posted: 29 June 2013 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 277 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4717
Joined  2004-07-01

the damned - where’s Stan

Image Attachments
the_damned.jpg

Posted: 29 June 2013 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 278 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-14

I used this as a background for some animated credits titles.  The set is Flipmode’s Easy Environments Top of the World.

It took me quite a lot of trial and error (which is not unusal since I possess absolutely no expertise) to get the set to look right in Carrara, particluarly the Sky Box (especially to eliminate the “seams”) and the associated lighting.  I am sure there are much better methods to use instead of my convoluted approach, but I did get it to work to my satisfaction.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Image Attachments
Top_Of_The_World_Vista.jpg

Posted: 29 June 2013 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 279 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-01
kakman - 29 June 2013 07:36 PM

I used this as a background for some animated credits titles.  The set is Flipmode’s Easy Environments Top of the World.

It took me quite a lot of trial and error (which is not unusal since I possess absolutely no expertise) to get the set to look right in Carrara, particluarly the Sky Box (especially to eliminate the “seams”) and the associated lighting.  I am sure there are much better methods to use instead of my convoluted approach, but I did get it to work to my satisfaction.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

sky looks great - terrain not so much

Posted: 29 June 2013 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 280 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

I’m blaiming head wax for this. I was going through my carrara object folder and found this neat lamp. Spent the rest of the day on this.

“Left behind”

Image Attachments
left_behind.jpg

Posted: 29 June 2013 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 281 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2019
Joined  2008-01-28

heh, sorry ManStan, it was obviously worth the time, nice render (smiley here). The tattooed Genesis is great too. (exclamation mark here)

Kakman. love your sense of design, really interesting repetition of elements.

by the way MN, I think Bigh is calling you out.

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 30 June 2013 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 282 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-01

Damned - seek and you will find

Image Attachments
the_bamned_2.jpg

Posted: 30 June 2013 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 283 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-14

I have read over and over again, in this forum (and elsewhere), about the importance of lighting (which I agree with).  I finally purchased the Jeremy Birn book and along with his book and all the incredible and generous advice offered by the fantastic participants in this forum (which I can’t possibly thank all of you enough for) I have produced this image.

While it may not be an “accurate” image, for me it evokes a “mood” and a “feeling” that I am actually happy with (finally!).  Of course it may well NOT strike a chord with anyone else, but at least I feel as if I accomplished something that I have been striving to do.

So, while it is hardly enough, I offer a big, heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone that has given so much of their time, expertise and help.  There is no way I could have gotten this far without all of you.  I wholeheartedly look forward to continuing my Carrara education that this forum so kindly provides.

Image Attachments
Moon_Gate_3.jpg

Posted: 30 June 2013 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 284 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2019
Joined  2008-01-28

lovely glow on the moon kakman!

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 01 July 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 285 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5293
Joined  2006-08-27

I agree. Nice job! Night scenes can be very difficult to light.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

19 of 100